• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Feedback on V7iii gearing..?

Maj Steve Trevor

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
I am thinking of going for a new V7 (Anniversario), and so far have done only a quick test ride. But I've heard in a few reviews minor complaints that the gearbox is "awkward" or the like. Anyone able to speak to that..? Thanks.

Thanks for these responses guys. So no experience with lugging or engine braking, to speak of..? I also test rode, for a longer period, a new Triumph Bobber and except when accelerating (which it seemed built for!) I always felt like I should be shifting up or down. It was not very flexible. Nothing like that w the V7iii..?

Last edited:
I think that will depend on your riding style & what you expect.
Guzzi's do not like to be lugged.

Run them at 4000 & above, altho I think I read the V9 is a slower turning engine.

This past Sunday I rode in the Distinguished Gentlemans ride on my '89 Mille.
For a number of reasons it was probably the worst two hours I ever spent on a bike.

The leader never went above 35mph which was too high for first & too slow for second.

I think that will depend on your riding style & what you expect.
Guzzi's do not like to be lugged.

Run them at 4000 & above, altho I think I read the V9 is a slower turning engine.

This past Sunday I rode in the Distinguished Gentlemans ride on my '89 Mille.
For a number of reasons it was probably the worst two hours I ever spent on a bike.

The leader never went above 35mph which was too high for first & too slow for second.

Hmm, still in first gear at 35mph..?

I have to admit, one of the things I really like about my current Royal Enfield is that it is very forgiving in its gearing. My riding is almost entirely city riding, where you're constantly drifting somewhere between 10 and 40 mph, and the bike has a lot of leaway within 2nd to 4th gear, so you don't have to keep shifting all the time. It's built for "puttering along" I guess, unlike more high performance bikes. Of course, the downside is, you don't want to be on a highway very long with it!

After I adjusted the shift linkage to raise the lever all was well. Before that awkward would be a good description. My boot would get caught between the foot peg and shifter...... awkward indeed! Clutch and brake lever also needed to be repositioned. As delivered they were perfectly horizontal to the ground. That made it difficult to have good clutch control and to roll off the throttle when braking. Adjusting the levers and shift linkage was a major improvement to the riding character of my V7 III Special.

Paul

Last edited:
Hmm, still in first gear at 35mph..?

I have to admit, one of the things I really like about my current Royal Enfield is that it is very forgiving in its gearing. My riding is almost entirely city riding, where you're constantly drifting somewhere between 10 and 40 mph, and the bike has a lot of leaway within 2nd to 4th gear, so you don't have to keep shifting all the time. It's built for "puttering along" I guess, unlike more high performance bikes. Of course, the downside is, you don't want to be on a highway very long with it!

I have wanted a Royal Enfield for a long time.
There is a rumor that they have put in a serious bid to own Ducati.

I have wanted a Royal Enfield for a long time.
There is a rumor that they have put in a serious bid to own Ducati.

Really, wow, I didn't know that... I know they are looking to expand into north America, and have begun to do so to a certain extent, but are still mainly in India. I have to say, I love mine (pic below) in almost every way -- looks, sound (thump thump!), riding position, etc -- except that the shifting is pretty rough, and every once in a while you think "man, 500cc is just not enough!"

RE%20882_zpsb8fit697.jpg

Back