• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

ethanol damages engine?

max

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Famiglia
I read an article a short while back that ethanol in some of the gas we use can damage the motor, injectors , plastic and fiber glass fuel tanks and several other things relating to the motor. Yesterday, I got myself caught in a bind and had to use fuel from a pump that stated the fuel could contain up to 10% ethanol. Although the sticker was next to the lowest octane button, I assume it was relating to all 3 octane choices. I have also come across an ad for an additive to put in the tank that removes all these risks.
So my question is-- is this true and should I avoid using the 10% ethanol fuel ? Should I drain the remaining fuel from the tank ? If I use one of the additives available to combat these problems, will my V7C engine be ok? I did read one short article that seemed to be pointed more at the true classics themselves, such as older BSA and Triumphs . Sure would appreciate any input on this subject. As always, thanks for any help you can come up with. Max

Max, I use 10% everyday. It's the only thing I can get where I live. Use the highest octane you can and you'll be just fine, per my dealer. It will ping a little bit on hotter days, but that's the extent of it. Long term effects are still undetermined, I would assume, but there's nothing you can do about it unless you can get good gas. If you can, consider yourself lucky. Lets hope they don't bump it up to 15%.

I've use the star tron additive and didn't notice much difference in the pinging, if at all, but at least it combats some of the problems with ethanol sitting in the tank.

Like Max I can't get anything but 10% ethanol either. I'm in Massachusetts. I've heard reports of alcohol's bad effects on engines, mainly making the engines run hot and lean and potentially damaging some of the alloys or plastic components. The source of that information was EPA study on gasahol and small engines (lawnmowers, etc). The study couldn't determine if the new fuel shortened engine life, but the engine life is already so short on those kind of engines that this study was not dispositive on this issue.

Modern engines are supposed to be alcohol safe, both in performance and in construction. Still, regular gas is best. The only way I can get alcohol-free fuel are the drums of racing fuel sold in bike shops. My wallet won't allow for that.

I'm open to other ideas.

Joe

WHEW!! :D Thanks fella's . That is really good news. So far the "GOOD" gas is still available locally. For how long , who knows. I didn't realize the EPA was using lawn mower engines for their research. Guess that shouldn't be a real shock anyway. :roll: Thanks again for all your inputs. Max

In 1995, the EPA mandated minimum standards for gasoline additives, including detergent and protective compounds. Many brands immediately lowered their additive levels to the minimum. Others, of course raised theirs to the minimum.

In 2004, BMW, Honda, GM, Toyota, and (later) VW/Audi, published voluntary standards which required a higher level of certain detergents and protective compounds in gas they would recommend for their cars. Gas companies that met these volunteer standards were designated Top Tier Gas suppliers. According to the Top Tier web site http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html, the companies that have agreed to meet the Top Tier standards in the US and Canada are:
Aloha Petroleum
Chevron
Chevron Canada
Conoco
CountryMark
Entec Stations
Esso
Exxon
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
MFA Oil Co.
Mileage Stations
Mobil
Petro-Canada
Phillips 66
QuikTrip
Rebel Oil
Road Ranger
Severson Oil
Shell
Shell Canada
Sunoco Canada
Texaco
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Tri-Par Oil Co.
Turkey Hill Minit Markets
U.S. Oil

Please note that these standards were established by car makers, not the gasoline industry, and their purposed was to get better service from their cars for their customers.

Wherever possible, I patronize only the dealers on the above list.

Back