• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Fitted heated grips

lmrn1

Tuned and Synch'ed
So fitted heated grips today, easy enough to do, whip off the connectors on bike and replace with bullet connectors, fit grips and they work. Only problem is the throttle seems to be sticking slightly but I think it was doing that before. Any ideas on how to adjust so they don't stick.

thanks

Lee

Reports like that give me courage to try myself. ;)

And, while predictably, I am of no help with your throttle-sticking question, I'll hitchhike on your post and ask my own.

Do heated grips "wear out" in the sense of diminished heat?

My Norge's are faint shadows of their original selves. Barely warm to an ungloved hand even when set on "3." Corrosion somewhere?

Thanks for the ride. :laugh:

Bill

I've fitted the factory heated grips to several CARC bikes. Initially, the early ones installed without a hitch, but the later versions needed a boss to be filed off the circumference of the replacement twistgrip. Not sure why the specifications changed, I have to assume they are also used for some other (Aprilia?) models.

Take a look at the replacement twistgrip for this protusion; as you tighten the screws when reassembling, you will feel it catching on the clamping part. Once you realize it serves no purpose, remove it with a small file, and your troubles will be over.

I'm assuming you have the correct kit for your model, the Breva and 1200 Sport are different than the Norge due to the different style of controls. Dunno what the later 8V versions use.

Bill Hagan said:

My Norge's are faint shadows of their original selves. Barely warm to an ungloved hand even when set on "3." Corrosion somewhere?

You've hit it on the nail. Check the plugs and sockets where they plug in. I've experienced problems with these connectors.

If you peel back the grips slightly, it will reveal the terminals to the grip heater. Here you can measure the voltage across the terminal, and compare with the voltage between the "hot" terminal (experiment to determine which one) and the chassis which is also the heater current return. For some unknown reason, I've experienced issues with this return circuit, and was able to trace it every time to the connectors.

I have recently fitted the aftermarket Oxford Heated Grips to my Sport which were pretty straightforward to fit. The throttle side did not fully return to its closed position but I found some grip glue had leaked causing stiction. Once I removed this they were fine. I could not get them to work with the pre-installed wires under the tank etc so resorted to fitting them as instructed by Oxford. These are the first heated grips I have ever had on any motorcycle after some 30yrs of riding. Wow, what a difference! I cannot believe I have not done it sooner. The Oxford version I have has a controller that has 4 different heat settings. On maximum they are actually too hot! Its been very cold here in the UK in recent weeks and I am finding I can ride in lightweight waterproof summer gloves and only need a middle heat setting. Brilliant.

Grip heaters / new gel grips are one of my first mods to any bike. I've used both under grip heating elements and Oxford all-in-one grips; I prefer the separate elements so I can choose my own grips, and my Oxfords wore through to expose the heating wires (replaced them with elements and gel grips).

On the 1200S, I used the factory connectors, even going so far as to find the correct Molex connectors to plug into. In hindsight, I would have just cut off the factory connectors and soldered everything together or used posi-locks. I added a momentary switch into one of the blank rounds next to the hazard button.

I'm really impressed by the MG engineering - it's brilliant having the indicator on the LCD dash.

I use the heated grips whenever I'm a bit chilly. I don't mind using them when it's 60F out!

Enjoy,
Tom

I used the bike for work yesterday, first time since I put the grips on. It was +1 so a bit chilly and they were great. Even using the factory fitting wiring and heat control setting 3 got a bit to much.

For a pair of grips that were £22 I am impressed.

Just got the hand guards to fit now but need some extra long bolts so they can fit on the outside of the bar weights and hopefully they shouldn't interfere with the screen.

kiwi dave said:
Bill Hagan said:

You've hit it on the nail. Check the plugs and sockets where they plug in. I've experienced problems with these connectors.

If you peel back the grips slightly, it will reveal the terminals to the grip heater. Here you can measure the voltage across the terminal, and compare with the voltage between the "hot" terminal (experiment to determine which one) and the chassis which is also the heater current return. For some unknown reason, I've experienced issues with this return circuit, and was able to trace it every time to the connectors.

Many thanks.

Missed your response somehow, and just saw when it "resurfaced" with thread activity.

Appreciate the explanation; and, actually (if somewhat unbelievably to those who know me :whistle: ) , that is in my limited electro-mechanical reach. :laugh:

Bill

toma nova said:
Grip heaters / new gel grips are one of my first mods to any bike. I've used both under grip heating elements and Oxford all-in-one grips; I prefer the separate elements so I can choose my own grips, and my Oxfords wore through to expose the heating wires (replaced them with elements and gel grips).

On the 1200S, I used the factory connectors, even going so far as to find the correct Molex connectors to plug into. In hindsight, I would have just cut off the factory connectors and soldered everything together or used posi-locks. I added a momentary switch into one of the blank rounds next to the hazard button.

I'm really impressed by the MG engineering - it's brilliant having the indicator on the LCD dash.

I use the heated grips whenever I'm a bit chilly. I don't mind using them when it's 60F out!

Enjoy,
Tom
Tom, did you use a push to make or push to break type momentary switch?

I've just discovered that my '09 Norge has factory heated grips. :? The previous owner apparently didn't know, and thus never said antying. I found the button on the left grip near the headlight hi/lo switch. I have not used them yet. I pushed the button and didn't see any indicator lights or any way to know whether they were on, at what level, or off. The bike was not started, so I didn't leave them on long enough to throw off any noticeable heat. Is there an on/off/temp level indicator I should look for?

Joe,

The grip indicator will appear in the upper part of the LCD when the grips are on; it is a picture of a grip with three bars to indicated hi / med / lo.

To turn the grips on, hold the button for a few seconds, maybe three. To change heat levels, push and release the button. To turn off, hold for three seconds again.

My 1200S did not come with heaters but had all the wiring and controls like your Norge. I'm quite pleased with the control and display system MG chose.

HTH,
Tom

toma nova said:
Joe,

The grip indicator will appear in the upper part of the LCD when the grips are on; it is a picture of a grip with three bars to indicated hi / med / lo.

To turn the grips on, hold the button for a few seconds, maybe three. To change heat levels, push and release the button. To turn off, hold for three seconds again.

My 1200S did not come with heaters but had all the wiring and controls like your Norge. I'm quite pleased with the control and display system MG chose.

HTH,
Tom

Perfect! Thank you!

Back