• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

First Cali purchase thoughts?

Barnaby Kemp

Just got it firing!
Hi kind Guzzi folk.
I’m looking at a trio of Californias - a 1994 1100i, a 2006 EV and a 2008 Classic. Apart from general differences/specifics, what thoughts on choosing one model over another? I had a ‘96 1100 Sport twenty years ago and a V7 more recently, and I’m happy to have a go at basic/ongoing maintenance (with a great MG mechanic nearby when I screw it all up…).
I’m keen to get the most ‘user-friendly’ daily rider of the bunch. I prefer the style of ‘94 but any specific issues to look out for? Is it just better to go for the most recent bike within budget? Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions, I really appreciate it.
BK

Having worked on all those models, I would pick the 08. One reason is the ECU, easy to work with on this model, can turn off O2 sensor. It also has twin plugs. They run extremely lean though. Has the best in braking w/integral splitter for brakes like early ones. the 06 has a lever on swingarm which always wears out rear pads faster.
The 94 has an ECU that needs a chip or PC to change mapping. Good Luck in your search.

Having worked on all those models, I would pick the 08. One reason is the ECU, easy to work with on this model, can turn off O2 sensor. It also has twin plugs. They run extremely lean though. Has the best in braking w/integral splitter for brakes like early ones. the 06 has a lever on swingarm which always wears out rear pads faster.
The 94 has an ECU that needs a chip or PC to change mapping. Good Luck in your search.
Thanks for your reply, those are worthwhile considerations. I’ll dig a little deeper with the 08 and consider a purchase. Cheers.

My brother has the California in the background and my bike is the one in the front.
Both of us have a bit over 60,000 km on it. both of us have changed the handlebars to a more conventional set up. He did “power commander” set-up and air filter. I’m carbureted his is fuel injected, my bike likes to be run 1000 RPM higher than his… About 3500 - 4000 RPM cruise and it happily spools up to Redline (I drive his ears off)! My top speed is higher than his (with the windshield and bags on it) , his fifth gear is more like an overdrive compared to mine. He is replacing relays… A lot…! He has a 17” rear wheel and has trouble getting tires for it.. I have 18”!
If I had to choose between them I would buy an old 1100cc carbureted California again!
Anything goes wrong (which happened once in the last 10 years) I can fix my old Cali on the side of the road while he more than likely will be stranded.(he does carry some relays with him now)
28507328 B419 4CDF 82D0 7985A6DE7B89
Is his bike prettier? Yes it is, I think so! But is his bike better? NO! I would not trade! Mine is so much sportier and reliable!
But I could make my bike look like his!
AND I don’t have to do anything with the ECU, no catalytic converter‘s, no hot running engine cooking itself to death - none of it‼️
It’s just a happy very good sounding bike!

Last edited:
I agree with Lemans850i, the older the better, I have a 1990 California III, 1000cc carbs, I think the 1100 refi would be a but better performer, but I can sort out just about everything on the old girl. You almost can't go wrong f the price is right.

AND I don’t have to do anything with the ECU, no catalytic converter‘s, no hot running engine cooking itself to death - none of it‼️

I will never understand this. Why all of this hostility towards the modern motorcycles?

I have 6 Moto Guzzi motorcycles ranging from 1997-2012 and I love them all. None of them have issues. All work exactly as designed and none have ever left me stranded on the side of the road.

All of them are bone stock except for my Stelvio NTX which has the GTM full fueling setup which I love on that particular motorcycle.

Go figure…

Scott, I do respect your opinions and knowledge very much!
Most of the time I agree with your postings 💯 %!
I wouldn’t call it hostility just preference caused by major concerns!
The old stuff I just understand , the new stuff… Not so much…
I can fix a carburetor on the side of the road but not a fuel injector or an ECU or one of those sealed relays..
Or fall over on a V85 and break the throttle on your handle bar… you are done! (Fly by wire)
How many first Gen BMW 750i cars do you see in the road ? … none!
They all died the electronic component malfunction death!
(Yes you can buy one of the 15 electronic brains used for $$$$) Mechanical the engines were still perfect!
That V12 engine was great but what made it run had an expiration date on it… electronics don’t age well!
For you and Todd any hiccups are a nonevent… hang it on some laptop and you can see where the problem is and replace the part or make adjustments in the program… (I question how long electronic components will be supported by the factory)
I can get a piston made for a 100 Year old Guzzi.. but can you get an ECU or dash cluster made for a 50 year old Griso (once it gets there)? I love my Griso!!
Is there an alternative to keep a modern bike running once it gets of age? I hope so but I have my doubts! The used parts bin of low production bikes will be empty one day 🫣

