• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

father son project

alterego666

Just got it firing!
Hello my name is Jon and my dad is Eric and we have a 93 guzzi 1000SPIII heres the thing my dad has owned guzzi's for a wile and BMW's .My dad and I hit a road bump, we have made this bike a cafe racer by knocking off the plastics and getting ride of some wires nothing important. Bike was running great till we decided to simplify the harness .Finally take out the wires that where not needed or have been disconnected. we wanted hide all the relays and ignition control module under the seat , well now the bike is not running ive got some pictures for you guys to show what wires are on my ICM ,we cut one ,because we thought it was of no use. i cant find the right wiring diagram even on (this old tractor)
and when i find one that is close it doesn't shoe the colors / pin out for the ICM. some pictures called even mph cycles ,mgcycles,contacted ppl in Germany guzziladen. one place said just get a distributor with dyna ign.
073.jpg

069.jpg

DSC05123.jpg

DSC05117.jpg

DSC05131.jpg

DSC05057.jpg

76 moto guzzi 850t3 soon to be bobber
DSC05128.jpg

Hi Jon , Let me start off by giving you a real hot tip . BEFORE deciding that wires are "nothing important" or "not needed" find out what they actually are for ,AND I would think that ALL the wires going to the ICM are indeed needed and important. ;)
If you cant find a correct wiring diagram the best plan is probly to work backwards.
Sometimes you can be lucky enough to be able to psycally follow the wires from start to end and thus be able to figure out what they are for . Another possibility is that the relays are not plugged in correctly , have a close look at the bottom of the relay holder and make sure that none of the wires have been 1/2 pulled out of the holder as these wires will not contact the terminals on the relay when you plug it in .
A multi meter or even a test light would be a great help :)

Possibly a donor engine check the engine /frame nos
The ignition module looks like it might be th same used on the second series 94 Strada even tho the colours dont match that isn't that uncommon. Try using one of the wiring diags for the digiplex models ie the strada or the 1100s. Mostly the same wiring with accessorary wiring differences
Its all I can think of
Good luck

If I ever have to change a bike's wiring system I re-make the whole thing from scratch. It might seem a lot of work but I have found it often saves time chasing problems with an old incomplete system.

You could copy a suitable system for your bike from Carl Allisons diagrams here: https://www.guzzitech.com/tech/electri ... grams.html

Probably the closest electrically (and in form) would be the Mille GT. It is the bike you're trying to make. The Mille is the SPIII without the fairing. When you "bob" the T-3, someone would probably be interested in trading out the lower rails and linkage from a peg version T or T-3. The floorboard version is popular and I'd hate to see a set of floorboard rails ruined.

thank you thank you for you reply, me and my dad thought we can use a dizzy from like an 80+ tonti and then put dynatek ignition on it go with one on there coils ,and just do it that way. One of the guzzi guys in my town said he has a dizzy that he would be willing to sell for 40 bucks .im super stressed about the wires (my fualt) and i think that is a simple route i am still looking into the wires tho would like to keep it like it is. Ok so ive checked out a few diagrams and it seems that the wire i cut is A. Diagnostic interface prearrangement or B. Advance adjustment wires this would depend on the model of course but i cant seem to find the other end of the wire in the harness or where it would have went to
http://www.mgcycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=616 maybe buy a new harness and not cut anything lol
also this is what i was thinking for the bobber.
5836210345_f4c1498715_b.jpg

With a rigid frame like that on the bobber, your kidneys won't last long. Could do permanent damage. That is why kidney belts were common from the 20s through the 60s on hard tail Harleys (at least they had spring post seats in stock form). After a ride you could be peeing blood.

