• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

exhaust pipe blueing

BSAndy

Tuned and Synch'ed
i consider my stock stone exhaust to be an Italian masterpiece (sight and sound)and when people check out my bike
they are generally impressed overall but often the comment is about the amount of pipe blueing coming off the jugs. i doesnt bother me i think its from a lean burning engine and the left jug pings a little more(after warmup) and has a little more blue than the right side. i wish i could paint colors like that. but my buddy (who has flames painted on his gasoline peanut tank ???) insists its bad news and i need to address it. Any Thoughts on this subject. thanks
btw all intake clamps are tight and valves adjusted properly and only good hi test fuel

Mines the same and so are all the others I've seen. If the front end of the silencer blues then that could be a problem but not the pipe near the cylinder head. Steve.

i doesnt bother me i think its from a lean burning engine and the left jug pings a little more(after warmup) and has a little more blue than the right side.
Andy, there's a ton of info on this site alone regarding fuel mapping for your V7. Fueling is regulated for emissions reasons; The fact that any air-cooled engine manufacturer can deliver a bike that meets the standards, and run somewhat decent, is near miraculous. Bluing is certainly a sign of lean running, but arguably you can run it easily through the warranty period without issues. However, if you plan on keeping it long term, I would address it immediately. Pinging is very detrimental to your motor.
I've been hard at work since ~'01 to solve problems with F.I. Guzzi, and have a solution... that or you can let the many others tell you how you can ignore it or solve it via some other simple/cheap means. Once you ride a properly fueled bike, you'll never grasp how you can ride one without. Up to you.

I had this on my V7 Classic and managed to clean it off with BLUEMAGIC paste. I have since had the latest Guzzi map installed by Corsa Italiana and the throttles balanced and slow running by-passes adjusted here in U.K by Baldrick. Since then the bike has run really well with no noticeable bluing so far. I also bought a device from Finebau Forge that is connected into the feed to the ECU that comes from the airbox temperature sensor, but after much fruitless adjustment I have disconnected it completely as the bike seems happier without it. We do not have the benefit of Todd and his wizardry here and I am not confident in my own ability to do any ECU alterations!

Over the years, I have run into that bluing condition and believe it to be the result of either a too rich or too lean condition.[I forget which!! DUH!!!] So what I did,and I'm NOT saying it will work in your case,but might be worth a shot,is add fuel injection cleaner or Sea Foam to the gas to clean the internal components of the injectors or carbs,as well as any carbon build up in the combustion chamber. That slowed the bluing process and in some cases,stopped it altogether.

However,cleaning the bluing off the pipe is yet, another story.Once ya notice it,ya have to address it ASAP otherwise it will just continue to get worse and then I'm not sure if you can ever get it off,ending up replacing the header pipe. But [as mentioned] there are products on the market that may,or may not work,but it's atleast,worth a try as it's cheaper then buying new pipes.Good luck!!!

Over the years, I have run into that bluing condition and believe it to be the result of either a too rich or too lean condition.[I forget which!! DUH!!!] So what I did,and I'm NOT saying it will work in your case,but might be worth a shot,is add fuel injection cleaner or Sea Foam to the gas to clean the internal components of the injectors or carbs,as well as any carbon build up in the combustion chamber
This happens on brand new Guzzis Dave. The V7 uses single wall tubing, which all of the bigger motors use double wall to help hide the coloring. The lean burn of these motors causes this. Just simple, scientifically documented, fact.

Back