• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

FatDuc installed

Paxo

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Decided to take the plunge and buy one. Final cost delivered to the UK by USPS £81.54 with taxes and charges. Easy to fit if you're not too fussy about getting it out of sight, but I am. See photo. Also needs some protection from getting too wet so I knocked up a cover from scrap plastic and zip ties. See other photo! Can't really tell if its' made that much difference as I'm still using the standard exhaust system, but there is less pinging and tinkling when the bike is parked up so maybe it's running a bit cooler.

Attachments

• fatduc.jpg
    fatduc.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 794
  • Fat Duc cover.jpg
    Fat Duc cover.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 796
Paxo, if you do a search on this forum, you will see where the FatDuc does not deliver as promised. I personally have watched this device deliver off-the-scale rich conditions when going from closed to open back to closed loop... just simply read it doesn't work and may cause serious engine issues in time.
I have a few 02-optimizers that do work properly for anyone interested, however the best solution is to revise the ECU mapping first. Happy to be of help of course, contact me direct; Todd at GuzziTech.com

I don't see why it would cause any problems as it's basically enriching the fuel mix. In the old carb days I would have bunged in a set of bigger jets and perhaps lifted or shimmed the needles. So what's the difference?

Joe, same as you I did notice the engine ran better from cold, so that's an improvement for a start.

The FatDuc tries to manipulate the O2 sensor signal. The signal from a typical narrow band O2 sensor is not an easy 0 - 5 volt signal or a resistance signal but a voltage signal that bounces from close to zero volts up to near 1 volt then back down to near zero volts. It does this very rapidly over and over again. The ECU does not actually measure the signal but counts the swings. That makes it very hard to "adjust" the signal accurately.
If it over adjusts the signal it will throw a flag in the ECU because the value it is getting from the sensor is not valid.
Not saying it can't work, just that it has limited ability to adjust and lacks accuracy in its adjustment.
The are other devices that modify other signals like the temp signal. They may hold more promise but again are limited in their ability to adjust and may throw a flag if over used.
My biggest issue is that these devices can only adjust the overall mixture one way or the other. But the actual requirements of the bikes fuel map are typically that it needs more fuel in some areas and less in others. It likely needs more fuel in part throttle mid rpms and less fuel at full throttle high rpms.
If it is all you can afford then I guess it is all you can afford. But I would highly recommend you at least look into Todd's ECU reflash if not the full fuel package.
My griso is a much happier camper with his fuel package on it, complete with wide band sensor AutoTune.

GuzziMoto said:
But I would highly recommend you at least look into Todd's ECU reflash if not the full fuel package.

I agree. I have two of Todd's full packages with ECU reflash, PC-V plus AutoTune and wide band Lambda sensor, and one bike with just the reflash. All are on 1200 Sports. The ECU reflash is the biggest step, the rest just a smaller refinement.

Caveat: the one with the ECU reflash only is on a completely stock bike.

I have heard, and this may be completely false, that US fuel produces less bang for your buck than the fuel available in Europe. If this is so, could this account for the differences in opinions regarding the effectiveness of O2 manipulators? Also, what if there is a difference in the ECU mapping for European machines? Just a couple of ideas that have occurred to me and could obviously be totally wrong. Please feel free to pour scorn and derision, I won't be offended...and BTW since I've paid for this gizmo I guarantee my bike will feel better!

Thanks guys.

Paxo said:
I have heard, and this may be completely false, that US fuel produces less bang for your buck than the fuel available in Europe. If this is so, could this account for the differences in opinions regarding the effectiveness of O2 manipulators?

Indeed your fuel is largely different (more efficient and effective) then U.S. fuels, but you pay 4x as much I believe, so it better be(!). Crude manipulation of the 02-sensor would make zero difference as it has a narrow operating range per above.

Also, what if there is a difference in the ECU mapping for European machines?
Stock? No difference: Maps are built in Italy for global delivery (this is a large part of the problem).
For my ECUs, I use revisions based on AutoTune maps created in the country of the bike as best I can. However, EVERY engine is different, and this is why I recommend a PC-V and AutoTune, which speaks for itself per above.

GT-Rx said:
Paxo, if you do a search on this forum, you will see where the FatDuc does not deliver as promised. I personally have watched this device deliver off-the-scale rich conditions when going from closed to open back to closed loop... just simply read it doesn't work and may cause serious engine issues in time.
I have a few 02-optimizers that do work properly for anyone interested, however the best solution is to revise the ECU mapping first. Happy to be of help of course, contact me direct; Todd at GuzziTech.com

any possibility to buy the optimizer without the PC-V? if yes i will get one.

Back