• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Expect trouble

chipper

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi all, I pick up my new stelvio on friday and am looking forward to it but I seem to hear expect trouble great bike. Surely they can`t be any worse than bmws or is it an old myth which takes time to clear itself.Cheers Chipper

Chipper;

Has the recall been done to your bike ?

Cam and tappets, if yours is subject to it DONT pick it up until it's done !

Jasus Crust, I caused a few heart attacks for saying less than that.

Going for my 1300 mile service next week.

Magic bike,except for the tank range.

C'mon Guzzi make a 30 litre tank.

I am buying the bike new on an 09 plate but it is an 08 model. I will check if the recall on the cams has been done which I think it has. I am not the most mechanically minded person as I have too much stone dust on the brain. Apart from the recall no major issues. Chipper

Jasus Crust, I caused a few heart attacks for saying less than that.

Going for my 1300 mile service next week.

Magic bike,except for the tank range.

C'mon Guzzi make a 30 litre tank.

Gary, I don't mind being pilloried for my post, the official recall is out there for all to digest. If it was my bike you can be damned sure I would be following my own advise. I believe that was only one Heart Attack if memory serves me right. :laugh:

Welcome Chipper - and congrats on your new bike - please post pics of you collecting it from your dealer, they are the best pics of all.

I would not worry about the reliability - if it is in the VIN number range, get the valve recall attended to and that will be it. Certainly there might be some minor niggles that need a few months to make themselves known and be sorted out but but that is the case with any brand of vehicle, and certainly not a reason to regret buying it. To date I have not seen any major reliability issues that would make me regret a Stelvio purchase.

Post often - there's lotsa help here!

Two months and 2000 miles on mine.

I had a turn signal bulb fail the other day. :angry:
Piece of junk. :cheer:

My replacement tappets are here. I may replace them in a week or two.

If you aren't mechanically sympathetic I would advise against using the machine until the recall 'Technical update' work has been carried out. As long as you feel you have the nouse to know when something changes with the noise or performance of the engine and if it does you stop riding immediately you should be OK but continuing to ride once the problem has started will result in damage that can and will destroy your engine.

Scroll through this thread:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.p ... =14516&hl=

And you will see and read what CAN happen if the problem is ignored. There was/is certainly a hardening issue with SOME tappets, almost certainly the result of 'Lowest Bidder' pricing on parts supply but many machines, mine included, have done substantial mileages with no problems and mine isn't used gently.

There are certainly a couple of other design issues that I think should be addressed and at least one of them, the lack of radiusing on the tappets, has it seems been addressed with the updated parts.

The real problem though is if, like the machine whose parts are shown in those pics, extensive damage is allowed to take place the frag will be fed not only through the oil pumps damaging them but also throughout the top end of the motor and in all likelyhood the bottom end too. While Belfast DAve's bike has had the recall work done the 'Mechanic' who carried out the work seemingly ignored the fact that the cam bearing journals are destroyed. That means that the bearings in the 'Scaffold' that the cam turns in will be packed with hardened particulate matter that has, in effect, turned the bearing into a 4,000RPM rotary grinder. Putting new cams in there is about as much use as trying make a hot air baloon out of woven lead. Every other bearing and load taking face in the motor will be similarly damaged. Unfortunately, the engine is scrap. Piaggios suggestion that a simple flush with oil, (without even taking the sump off!) is ludicrous.

As noted in another post I pulled the cam on one side of my motor the other day as I was beginning to get paranoid. It was fine, but I'm still waiting on the new parts and will be being cautious until they arrive. Caution though is the watchword, not, unlike many of the ignorant and uninformed would have you believe, panic.

Pete

pete roper wrote:
Piaggios suggestion that a simple flush with oil, (without even taking the sump off!) is ludicrous.

My take on the "flush with oil" instructions are that those instructions are for the general population with a bike that is getting the new tappets/cams, was running fine, and has NOT failed. The oil flush is just a precaution.

Of course if the bike has had a failure or obvious tappet wear, a simple flush isn't going to cut it.

Back