Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

ECU Disconnect

Discussion in 'CARC' started by Vt-Guzzi, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Vt-Guzzi

Vt-Guzzi Just got it firing!

I have a 2013 Stelvio NTX. A few weeks ago I had a no start issue. Stopped for lunch and afterwards with the key on I got the triangle of death and ECU-Disconnect message. This mode also does not show the Neutral light. While checking things out I found that the main 30amp fuse under the seat was a bit corroded. Still nothing. About 20 minutes later the bike showed the neutral light and no disconnect message so I hit the start button. It would start and then quickly die. Giving extra gas had no effect. Eventually it does catch and run, poorly. It does iron out enough to get home. Then it works fine for a few rides until it acts up again. I have inspected and cleaned all the fuse, relay and ground connections.

I also installed a Solenoid relay. After that it fired right up! I turned it off and got my gear on to go for a test ride. When I got back on it wouldn't start. It quickly progressed through the same start fazes.

The last couple of days I have had no issues. It starts up normally. As you might suspect, I have lost faith in the reliability and therefore I am not taking it camping on my week off.

Any ideas on what is going on here? Thanks, Jon

2. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

There is a ground wire on the body of the ECU. Make sure that is clean and tight. I've seen ECU failures from a poor ground at that location.

Nordicnorm, Moto-Uno and Mayakovski like this.
  3. Vt-Guzzi

Vt-Guzzi Just got it firing!

It is clean and tight.

4. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Next check the connector to the dash.

5. DeadEye

DeadEye Cruisin' Guzzisti

Either some crappy / intermittent electrical connection - or the ECU has some component that is on the verge or failing.

6. scottmastrocinque

scottmastrocinque Scott Mastrocinque GT Famiglia

BATTERY...BATTERY...BATTERY.

Take it to Auto Parts store and load test it. (Not a voltmeter reading). LOAD TEST.

Bet you it fails.

90% of issues like this I have encountered are bad batteries.

Moto-Uno likes this.
  7. Nordicnorm

Nordicnorm Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I have no intention of hi-jacking, but I have had a rash of service alerts lately (B-11) and was about to ask the question about any alternate ground connections besides the main one behind the starter. I get fault codes 1 through 7 in the dash memory, which would indicate a faulty ground. I have cleaned all connectors I could find after lifting the tank. I will investigate and also check the connector inside the dash as John suggests.
    Timely info much appreciated.

8. 2veloce

2veloce Tuned and Synch'ed

Here's another vote to check the battery first. I always keep my battery on a high quality 'tender'. Once morning I thumbed the starter and pulled away heading to the gas station. After filling, thumbed the starter and got a very brief attempt to turn over. I pulled out my VOM meter and voltage read 12.9 volts. Terminals perfectly tight and clean. Thumbed again and zero. I have the startus-interruptus so I know that wasn't the issue. Got the wife to come to the station and jump me off and got the bike home. Measured the voltage again and got 13.1. Tore into everything and discovered nothing that should prevent a start. Now to the internet. After hours or readying, I found a two sentence post that said some Guzzi ECU's shut down the starting sequence if the voltage is less than, if I remember correctly, 10.5 or 11 volts. You can hear the starter solenoid engage but nothing else happens afterwards when the ECU takes over.

At first I dismissed this since I measured 12.9 volts at the station even after the several starts attempts and with the idiot lights and fuel pump whirling and I]m sure drawing down the battery. BUT, what i didn't immediately realize was that the battery was weak and the starting load was pulling the voltage down below the ECU starting threshold. After a couple more hours I decided to got the auto parts store and get the battery checked. Cold cranking amps was about 50. BINGO. Purchased a new battery and all is good. Not a problem since.

Moto-Uno and scottmastrocinque like this.
  9. scottmastrocinque

EXACTLY 2veloce !

I get so exasperated trying to teach people that a voltmeter reading across the + and - terminals of a battery reads SURFACE VOLTAGE.

When you do a LOAD TEST, it checks the condition of the cells and their ability to maintain both VOLTAGE and CURRENT which are not the same thing! Many batteries causing these Dash error code problems will read 12.2+ V, but will absolutely fail a load test.

Whenever you encounter ECU Dash errors, CHECK THE BATTERY WITH A LOAD TEST! If it fails, replace it and 99.9% of the time those errors magically disappear.

Bravo on your post!

10. Nordicnorm

Duly noted, and I thank you both. My youngest battery which lives on a tender, is going in for a load test.

11. stinga

stinga Tuned and Synch'ed

I am under the understanding that if a battery shows fully charged while using a volt meter but drops to 8.7v, indicated on the volt meter, during start up that this is a sure indicator that the battery has dropped a cell or stuffed.
    Correct me if I'm wrong.

12. scottmastrocinque

In essence, for practical purposes, yes.

https://batteryuniversity.com/

13. Moto-Uno

Moto-Uno Cruisin' Guzzisti

^^ No need for correction :) . Peter

14. Nordicnorm

My battery passed the load test no problem, but I noticed when undoing the terminals that they were somewhat looser than I would expect. I use Permatex Battery Saver, a highly conductive grease and anti corrosion agent (as opposed to Dielectric grease).
    Having re-installed the battery I have had no sign of Service Alerts in several days of riding.
    Maybe lubrication and vibration could loosen the battery terminals over time?
    I will certainly keep an eye on them in the future.
    So YES, indirectly the battery was my problem too. Quite a relief actually!

15. scottmastrocinque

Great! Congratulations.

Please though people...

DIELECTRIC GREASE IS AN INSULATOR!

It is not conductive and should never be applied to electrical connections.

It’s principal use on motorcycles is on old rubber style spark plug boots on the ignition wires, to facilitate easy slipping of the rubber over the porcelain insulator of the spark plug WITHOUT allowing arcing (BECAUSE IT’S AN INSULATOR!)

If I could get people here to understand One Key Concept here, this understanding would be it.

john zibell, Moto-Uno and Nordicnorm like this.