• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Exhaust sound opinion

scottmastrocinque

GT Godfather!
GT di Razza Pura
Well, while working in my home workshop today, putting stuff away, I hooked up one of my iMac computers from my old workshop business along with my big Boom Box Speakers. I like these speakers because they really sound great and make listening to videos, a pleasure.

I started looking at V100 exhausts as I wanted to hear what was out there.

I have been a big fan of Mistral for many years and have them on a few of my bikes but in the limited time I got to ride my V100 before the winter freeze, I really liked the stock sound a great deal. Didn't like Agostini, Zard, SC, Leo Vince, none of them. They all sucked in my opinion.

Well, I watched all sorts of videos to hear the sounds and I tell you, I really still like the stock exhaust by far.

I'm curious as to what others have thought.

I think this video gives the best experience of the stock exhaust.

Well, while working in my home workshop today, putting stuff away, I hooked up one of my iMac computers from my old workshop business along with my big Boom Box Speakers. I like these speakers because they really sound great and make listening to videos, a pleasure.

I started looking at V100 exhausts as I wanted to hear what was out there.

I have been a big fan of Mistral for many years and have them on a few of my bikes but in the limited time I got to ride my V100 before the winter freeze, I really liked the stock sound a great deal. Didn't like Agostini, Zard, SC, Leo Vince, none of them. They all sucked in my opinion.

Well, I watched all sorts of videos to hear the sounds and I tell you, I really still like the stock exhaust by far.

I'm curious as to what others have thought.

I think this video gives the best experience of the stock exhaust.

Hi Scott, FWIW I had Mistral exhausts on my Eldorado 1400 and I liked the sound a lot. That said, and I only have 800kms (500miles) on my V100 and am still running it in, I do enjoy the stock sound and have no real interest in putting other exhausts on.

I’ve been happy with the “sound” of the stock muffler. I wouldn’t mind getting rid of the cat box at some point … I reckon doing that PLUS a better breathing can might get us near 120 hp😂… but, I don’t feel a “need” to😁. I think the stock can, even looks nice - for a stock can!

Hi Scott, FWIW I had Mistral exhausts on my Eldorado 1400 and I liked the sound a lot. That said, and I only have 800kms (500miles) on my V100 and am still running it in, I do enjoy the stock sound and have no real interest in putting other exhausts on.

I’m waiting for my PowerCommander, Autotune 300, and H Pipe from Todd, so I can install my Mistral cans on my Eldorado 1400. 😆👌👍

I agree, the stock pipe sounds really well.
I have also listened for Ago, Mistral, and whatever others that have found their way out on the internet as videos.
But judging only by Utube videos mostly poor sound quality, non of those are convincing enough.
Actually, my first view of the V100 was two days before Christmas just over a year ago.
It was the first demo bike that found its way to Sweden.
The sales guy started the bike inside the shop(!), and my immediate thoughts was:
”wow, this not only sounds much more than modern bikes, it has a sweet deep sound too”
”how did Moto Guzzi manage to get this exhaust approved?”
”there will not be much interest for aftermarket exhausts”

Well, MG did a very fine job of getting those lovely exhaust notes out.
They are presenting themselves when you want them (idling, accelerating, and engine braking, and perhaps really slow city driving).
However at steady pace on the country road it stays rather quiet, which makes it also good for long distance traveling.
Well done Moto Guzzi!

Even if exhausts with slightly higher sound may be a tad more exciting I have no urge to buy one.
And the stock can looks rather decent considering, and more naturally integrated than any aftermarket I’ve seen so far.

Exhaust sound is something very subjective. My opinion is that every new bike with Euro5 regulations lacks deep enjoyable exhaust sound. At idle the V100 stock sound is nice but once you ride on canyons over 60km/h - 40miles/h you hardly hear the deep grunt you expect from a big twin. There is not comparison with the twins from the 2010 and back.
I am used to my other twins sound combination of exhaust and air intake deep bass sound like Ducati Desmodue Sportclassic 1000 from 2008 or BMW R90/6 from 1975 or even Ducati Multistrada 1200S from 2017. Even the BMW R1200GS LC from 2018 sound much deeper.
I miss not specially louder sound, maybe just a little bit more, but mainly deeper.
It is hard to decide out of listening youtube videos but after listening Mistral, Agostini, Zard, SC and LeoVince I already ordered the LeoVince one also for aesthetic reasons because I did not like none of the other mufflers over the stylish OEM one whereas the Leo is the more compact one not blocking the nice rear wheel.
Once I will receive it I will upload a video.

It is very interesting to read other’s opinions.

Unfortunately here in Ohio, I feel that I most likely will not encounter many V100’s, let alone with different exhausts.

As I just bought the 2 year warranty extension for a total of 4 years coverage from Moto Guzzi, and the factory has made it quite clear that they will absolutely invalidate your warranty if you change anything in the ECU, mine will remain stock for some time.

Besides, I am totally unimpressed with UpMap or any other fueling options at this time.

I’m really feeling frustrated with the hype and bullshit so many claim. I’m about rideability, not chasing a couple of horsepower at the top of the rev limiter.

It is my understanding that Moto Guzzi will tolerate a swapped canister but messing with the catalytic converter or ECU is a no go!

