• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Eldorado Jump Start

Tonyblaze

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
Is there a correct way to jump start an 2018 Eldorado? The terminals are covered with a plastic shield that has to be disassembled if you're out on the road. While out riding my gauge cluster went psychotic throwing all kinds of trouble lights and telling me I was traveling at 253 mph. Stupid me instead of just riding it home I came up with the genius idea to see if I shut the bike off and restarted it the problem would resolve itself. Click, click, click followed. I had the bike towed home. I'm replacing the battery today but wanted to have a road repair option in the future if I'm in a more vulnerable position. Thinking I can just purchase one of the small jump starting kits sold now and keep it charged up in my bags but not too sure on the proper way to do it or if it can be done without blowing up the electronics.

With a new battery , why bother ? There's a voltmeter in one of the dash functions , so you can monitor it
if your conscience is getting the better of you :) . Peter

I usually carry one of the lithium ion booster packs in whatever vehicle I drive. Lead acid (even AGM type) batteries often fail without warning in my hot climate. There are all sorts of warnings and recommendations how to connect for jump starting. For passenger cars and trucks, I usually follow the recommendations to make the negative connection to ground. For motorcycles, I usually connect directly to both battery terminals since it can be difficult to find an engine or chassis ground that will accommodate the negative clamp with the positive hooked to the battery (leads are short on these compact boosters).

yes those small lithium boosters are a lifesaver. had to use it on the norge on a cold morning up in the mountains( i had bought the wrong size battery)

Check your 40A fuse they are known to corrode and fail, resulting in a flat battery, warning lights etc that you describe. I cut the part of the cover off that hides the battery, it's a pain in the arse.

Attachments

• fuse.jpg
    fuse.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 15
  • fuse3.jpg
    fuse3.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 15
  • battery.jpg
    battery.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 15
Has anyone switched over to a Lithium Ion battery? Now I'm being told that some of them don't like the cold at all. In the Midwest U.S. that's not going to work.

Has anyone switched over to a Lithium Ion battery? Now I'm being told that some of them don't like the cold at all. In the Midwest U.S. that's not going to work.
Yep. Bought one from Guzzitech. Works really well on my '14 Cal Tourer, a few pounds lighter in weight than the old lead acid battery and, since Todd has already vetted the batteries before stocking them, it is all good to go with no worries

Thank you all for all of the info. After 56 years of blissful ignorance I am determined to educate myself on how my bike works and how to work on it so please excuse the clueless questions. I have a new battery on the way. How do I check the charging system to make sure it wasn't the original problem? Once I got the old battery charged back up the dash gauge was reading 12.4V. When I started it the reading dropped down to 11.2V. When I shut it off it went back up to 12.4V. I would like to test it however I can to make sure I'm good to go. The wife and I got plans. :)

Dont rely on the dash voltmeter, they read low, put a decent voltmeter directly across the battery terminals. If you have a lead acid battery with ign off it'll read about 12.6v, once started it should rise to around 13.6v or there abouts at 2000rpm.

If it gets between 14 to 14.4V around 4000rpm , you're good to go . If it doesn't move up from your 11 ish volts, remove the alternator cover , lift the 2 brushes from the rotor and put a piece of paper under them yo prevent contact with the rotor , then with your ohmmeter on its lowest setting, measure the resistance between the two copper rotor rings , something around 4 ohms is good
Then measure either ring to ground (the engine case) and it should read infinity . That's a good beginning, and we'll advance the class later :). Peter

At rest the battery read 12.7. Upon starting in read 12.4 and didn't rise even when I got the rpm's up to just over 3000 so that means something in charging system is toast correct? I don't have a reliable way to jack up the bike so I have to get it to a shop...which is three hours away. <sigh> This is when I wish I would have won the debate I had with my wife to get a pick up truck. Plus I'm sure Cadre Cycle is scheduling into September at this point. It was destined to bite me sooner or later.

At rest the battery read 12.7. Upon starting in read 12.4 and didn't rise even when I got the rpm's up to just over 3000 so that means something in charging system is toast correct?
Most likely the battery unless brand new. Have it load tested. Everyone tries to debate me on it. Otherwise, it could be a simple belt adjustment or the regulator linked below.

Just as an FYI, since the bike is close to its service interval I scheduled to take it into Cadre Cycle and have them review the starting issue. According to them these bikes don't work well with Lithium Ion batteries and they don't recommend them. Didn't go into why. I'll ask them when I drop the bike off next week.

Just as an FYI, since the bike is close to its service interval I scheduled to take it into Cadre Cycle and have them review the starting issue. According to them these bikes don't work well with Lithium Ion batteries and they don't recommend them. Didn't go into why. I'll ask them when I drop the bike off next week.

Horse manure.

I run a Lithium battery in every motorcycle I own. Never an issue.

An electron is an electron…

I would think but I'm no expert. Everyone talks about Cadre in high regard so I'm rolling with what they are saying. He said he would do a diagnostic but believes it sounds like a straight battery swap to solve from what I described over the phone.

The local battery supplier I have been buying power sport, automotive, and marine batteries from for years had issues several years ago with low quality lithium batteries (and stopped selling them), but now sell higher quality lithium power sport batteries. The basic issue is high quality lithium batteries are good, but there are a lot of low quality batteries out there that cause problems and negative opinions.

I am sure the lithium batteries available through the GTM Store are high quality and would be great in Moto Guzzi motorcycles.

I think Enzo is a fantastic guy, I just know from personal experience with a ton of personal motorcycles, that lithium batters eliminate a host of problems. The damn things just work awesome. Hence, I utterly disagree with Enzo. Still I respect him highly. (Contrary to modern “thinking”, this is actually possible and used to be the norm among people with differing opinions.)

Good quality Lithium batteries cost money. There is no such thing as a discount price lithium battery, at least not if you want quality,

I think Enzo is a fantastic guy, I just know from personal experience with a ton of personal motorcycles, that lithium batters eliminate a host of problems. The damn things just work awesome. Hence, I utterly disagree with Enzo. Still I respect him highly. (Contrary to modern “thinking”, this is actually possible and used to be the norm among people with differing opinions.)

Good quality Lithium batteries cost money. There is no such thing as a discount price lithium battery, at least not if you want quality,
Ya know, as I posted on my review on the GTM store site a while back, Todd's prices are really competitive with the other quality lithium batteries I saw online, and he only sells quality, tested, tried and true parts on his site. You spend more money on the lithium batteries but a quality one totally rocks, in my opinion. Prior to making the switch, I read a bunch of horror stories about lithium batteries that caused all kinds of problems like blown out alternators and regulators. I can only guess that these were inferior, badly made batteries. I am totally appy with the one I got from GTM months ago and it kicks a** over the lead acid one I replaced.
But the verbiage on the store site was the final persuader to convince me it was worth the extra money.
May I quote:
"BS Battery facilities comply with the highest international LiFePO4 range standards, and are ISO and TÜV certified. They're being used as a OEM & OES supplier by major vehicle manufacturers worldwide. Racing activities in all fields have always been a heart part of BS Battery DNA. Strongly present in MotoGP, through the official sponsorship of Fabio Quartararo, 2021 World Champion, in World Supersport with GMT94 Yamaha Team, and in Off Road with a strong cooperation with Sherco Team."
You aren't gonna beat those creds.

Back