• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Either I'm hearing things or I am getting too old.

jest2dogs

Just got it firing!
Just got back from a 1,186 mile tour of Washington on the 750 Breva. It was my wife's first big trip. We have taken several local trips of 50-165 miles and she had become more comfortable riding pillion. On this trip she really shined, taking pictures and tapping me on the shoulder to point out things I may have missed. The only times she gave me a "thumbs down" sign was for chills or potty breaks. And we had many laughs reviewing her photographic attempts; my knee, a few of the guard rail, a couple of lovely pictures of sidewalk... No, really she took some great photos, not an easy thing to do while moving and operating a camera with gloves on and trying to look through a viewfinder while wearing a helmet and sunglasses. Barb's a consummate packer as well, having done a lot of business travel she packs efficiently, quickly and travels lightly. We had a great trip. It wasn't always easy. There were ferocious headwinds, dangerous pavement on the backside of Mt.St.Helens, and the temperature dropped on the last day and we both got a bit chilled on the last leg. But there were fantastic geological sites like Dry Falls, the tour of the smoke jumper base in Twisp, the Grand Coulee Dam tour, the grass fire at the side of the road on the Colville Reservation and the observatory at Goldendale. Ah, the joys of motorcycling! :O)

But now more to the tech questions...

The 750 Breva ran very well. I had to add 250cc of oil at Coulee Dam. Inclusively, I have had to add only 550cc in the 3,521 miles up to that point. We still put on another 700 miles after that. (I just rechecked the level to find it about 1/2 way+ down between "FULL" and the "ADD" marks.)

What I noticed on the last leg (about 200 miles) was that the valves now sound louder on the right side, there seems to be more whine/howl from the motor (especially under acceleration/load), the rear brake squeals and the front brake has a possible warp.

This last item I noticed while rolling with engine off downhill beside a friend last night as he walked. With a very light, constant pressure on the front brake lever to slow my descent, he and I both noticed the sound of the pads dragging, then not, then dragging again, as I rolled down the hill. Like the rotor was warped, or thin in places.

Not having a proper service manual, are the tappets due for readjustment at 4,200 miles?

I am not the only one who notices the engine whine. A friend noted that he finds it louder than the exhaust note while at idle. That was disconcerting. I always thought of the MG exhaust note to be the most distinctive sound, but he notes the whine moreso, and, now, so do I.

Is it me or does the girl (the Breva, not my wife) need some attention at only 4,200 miles. I had planned an oil/filter change this week. Is more exppected? (My wife gets plenty of attention from me, if any were wondering :O)

I checked the tappet clearances at about 2,500 miles and they were spot on perfect (MI had done an excellent job at the first service.)

Anyway, the noises have me wondering.

-Jesse

I'm not too sure about the whine, but on a new machine you may need to do a valve adjustment a little more frequently. They do settle in after a few more miles. You can get all the manuals you need from this forum in the download area.

jest2dogs said:
Is it me or does the girl (the Breva, not my wife) need some attention at only 4,200 miles. I had planned an oil/filter change this week. Is more exppected? (My wife gets plenty of attention from me, if any were wondering :O)
-Jesse

Yup. I'm at 10k kilometers and most certainly due for my third round of adjustments as I noticed the same right side sounds as you mention while on a ride today. The last adjustment needed was about 5500 kilometers and, of course, at the first service.

I'm not sure whether it's a unique Breva, but the service intervals seem a little far apart for what the bike actually requires.

I'm quite sure I answered to this topic before, but it seems to be a gonner... :huh:

The gearbox tends to whine a little. Noticable but not overwhelming, mostly in 5th gear, and won't be heard at all if you're waring earplugs :mrgreen: . Straight cut gears is the explanation.
If the whining increases, leave the bike to your dealer immediately if the guarantee is still valid. Muzz wrote a looong story on that theme over at the WG board. In his case it seems like a bearing was missing on the outgoing gearbox shaft...... :!:
NickW here posted a terrific manual on his gearbox woes and how to deal with them, a week or two ago.
Hope it's around after all late forum chnages. :dry:

But don't let this frighten you though, these are the only gearbox issues I've heard about, concerning 750 Brevas!

Well, I posed these questions to the service department at MI earlier this week and, tho' Micha is on vacation, Jason (2nd in command?) got back to me promptly with answers and insight into the quirks of small blocks. This is just the kind of stuff I need to know!

The engine whine is most likely due to input shaft noise and is considered characteristic to the small blocks.

The louder right side tappets are due to the fact that the right cylinder works harder than the left by having to turn the crank through more degrees of rotation between firings, compared to the left side. This will show in more frequent adjustments and eventually a bit more wear on the right side.

The rear brake squeal is most likely due to some contamination which thay have offered to clean up when I bring the bike in for warranty work. Yeah, the front rotor is most likely warped and is still under warranty but I haven't had an official response to that yet.

Oil usage is not excessive for a small block and considering the mountain roads, high heat, headwinds, luggage and two-up, I would say it was very acceptable.

As was my mileage, which averaged 50 mpg over the 1,200 mile trip.

About oil... My local bike shops do not regularly carry 10/60 synthetic and I just had to special order three liters of Motorex (@ $14.99 ea!). Any better deals out there?

-Jesse

jest2dogs said:
About oil... My local bike shops do not regularly carry 10/60 synthetic and I just had to special order three liters of Motorex (@ $14.99 ea!). Any better deals out there?

-Jesse

Dunno how it is on the left side of the pond, but here I found that small garages dealing with sporty BMW cars (M-models mainly) carry the Agip 10-60, as it is much cheaper then the usual recommended Castrol for these cars. The later I've seen at €40 a liter.... :lol:
Specs are the same.

jest2dogs said:
... the right cylinder works harder than the left by having to turn the crank through more degrees of rotation between firings, compared to the left side.

Huh? Intuitively, one would expect that this ought to be symmetric, no? Can anyone confirm this?

If true, it would explain why the right cylinder seems more prone to pinging than the left, I guess.

RJVB said:
jest2dogs said:
... the right cylinder works harder than the left by having to turn the crank through more degrees of rotation between firings, compared to the left side.

Huh? Intuitively, one would expect that this ought to be symmetric, no? Can anyone confirm this?

If true, it would explain why the right cylinder seems more prone to pinging than the left, I guess.

No, in fact very uneven. Don't remember the sequence by heart though. Someone will, doubtless. :lol:

Well I just got through my 15.400 kilometer service this past weekend and found the bike to be in very good order. Did valve adjustment for the first time! Valves were set to spec. No noises, no whining or I'm totally deaf. :roll: My rear brake pads did have to go. They were way down. Oil consumption is within norm and no longer an issue with the Sumpspacer. Changed the air filter; it was a bit dirty and had like some very fine sand particles. (I do live by the sea you know.) Did not reset TPS with VDSTS as the bike is idling fine and throttle control appears perfect. (Don't mess with a good thing!) So my little breva gets lots of stars. No a single issue yet. Great bike. It has thus far been totally 100% reliable. Eat your heart out Honda! :whistle:

Back