• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Extra transmission clonk

Brian UK

GT Reference
Not my Norge, but a fellow club member's here in UK.
It's an 06 model, but had a replacement CARC fitted last August due to the tab washer on the input shaft being mis-fitted.
Riding a couple of weeks ago, a sudden extra loud clonk was heard when pulling away. Owner also thought there was a slight shudder too. She was also concerned about the back lash at the rear wheel (2 inches), but has been assured that this is normal.
CARC has been removed, and also the swing arm and drive shaft, but no fault found. There is some movement (as in twisting) in the output shaft, but this is also normal as far as I can tell. Bike together again now, and seems quieter, but still insure.

Any suggestions on what might be the cause of the louder than usual transmission clonk?

Was the engine still cold(ish)?
Possibly 1st gear not engaged completely before releasing the clutch? Mine will do that sometimes, so I've learned to 'tease out' the clutch as long as the box hasn't warmed up, to check if I am in gear, rather than letting go at once.

And yes, there can be a noticeable shudder when the gears settle in place. I presume this may be related to whatever it is that sometimes makes the transition through neutral hard when the box is cold.

Well the response is -
No, the clonk was from pulling off in first, with warm or cold engine, it was a noticeable jerk or judder on setting off and also when doing some slow control.
So maybe its not the same problem as you get René.

Brian,

Check my post here; https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/188/4803.html?p=35120#p35120

It sounds similar. I had the gearbox main shaft replaced under warranty.

Gearbox%252520shaft.jpg

It's been suggested to me that the bike may have been dropped at some stage, but I bought it new, havn't dropped it and there wasn't a mark on it when I picked it up.

Well the age of the gearbox will be the same, and again the bike has been owned by one person from new, and never been dropped.
Soyou had it replaced under warranty some 4 years after you bought the bike? Some hope for this owner then maybe.
Though she didn't "buy" it, it was a raffle prize at that GMG in Mandello.
Maybe we now know why they were giving it away, she had the CARC replaced last autumn.

Were there any other noises from the gearbox?
Baldrick, the mechanic she would entrust the gearbox work to, from Corsa Italiana, has only seen this once before and that gearbox was screaming as well, so he doesn't think it can be the same thing.
Of course there is only one way to find out.

Brian,

No there weren't any other noises. The clunk and ratchetting feel were only noticable starting off. The tech told me that the gearbox would have continued to otherwise operate normally. I rode it for several thousand kilometres from the first time that my wife heard the noise. It slowly worsened. As it was explained to me - or at least how I understood it - as the two meshed gears come under load, the circlip holds them true and prevents them sliding. The noise and unclean take-off is caused by the gears sliding.

It turns out that it was the same fault on the mainshaft. The circlip was no longer located in it's place. There were some chips out of the bearing inners too, possibly caused by errant bits of mainshaft.

Back