I thought that ICM plug might be familiar , If it is a digiplex ignition module then that wire is for a diagnostic port ( going by its position in the plug , ducati paso 906 use the same module ).
It would be a shame to butcher an old guzzi, why dont you "do " a harley instead, no one would care :p

http://www.bikeexif.com/bobber-motorcycle

ok ok how about this one but with my own spin on it looks cool. my dad likes. um ok so i think im going to a buy the dizzy of my friend ,and put the dynatek to it or get the Digital Ignition ZDG3 and redo the wires using my own diagram i do have the duck alt i hear there not all that fond of in the guzzi world but its what i got .any suggestions im down to Distributor/dynatek or Digital Ignition ZDG3

Jon , maybe Ive missed something but I cant see why you need to be getting other parts . Was the bike not running before you abbreviated the wiring ? If so then surely all you need to do is find out what happened . Are you sure that you havnt disconnected a side stand or clutch lever ignition cut-out ( I dont actually know if a SP111 has them :geek: )

Mc Tool said:
Jon , maybe Ive missed something but I cant see why you need to be getting other parts . Was the bike not running before you abbreviated the wiring ? If so then surely all you need to do is find out what happened . Are you sure that you havnt disconnected a side stand or clutch lever ignition cut-out ( I dont actually know if a SP111 has them :geek: )

No the bike doesn't have side or clutch switchs, yes bike was running before cause i used it as a daily driver and this was going to be a weekend fix up. also to the other guys giving us input you may want to know this bike was at a motorcycle shop ,and they could not even figure it out they said they narrowed it down to the bad ICM or coils wires look ok. i did kinda arc the battery when i was disconnecting it he said that could have killed the coil and or icm but donno about it

alterego666 said:
Mc Tool said:

No the bike doesn't have side or clutch switchs, yes bike was running before cause i used it as a daily driver and this was going to be a weekend fix up. also to the other guys giving us input you may want to know this bike was at a motorcycle shop ,and they could not even figure it out they said they narrowed it down to the bad ICM or coils wires look ok. i did kinda arc the battery when i was disconnecting it he said that could have killed the coil and or icm but donno about it
OK so you had it at a shop and they DIDNT bother testing the coils...Look for a better shop. FFS swapping out coils to test is a 5 min job.

Shoot im sorry guys ,yes he did test the coils they get power but can get them to fire bench tested cant get them to fire on the bike too no fire

Did find this on another guzzi forum i forgot i subscribed to lol
http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=57149.0
i told him not to do what i did.also there is a wire schm on there for maybe my digiplex

also found this to be very interesting
http://www.jefferies-au.org/MyECU/

If they won't fire on the bench (when you remove power) they won't fire in the bike. I suggest you find a good shop.

Well my town sucks to be blunt no one here works on guzzi and there was this shop that says they work and sell guzzi in Albuquerque but when i went they looked at me like i was talking Spanish they dont sell or work on guzzi .i would love to find a shop but none close to here maybe maybe when i get my toyota mr2 back on the road i may take the bike to MPH in Houston (moto guzzi mike ) ima about to give them a call

Dude take a giant stride backwards . What did you cut ??
Identify what you cut .
Reconnect the wires you actually cut .
I think you have cut an EARTH to something .
It used to run , now it dont , what did you cut ?
These bikes have rather confusing and strange earthing , somewhat inconsistant from what I found with mine , which is an '85 SP 11 essentially.
Then the problems get compounded when someone plays with the wiring .
Go back to what did you cut and start from there , or read my little charging problem which took me 70 odd posts and replies to get sorted . A PO was there , wow what a nightmare with the wiring .He thought it was ok , but never ran the bike long enough to notice she wasnt charging at all.
Good luck , you are in good hands here.
Regards Supaflee ( ps Mctool, official complaint sent to I P C A today with pics )

oh wow thats a nice AW this is mine 500$ cause the guy didnt have a clue on why the car didnt start i found a bad ground car started right up that was 3 years ago lol
DSC01330.jpg

i love that car its getting a full revamp, just a taste cause this is not the forum for it but its a 92 sw20 3sgte , in the process of a 3sgte stroked 5sgte with 550 cc inj and gsc performance cams 248 lift to a 268 lift ,port match heads ,TVIS eliminator, S.E.M

im just going to go with a dizzy and the dynatek ignition im done messing with iti wanna ride again mph Houston mike said to use a dizzy or that nice aftermarket one um this one http://www.silent-hektik.com/MG_R_Duc.htm i think

Back