Last edited:
Scott, I do respect your opinions and knowledge very much!
Most of the time I agree with your postings 💯 %!
I wouldn’t call it hostility just preference caused by major concerns!
The old stuff I just understand , the new stuff… Not so much…
I can fix a carburetor on the side of the road but not a fuel injector or an ECU or one of those sealed relays..
Or fall over on a V85 and break the throttle on your handle bar… you are done! (Fly by wire)
How many first Gen BMW 750i cars do you see in the road ? … none!
They all died the electronic component malfunction death!
(Yes you can buy one of the 15 electronic brains used for $$$$) Mechanical the engines were still perfect!
That V12 engine was great but what made it run had an expiration date on it… electronics don’t age well!
For you and Todd any hiccups are a nonevent… hang it on some laptop and you can see where the problem is and replace the part or make adjustments in the program… (I question how long electronic components will be supported by the factory)
I can get a piston made for a 100 Year old Guzzi.. but can you get an ECU or dash cluster made for a 50 year old Griso (once it gets there)? I love my Griso!!
Is there an alternative to keep a modern bike running once it gets of age? I hope so but I have my doubts! The used parts bin of low production bikes will be empty one day 🫣
Good points. I had a carbed CAII that would deliver great fuel mileage and never hiccuped . Once I went to fuel injected bikes, fuel mileage was not so good. I will be keeping my MkV LeMans for a long time.

I mean no harm nor foul.

I have a BMW R100 Classic with 40mm Bing Carbs.

God knows that I am very familiar with carb motorcycles 😆😆😆. It was and still is, a gigantic part of my workshop activities.

This being said, I don’t have any negative opinions of the modern FI used nowadays. I find the stuff exceptionally robust and durable.

So I just feel comfortable with all of it. Yes.

Lemans850I, when those bikes fuel injection and ecu’s crap out and supplies dry up. That could open up a whole new market for carburetors and points!👍

Thanks for the replies all - a bit of a hot topic maybe? Obviously though, both have pros and cons. I'm not (yet) proficient enough to sort out a roadside carb issue, so no benefits with that regards. Fuel mileage, these days that's a consideration but over the course of x000 miles a year, probably not a biggie. And should the electronic parts cease to be, there's always the option of reverting to carb. The carb 1100 I'm looking at is one of the last, while the 1100i is first or second year. There's something to be said in a last-of-the-line bike, when hopefully most gremlins have been engineered out. But no guarantees of course, particularly when accounting for previous owners' care and attention. Both bikes have decent history and paperwork, and both similar condition.
So I'm just going to have to choose based on a perplexing, head-scratching selection that's as old as time itself. Red, or Black.
BUT...I like them both...

My brother has the California in the background and my bike is the one in the front.
Both of us have a bit over 60,000 km on it. both of us have changed the handlebars to a more conventional set up. He did “power commander” set-up and air filter. I’m carbureted his is fuel injected, my bike likes to be run 1000 RPM higher than his… About 3500 - 4000 RPM cruise and it happily spools up to Redline (I drive his ears off)! My top speed is higher than his (with the windshield and bags on it) , his fifth gear is more like an overdrive compared to mine. He is replacing relays… A lot…! He has a 17” rear wheel and has trouble getting tires for it.. I have 18”!
If I had to choose between them I would buy an old 1100cc carbureted California again!
Anything goes wrong (which happened once in the last 10 years) I can fix my old Cali on the side of the road while he more than likely will be stranded.(he does carry some relays with him now)
View attachment 31775
Is his bike prettier? Yes it is, I think so! But is his bike better? NO! I would not trade! Mine is so much sportier and reliable!
But I could make my bike look like his!
It’s just a happy very good sounding bike!
Actually, yours has the looks for me. I'm obviously a curves kinda chap...

Regardless of how technologically fantastic some of my motorcycles are (my BMW K1600GT or the Eldorado 1400 for example), my favorite motorcyvle for it’s overall balance of technology and rugged reliability, is my California Vintage. I love everything about the simple, non-ABS, motorcycle. She is a true pleasure to operate and ride and is without a doubt, the most dependable and rugged construction. The V11-EV ‘s are just the same. Lovely pushrod twins.

IMG 8651 IMG 8650 IMG 8649

Actually, yours has the looks for me. I'm obviously a curves kinda chap...
The only thing you have to do is change the handlebars! The original set up is just hideous… it makes it a totally different bike…
At least for me… I’m 6‘2” and it was just so uncomfortable, elbow bent the whole time, steering like a 1915 Motorcycle the handlebars so far back and to steer at slow speed you move left and right with your hands …. Like you’re sitting behind a wheel barrel..
and you can push it around without being awkward … Lol 😂

Attachments

• 7E795A3F-12B7-433C-A1E0-98A3FBDC486D.png
    7E795A3F-12B7-433C-A1E0-98A3FBDC486D.png
    728.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Back