• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Fin guards for Griso 8V?

myke8329

Tuned and Synch'ed
Does anyone know, or recommend, where (or even if) there are any fin guards available for the Griso 1200 8V? I've noted guards for the 1100 on eBay, but nothing for 1200. The only thing close that I've found are crash bars for sale in England (similar to the tubular crash bars on the BMWs). I can only assume the design of the 8V prohibits fin guards(?). Any information would be helpful.
Regards.

Correct. The proper name for fin guards is 'Rocker Protection Bars' They never saved the fins but they would prevent you taking the rocker gear out! With the 8V the rocker covers are bolted directly to the rocker mounts and cambox. It's a really good idea NOT to toss an 8V. even with crash bars these ar mounted to the crankcase and like the spineys reckon in a big toss they'll mash the cases.

Pete

I have seen crash bars that bolt to the frame mounts for a Griso. That might be a good way to go.

Problem is that most of 'em, (well, all the ones I've seen.) mount onto the frame tubes where they meet the timing chest. In any heavy shunt I'd think there would be a risk of cracking the crankcase or the timing cover.

Having said that Griso's crash well. Just ask Jon! :lol:

Pete

pete roper said:
Problem is that most of 'em, (well, all the ones I've seen.) mount onto the frame tubes where they meet the timing chest. In any heavy shunt I'd think there would be a risk of cracking the crankcase or the timing cover.

Having said that Griso's crash well. Just ask Jon! :lol:

Pete
Thanks for your advice. Plan is to stay upright :D

The Stucchi bars are decent, I've used them :silly:. I'd say they minimize damage rather then prevent it outright depending on the severity of the crash. They're better then nothing but will bend and push up against the heads in a decent crash, and are not super heavy duty due to no midpoint mount halfway between the two attachment points. For my crash, if my bike was repaired and not totaled the damage to the left cylinder head was only the head cover and a gasket. That's what was on the repair estimate anyway.

As far as style goes I think they're the best looking ones for the Griso imho.

Oh and if you do get the Stucchi bars take it from me, REMOVE the right foot peg bracket (only 5-6 bolts+ some clips for the brake line on the backside) to remove the rear brake reservoir retainer doodad. Trying to remove the doodad while the bracket's on the bike is a recipe for breaking it causing lots and lots of :evil: :evil: :evil:

And if you do brake it I just got some 1/2 inch x 20 gauge aluminum strip from Lowes/Home Depot. Cut it down, bent it (I heated mine with a torch) into a spiraling circle, put the reservoir in the middle, and then drill a hole for a screw to keep the reservoir secure. Spray paint it black; it'll look better and is more stable then the dinky plastic garbage they had on there.

TheMuffinMan said:
The Stucchi bars are decent, I've used them :silly:. I'd say they minimize damage rather then prevent it outright (depending on the severity of the crash. They're better then nothing, but will bend and push up against the heads in a decent crash and are not super heavy duty due to no midpoint mount halfway between the two attachment points. For my crash, if my bike was repaired and not totaled the damage to the left cylinder head was only the cover and a gasket or 's what was on the repair estimate anyway.

As far as style goes I think they're the best looking ones for the Griso imho.

Oh and if you do get the Stucchi bars take it from me, REMOVE the right foot peg bracket (only 5-6 bolts+ some clips for the brake line on the backside) to remove the rear brake reservoir retainer doodad. Trying to remove the doodad while the bracket's on the bike is a recipe for breaking it causing lots and lots of :evil: :evil: :evil:

And if you do brake it I just got some 1/2 inch x 20 gauge aluminum strip from Lowes/Home Depot. Cut it down, bend it (I heated mine with a torch) into a spiraling circle, put the reservoir in the middle, and then drill a hole for a screw to keep the reservoir securs. Spray paint it black; it'll look better and is more stable then the dinky plastic garbage they had on there.

Thank-you for your advice.

I have the Stucchi's and like their inconspicuous appearance. Only complaint is the factory put some type of plastic coating on them that is beginning to deterioriate into a sticky mess. Cleans up with some brake clean spray.

Back