Last edited:
Believe me they don't consider warranty if it has a can. You have to take it off.
save that video for the next guy who insists on riding a Guzzi at 2500-3000 rpm.

Did you experience an issue?

Honestly, I don’t foresee making any changes to my V100 S. I’m pleased with the way it runs and sounds from the factory.

I do admit that I miss the simplicity of carburetors and the relative ease at increasing jet sizes.

Fuel injection is so damn twitchy these days and the manufacturers look for any reason to deny a warranty claim. Granted, if I were them, I wouldn’t want to bear responsibility for any ham-fisted modifications to the motorcycle by the owner either.

Last edited:
At idle the V100 stock sound is nice but once you ride on canyons over 60km/h - 40miles/h you hardly hear the deep grunt you expect from a big twin.
I hear you, and even if I contradict myself by agreeing on the joy of rumbling on canyons, it is also nice with a more discreet sound at steady pace for long distance traveling.
For me I provoke the sound when I’m in mood by acceleration or engine braking 🙂
But as it is, with a brand new bike platform, the V100 sound not only satisfies much more than most other modern bikes today, it even gives enough so aftermarket exhausts won’t be necessary.
At the same time it’s not offensive either (unless you provoke the surrounding with offensive driving as well).
And that is truly amazing with today’s standard.

It is very interesting to read other’s opinions.

Unfortunately here in Ohio, I feel that I most likely will not encounter many V100’s, let alone with different exhausts.

As I just bought the 2 year warranty extension for a total of 4 years coverage from Moto Guzzi, and the factory has made it quite clear that they will absolutely invalidate your warranty if you change anything in the ECU, mine will remain stock for some time.

Besides, I am totally unimpressed with UpMap or any other fueling options at this time.

I’m really feeling frustrated with the hype and bullshit so many claim. I’m about rideability, not chasing a couple of horsepower at the top of the rev limiter.

It is my understanding that Moto Guzzi will tolerate a swapped canister but messing with the catalytic converter or ECU is a no go!
No UpMap fueling map yet for the US V100 , so how can you be unimpressed?

No UpMap fueling map yet for the US V100 , so how can you be unimpressed?

Did you not follow the fiasco they did with Todd (GTM)?

They wanted to sell his designed maps, but not pay him for his work.

Also, they have the worst labeling of things on their site and numerous people got screwed over on their “free or included” map, where they then required people to buy a whole new map even though the first map was totally incompatible.

Hence, I’m unimpressed with their business practices.

I don’t like shifty underhanded crap like that. They will never see a penny of my money or anybody who consults me about them.

Not to Scott...
Note to self, do not make any exhaust offerings for the V100.
The bulk of the pre-muffler/cat-con is that colostomy box below the trans, causing all of the bolt/stud failures. I'd love to hear one with the "exhaust tip" removed.
Also…

But as it is, with a brand new bike platform, the V100 sound not only satisfies much more than most other modern bikes today, it even gives enough so aftermarket exhausts won’t be necessary.
At the same time it’s not offensive either (unless you provoke the surrounding with offensive driving as well).
And that is truly amazing with today’s standard.

I understand this on a primal level.

My 2012 Harley Davidson Street Glide had the most perfect factory exhaust ever. It was physically beautiful, and acoustically perfect.

If you were a gentleman, the silencer worked exceptionally well and my neighbors never once mentioned it. However if you raised the piston velocity, that exhaust positively sang a beautiful song that matched that dresser/bagger motorcycle styling, perfectly. She growled and purred. No aftermarket exhaust was needed at all.

I think the V100 is leaving me the same impression.

Last edited:
The sound from my Mandello is just ok to me. Not bad not great, one of the better stock exhausts though. My '22 Bonneville had the best sounding exhaust ever for a stock bike. Three of the Harleys I owned had great sounding exhausts after I modified all three. The stock exhaust on the Sportster was too numb. I applied the Gronk modification which can be found on the XL Forum. The I got a used Softail Deuce which had a stage one. The exhaust was to damn loud and drove me nuts, so I redesigned the baffle to quiet it down some but still kept a bit of the rumble. The bike was destroyed in a garage fire, I replaced it with a new Slim. It sounded like a sewing machine so I modified the exhaust but a bit like the Gronk method. Sounded good with a little rumble but not loud. I won't be messing with the Mandello though. Speaking of exhaust cans, why does the Mandello like some other MGs have different sized outlets on the can? Is it a tuning thing or just looks?
kk

I believe it, what I have thought. Kind of rubs my mechanical mind wrong. :envy: But I will live with it unless I come across a more conventional can cheap as in cheap bastard as inherited from my mother, a survivor of the depression, except when it comes to motorcycles. :D
kk

You guys are all funny. A good sound still turns my head and makes me smile. No stock bike does it for me. My GTM muffler and open air box lid on my Stelvio is bliss for me. All other aftermarket mufflers whistle and wheeze in comparison to my well tuned ears.
As to cheap, there's plenty of Chinese junk available. It will for sure put all those out of business who care soon enough. I’m definitely on my way out the door with my offerings. Not many even remotely care about quality/durability and any documentation or proof of what they claim to offer. Low cost wins every time, even if you have to do it 2-3 times or more like I did 20 years ago.
If you want quiet, ride electric. I deposited on one long ago, but they never came to fruition. EVs are on the horizon, so in the near future, you may not have a choice.

Back