Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Exhaust Gaskets

Discussion in 'Griso-Bella Chat & Tech' started by StokedOnSpokes, Feb 24, 2015.

1. StokedOnSpokes

StokedOnSpokes Tuned and Synch'ed

Getting ready to send my exhaust to get them ceramic coated. When I pulled off the headers, I did not see any gasket between them and the head. According to the parts diagram, there should be a gasket there. Anyone else seem to be missing these or are they optional?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  2. StokedOnSpokes

My crossover gaskets could not be removed without them shattering. Best price I can find on replacements so far is $19.83.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  3. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

The gaskets are probably there. If they are like other Guzzis, they blend in with the head port quite nicely.

4. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

When you remove the header pipe from the head the exhaust gasket usually sticks in the exhaust port. I have never seen one come out with the header pipe. I have seen one fall out as I removed the header pipe, but it had not been there long. Over time they get stuck to the port. It can be hard to see the gasket in the port as they crush and get mushed in to the port. If the exhaust pipe was not leaking at the port there is almost certainly a gasket there.

5. Stevie

Stevie Cruisin' Guzzisti

Should you replace those gaskets whenever you remove the headers?

6. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

They are cheap enough that it would make sense to replace them whenever you have the headers off (how often is that?), but the reality for me is I tend to only replace them when I have an exhaust leak. I am not saying that is the smart choice, just that is what I tend to do. I have rarely had my headers off my Griso, but I had to remove the headers on my Daytona more then a few times and reused the same exhaust gaskets over and over. They are still working. But again, that is likely not the smart answer. As cheap as they are it would make sense to replace them if you have the headers off.

7. Ad B

Ad B Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I remove my headers every winter for some polishing activities.
    And it's what GuzziMoto writes.
    The gaskest are cheap, so I dont think, should I replace them...? I replace them.
    You can leave the gaskets in the crossover, in most cases, they stay okay.

Ad B

8. StokedOnSpokes

Well I buttoned up the exhaust and saw the gaskets in the ports. I have new ones but I couldn't get the old ones out. Didn't want to score anything trying to pry them out so I just slammed the headers back in. I don't think they are leaking but it's not like I'm holding a candle to the engine either to test. I did replace the crossover gaskets as I destroyed them when I took pipes apart. Don't think that will be a problem next time as I'll be extra careful.