Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Falcone - Horrible noise

Discussion in 'MonoCylindrico' started by GT-Rx®, May 20, 2020.

1. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Having become acquainted with my Falcone on short trips and having been confined two months, yesterday was at last time to go out and ride.
    A 120 km round trip was planned with my wife on her Laverda 500. Out to Notre Dame de Lorette, the largest French military cemetery outside Verdun and back home via the Canadian memorial at Vimy.
    The ride out was lovely. At long last I could let the Falcone off its lease cruising very ably at 100 km/h in the sunshine.
    We stopped off at Lorette where we took the photo and then headed towards Vimy, 10 km away. I got a bit lost and pulling into a lay by by the side of the road, there was a horrible screech. The bile was ticking over fine, just a rumble from the engine block and the occasional screech.
    End of ride.
    I took the Laverda, rode home and came back with car and trailer.

The rumbling sound is there when I turn the engine over on the kickstarter, in neutral or in gear. Clutch appears to work ok.Noise seems to be transmission related since no tell tale knock indicating a big end gone or a rumble from a main bearing though that would need checking.
    I intend to pull the side covers off, to have a look at the clutch and gearbox bearings and main bearings before, if I find nothing, taking the engine out and opening it

I hate these "I have a noise, what could it be" questions, but are there any known things which could be responsible for the noise? Clutch basket nut? or bearings?

Paul Marx in France

17-5.jpg

2. GT-Rx®

Screeching noises usually come from dry running bearings,. Check dynamo/magneto.
    Dirk Van Ussel

I've got the feeling it's a bearing. I hadn't thought about that magneto but surely, no ignition if a magneto bearing packs up?
    To check, I imagine I'd need to turn the mag over by hand?

Plus the fact that a certain roughness can be felt when turning the engine over on the kick start.

I'm just hoping that it's nothing to do with me having washed out the clutch with diesel fuel this winter and washed the oil out of the mainshaft bearing.

Paul

3. GT-Rx®

My first inclination is towards the clutch. I have seen clutch pressure plates unscrew and scrape the cover. Also seen them go the other way and get so tight you can't release the clutch. When you take off the covers look for scrape marks on them. Generators also howl when their bearings fail and the armature starts rubbing the field coil. Bearings are generally not a problem in Guzzis. I've never seen one lock up to the point where you could spin one in the crankcase.

JerryK

4. GT-Rx®

Magneto bearings are pretty reliable. Also they are greased and semi-sealed. And I don't think you'd feel any rumbling or roughness from them at idle or on the kickstarter because they are tiny. I don't think, also, that you could have damaged the main bearing with a clutch rinse. There is plenty of oil in the crankcase to refresh it and rolling element bearings need only tiny amounts of oil. And diesel is oily as well. Of course anything can break in our ancient bikes but the clutch interference suggestion is definitely worth checking out.

In my experience failed roller - or ball - bearings are impossible to detect at kickover speed. They would have to be completely wrecked with rollers falling out. I believe and hope you will trace the rumble to something simpler !!

Andrew N

5. GT-Rx®

It'll be off with the clutch cover first anyhow. I've ordered the tool for the flywheel nut from Vajenti though a subsequent internet search sourced sockets locally. I've got a few things still in the pan at the moment, notably a 3 cylinder Laverda bottom end to open, so the Guzzi will wait a couple of weeks.

Paul

6. GT-Rx®

Will get into the clutch as soon as I have the appropriate tool for the flywheel nut. Are the flywheel nuts left or right hand thread?
    Paul

The nut will undo the same direction as the flywheel turns when the engine is running.
    Regards
    Patrick H