• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Finally ridden

fossilrder

Tuned and Synch'ed
Greetings folks, Steve/Fossil here again. I think last time I was here it was while I was looking for info on upgrades for my Griso. The time before, needing help bleeding the brakes on one of my T3s (if my memory serves me?) Anyway, I'm back, finally, on the newest-to-me T3. I bought it 1 1/2 years ago and feverishly worked on it until I got to the point where I was about to wind up the project needing only the paint on the tank and side panels and really just a tune-up and start it up for a ride. Well, I got side tracked and haven't done anything on it for months until a few days ago when I decided to "Just Do It". I could wrap it up in no time and be riding. Or so I thought! I got the tank painted and am working on the side panels and did a quick valve adjustment and points setting. The carbs had already had a good cleaning a few months ago ( with only race gas in them since). So, the big moment. I cranked it up expecting a great-running machine, and got anything but. Running on only the left cylinder with the other jumping in now and then. I re checked the points, dropped the bowl off the left carb (clean), reset the air screws, got the carbs synced as close as I could by ear, checked the throttle cable free play, checked both coils, made sure the cables were seated in the adjusters, etc.. Then, for some reason the left started joining the party more often, but still part time, until the revs come up. Then it stumbles a bit but once over that range it revved as if nothing was wrong. I felt like I was making progress, then it started revving on its own! I took it for a couple short test runs a mile down the road and when I would pull in to turn around the engine would idle down, as expected, then just start to rev. Finally, at about 5,000 rpm, I had to hit the switch and shut it off. Craziest thing I've ever seen. And it has done it several times. To say the least, it makes for an interesting ride. Anybody ever had this happen? Reminded me of the Husqvarnas and some other bikes I raced in the '70s, when they started running out of gas, some of them would start leaning out and act like that. Thanks for any help. I am so excited to finally have gotten back on this project and basically finish it, and am ready to ride it. Foss

Nearly impossible to synchronize carbs by ear. Have you thought of taking it to someone with more experience to get the bike running properly?

Thanks for the reply, John. However, there at least a couple reasons I haven't really considered that. First, without loading the bike and hauling it God knows where, that isn't an option. Since I have been informed, by some guys in dealerships around here, that I am "one percent of the one percent", I won't even ASK these folk to work on a Guzzi, much less a almost half-century old Guzzi for fear they might have me tarred and feathered. Secondly, while I admittedly suck at electrics and carb jetting, I am not really totally ignorant about things mechanical, having completely restored many bikes from the frame up and a few cars. So, I usually do the bilk of my own work but, like most people, do run aground on occasion. When that happens, I have found that one can often find that someone on a forum has had the same, or a similar problem. Hence the post. As for the carb sync, I have gauges and hooked them, after fabricating the needed adapters, but the bike is running so rough at and just off idle I was having a hard time getting a good reading. Anyway, I will sort it out eventually. Attached is a bike I did that sold to a guy in France.

Attachments

• colorado '11 075.jpg
    colorado '11 075.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    231.1 KB · Views: 8
Well then, first thing I would do is swap coil sides and see if the problem moves to the other cylinder. Sometimes a coil doesn't produce enough voltage to spark the spark plug under pressure.

Well, the search goes on, though I have made some progress. I switched the coils, but the popping still comes from the left, but in the process I did find quite a bit of corrosion in the end of the left plug wire where it slides onto the spike in the coil. Cut the end off a bit and found good clean wire. The popping is somewhat better. I did some more adjusting on the carbs and synced them, with the gauges. It all seemed to help. It also seems the more I run it the better it runs, which I thought it might given the length of time it has sat. Also a bit confused that, in order to get much slack at all in the throttle cables and choke cables, I have had to back off completely on the adjusters. This is something Dave Richardson says you might have to do in "Guzziology", even remove the lock nut sometimes. Puzzling.? Anyway, my biggest problem that is left is the unassisted revving. The bike can be sitting at idle and you can rev the engine and if it gets to around 3000 rpm, it will just keep climbing, even the throttle has been turned back off, until I finally turn off the switch around 5000 (and still climbing). I even pulled the throttle return springs and stretched them about 1/4" since I think these are the medium strength springs. I am thinking I might try a set of the original heavy springs, if I can find them. I had forgotten that the accelerator pump has a spring that tries to raise the needle/slide and that might be what is causing this issue, with the weaker springs on top of the slide. What do you think?

I am thinking I might try a set of the original heavy springs, if I can find them. I had forgotten that the accelerator pump has a spring that tries to raise the needle/slide and that might be what is causing this issue, with the weaker springs on top of the slide. What do you think?

The springs on VHBs are "heavy" for a reason: since the slides are square and fit rather loosely in the carbs, a fair amount of the spring pressure is required for the slides to seal in the carburetor throat. The springs not only push the slide down, but forward as well.

Yeah, I realize that but I am pretty sure the springs in these carbs are ones I bought from MG cycles and was told they were the lightest they would recommend for these carbs. I say I'm pretty sure because, as I too often do, I worked on this bike when I first got it a year and a half ago then it has been sitting until now, when I decided to finish it. So I have nobody to blame for a lot of my woes for doing that on projects. By the time I get back on it, I have forgotten what I did earlier! I hate to go to the heavy springs, they are a literal "pain". But I can't ride a bike that does what this one is doing. You need to ride with one hand on the throttle and one on the switch. A buddy suggested taking the small accelerator pump springs out as a test to see if the slides would then seat and stay there. Problem is, it will sit and idle and s-l-o-w-l-y idle down after a blip of the throttle, as long as I don't rev it past 2000 or so. Above that and it either won't idle back down or it takes off and starts to climb. I would think by the time the slide is high enough to get to 2000 or so the bottom springs wouldn't be pushing any more.? Oh well, Looks like the killer springs might be the solution. thanks for the input. Foss

As the saying goes, "fact is stranger than fiction". I spent a little time at my shop yesterday and, while there working on something else, I decided to fire the T3 up and warm it up and try to see if I could hear/see anything else that could be causing the revving problem. Once warmed up, I started revving the engine, at first only to about 2000 rpm, then a little higher and finally to well over the 3000 point that had been where the problem started. NO PROBLEM! I couldn't make the beast rev on its own at all. So, maybe the problem is fixed.? I have no idea what was causing it, and it could return, I guess, but for now all is fine. Very strange indeed. Thanks for the input. And, if I should ever figure out what was causing the problem, I will post for others to know. Regards. Foss

Very strange indeed! My thoughts drift to cause and effect. Had you washed the bike recently? Have you fully and completely examined your wires for any wear, cracks, etc. At that age, I would have replaced them first off. Point to ponder but glad you have her running now.

Back