• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

ECU disconnected error

Ghost_Bullet

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I was on a returning trip home, after close to 1000km. I passed a car, and suddenly the service light flashed on the dash, and large service letters came on, then off, the ecu notice on the dash came on to say it was not connected, the speedo and tach would jump in unison from normal condition speed etc, to zero.

The weird thing was that the engine/bikes physical operation did not alter at all. After some time everything mentioned above returned to normal condition. When getting home, I checked the dash ecu errors, nothing noted. The ecu was connected firmly. Prior to this journy, I had sprayed all the plugs/connections with a electrical silicon spray, which I have done a number of times previous.

The bike starts and runs fine. More concern is intimitant faults that cause not resolved, and when/what could happen next time.... I have no desire to be on a ride, then have to trailer the thing home... Ha ha.

The bikes now done over 103,000km. And still overall awesome.

Ideas?

And the grounding lug behind the starter motor too.

Isn't your ride a Griso? I believe the earler ones were prone to water egress at the ECU connector. I think there was a "waterproof" connector cover made for the Stelvio which may help. Others hoprfully may chime in with more accurate information on this.

there is also a wire loop ( orange) , under the cover at the back of the seat , held by x2 bolts . check this

I had a 12000 mile service, road to Guzzi dealers in rain all fine, following the service the bike wouldn't idle, mechanic changed all sorts with no change, eventually griso fired up and ran ok. Managed to get home but a few splutters on way home. Decided to check wiring and Ecu plugs, the brown connector on Ecu had muck in it so I cleaned it and put the Ecu back in frame. Started up bike and display said Ecu disconnected, took Ecu off frame and turned on bike, no Ecu error and all looked ok but bike will not start.

Is there any code required to start bike following Ecu removal ? Might there be a problem with cable to Ecu.

Last edited:
No code is needed after ECU removal. Could be most anything. Do you have any active error codes?

No code is needed after ECU removal. Could be most anything. Do you have any active error codes?
problem solved, i found a seal missing around the edu connector, there was water in the connector. cleaned the connector and placed rubber o seal to create a water tight seal.

The Griso appears to be fine except for an oil leek now.

Ive just replaced the crank/flange gasket and sump gasket, took the bike out for two short rides and no oil leeks. Went out at weekend for a ride, hot day, when i got back oil appeared again? it looks like it's coming from above the flange, when the bike is on the side stand oil moves to the left side rear. Any ideas?

Pictures of both sides of the engine would help on the oil leak issue.
Ok thanks I'll take some photos and upload
I am wondering if the leak is coming from other side of clutch drum (transmission cage) I also replaced the inspection plug on transmission cage . There is a gasket no. 874257 between crank case and flange?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    53.4 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    116.6 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    142.5 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    68.4 KB · Views: 33
When the bike is on the side stand oil will collect at flange/ crank case, rear (side stand side of bike)

Check the hoses at the air box. There is one line meant to drain oil collected in the air box. The end of that line should be down below the frame on the right side with a rubber plug in it. If it is missing, or very low it may have disconnected and the oil is running down the block..

Has any one ever considered moving the ECU from the front of the Griso to a better place?How many Griso owners get water in the ECU?

Would there be potential under the petrol tank or would it be too hot?

Thanks for advice, I was looking at one today and only £6 gbp so it's worth a try. The Ecu connectors are on top on the Griso so it might work.

I've learned to only ride my Griso when it's dry to avoid electrical problems but then I live in California where we don't get much rain. The roads tend to be very slippery in the rain due to the 40+ million people. Finally being old, ridden hard and put away wet (myself) I'll take my car, jeep or pickup and keep my G11 for better days.

Back