• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Excessive corrosion on battery terminals? B1100

Suncoast

Tuned and Synch'ed
I went out to start my Breva 1100 today and all I had was "click" when I went to start it, I could hear the relay click once then the dash and everything went dark, no power!! I've had it on a bettery tender all winter and started it up usually once ever week or 2. I had the battery out once this winter when I I installed the tender leads. At that time I noticed a lot of corrosion on the terminals. I cleaned it all off and re-installed everything and didn't think anything more of it. After the no start today I checked the fusses then the battery leads. The + and - terminals were again quite corroded. I cleaned them up and she fired right up. I seem to remember reading somewhere that excessive corrosion at the battery terminals can be caused by a faulty ground somewhere, I might be wrong but does anyone have any idea as to where I may have a bad ground? Or any other idea as to what the cause of the excessive corrosion might be? I want to fix the issue so that I'm not left stranded some day. B)

Cleaning the contact of the main earth strap is always a smart idea. It lives under the starter motor cover on the hexagonal 'thingy' the cover screw goes into. But both ends and on the positive terminal after you've cleaned 'em apply a liberal smear of vaseline or contact protectant as you re-mount the cables.

Pete

By the spelling of your handle, I assume you live close to the ocean?

There is no clear answer for this. I've had trees growing off both terminals. For some reason, some batteries are worse than others. Just keep cleaning and like Pete recommends, coating with vaseline or dielectric grease.

What Pete said.

The starter cover has two allen head screws holding it on. The ground is the top one. I cleaned the ground strap and mounting point up and sprayed some ACF-50 on it this Spring.

pete roper said:
Cleaning the contact of the main earth strap is always a smart idea. It lives under the starter motor cover on the hexagonal 'thingy' the cover screw goes into. But both ends and on the positive terminal after you've cleaned 'em apply a liberal smear of vaseline or contact protectant as you re-mount the cables.

Pete

Thanks Pete, I did that today. Hopefully it does the trick. :)

I have experienced a similar problem to Suncoast. Unfortunately after I have cleaned up the Battery contacts and the earth strap, applied Vaseline I still get nada. Twice there was a message - APSN 0002 on the dash, this disappeared and then the dash came to life but still no start.
Any suggestions?

Steve

Averb said:
I have experienced a similar problem to Suncoast. Unfortunately after I have cleaned up the Battery contacts and the earth strap, applied Vaseline I still get nada. Twice there was a message - APSN 0002 on the dash, this disappeared and then the dash came to life but still no start.
Any suggestions?

Steve

Start with basics first, is the battery good and well charged? Make sure the voltage is adequate batteries can suddenly have issues like one or more cells failing. Its also possible you have an issue with connections in your wiring harness maybe a plug connector is corroded not making good contact. I would then look at the starter relay and finally starter itself. Not sure on the code it's giving but those in the know may have your answer.

You'll probably be fine after following Pete's advice.

BUT IF NOT, a number of people have found that the power feed circuit to the starter relay has too much voltage drop due to a number of questionable connectors.

I had an intermittent no start (relay wouldn't close to power the solenoid) on my B11 which seems to have gone away after installing a new dedicated power feed to the starter relay.

Of course, such a drop doesn't make the whole dash go dark, so I mention it only as an asside should problems surface only with the starter circuit later.

I am now thinking that the battery is cactus or that there are other poor contacts in the system as I have cleaned the battery and earth strap contacts and still get the same response.
Back down to the shed tonight

Steve

Back