• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

engine rebuilding

AndrewGelling

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Famiglia
Hello everyone. I stripped down my bike and sent all the engine and transmission cases to be vapor blasted. Just got them back and they look fabulous. I have cleaned all of the internal bits thoroughly with mineral spirits and compressed air and going to start re-assembling. This will be my first engine and transmission rebuild and would appreciate any general tips, etc. I have new gaskets and seals. I intend too smear a little grease on the gaskets as I reassemble. Is that a reasonable plan? Also what lubricants should I be using as I re-assemble? I don't want to fry anything before the engine oil gets to where it needs to go. Thanks.

Assembly lube can be purchased. Or you can use the old school assembly lube of motor oil mixed with STP. I has to be sticky enough to stay there until you start the engine. Also are you measuring all your clearances? An easy war for the con rod big ends is to use plastic gauge. Greasing the gaskets may be nice, but I usually don't. Just the engine sump and valve cover gaskets is all I would grease. I even use a very thin coat of sealant on the gearbox gasket. While all is apart, make sure you install metal cage bearings for the input and output shafts of the gearbox. BTW, if you are doing the 850, the parts manual only calls for 10 o-rings for the cylinder studs, but you really need 12.

Thanks John. Its actually for my VIII Monza, but it can be pretty quiet on the small block posts, and since my question is kind of generic, I thought I'd post it here. Hope that is ok. I have not checked my clearances. I began figuring out how to do it, but with so much on my plate, I decided to let it slide. Bad decision? There are relatively few miles on the bike and it seems rather un-abused, which of course is not a technical term. What are my options if the clearances are off? It doesn't appear that I can get those particular plain bearings in anything but the original size. Am I wrong to think that?
As for the assembly lube, am I just going to apply it liberally to everything, just the journals and plain bearings? Pistons? I recall something about the pistons being treated differently. Then of course, I didn't do anything when I swapped the cylinders on the 850T for nikasil and its running fine, though I really think that bike might actually be indestructible.

If it is apart, check the clearances. If the big end on the connecting rods has too great a clearance, try new inserts. If still too great, find a machine shop that can build up the crank, then turn to original size. The critical grind on the crank is the profile between the journal and throw to prevent future breakage. New rings may seat quicker of you don't lube the bores, but regular non synthetic oil is usually the standard on assembly for pistons.

Back