• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Fitting Griso SE brown saddle on 08 Griso 8V

GRIISO8V

Just got it firing!
Anyone out there know whether the brown leather SE saddle will fit the 08 8V without mods? I think that dark brown leather will look awesome with the black paint on my 8V.

Thanks

Yes it will. I have a customer who just went the other way, swapping his suede seat for a stocker off an 1100. All the griso seats are interchaneable but the SE seat is actually closer in shape to the 1100 seat than the 1200.

Pete

The seat on my 09 Griso 8v is seamless, which I like. Not sure why Piaggio chose to use the Griso seat with the seams running lengthwise at the top outside 'shoulders' for the SE model. Seems like high stress points looking for a seam split.

Mark

Shows how much I know about my own bike, I didn't realise the 1100 and the 8V had different saddle designs. Good to know about the SE saddle though, I might have to see if I can find one.

Thanks again,

I have actually done this on my white '09 Griso 8v. No mods required. The brown seat with the white bike looks great... FYI, brown seat isn't as comfortable. It's a little narrower and harder.

Hmmm, you guys got me thinking, I should try out my black seat before I have it modified. I find the brown seat is not even a one hour seat but to be fair it is getting better.

Darn brown seat is so much better looking though not that the black seat is a wart. The black seat looks very good but the brown seat has that something special about it.

Ok nothing's ever easy. Got the brown saddle, after a bit of a struggle it went on but now the key won't release it! Key goes in, turns ok but the catch isn't releasing, it may be that the release post isn't engineered exactly the right way but it's now stuck. Is there another way of releasing the seat catch when it gets stuck?
:angry:

Push down on the seat when turning the key to unlock it. I have had to do this from day 1 with my Griso with the stock seat to get it to release easily.

kmac33 said:
Push down on the seat when turning the key to unlock it. I have had to do this from day 1 with my Griso with the stock seat to get it to release easily.
Bizarre, after a good half hour of trying and failing to get the damn thing off I gave up, went back to it an hour later and pop, it opened right up!
:?:

I turn the key, lift, nothing. Then I jab my knee into the middle of the seat (36" inseam) and that pops the seat. I have not idea why that works, you'd think it would relock the seat.

the funny thing is I think it actually said to push down in the center of the seat while turning the key to release the seat.... I had the same problem and freaked out... RTFM sometimes.

GRIISO8V said:
Ok nothing's ever easy. Got the brown saddle, after a bit of a struggle it went on but now the key won't release it! Key goes in, turns ok but the catch isn't releasing, it may be that the release post isn't engineered exactly the right way but it's now stuck. Is there another way of releasing the seat catch when it gets stuck?

Please post pics! I was just about to order one of those SE leather saddles from a dealership's website, when I stumbled on this thread. I have an 07 black 1100, and I've always thought it would look great with a brown leather saddle, but now that you've done it.. I wanna see it before I order it! Can you believe it's actually less expensive than the black, tri-panel saddle that came stock on the 07 1100?! the stock saddle for the 07 1100 is $302, the SE is $258!

The Mad Hatta! said:
GRIISO8V said:

Please post pics! I was just about to order one of those SE leather saddles from a dealership's website, when I stumbled on this thread. I have an 07 black 1100, and I've always thought it would look great with a brown leather saddle, but now that you've done it.. I wanna see it before I order it! Can you believe it's actually less expensive than the black, tri-panel saddle that came stock on the 07 1100?! the stock saddle for the 07 1100 is $302, the SE is $258!

Will do, as soon as it gets back from service this week. Looks the dog's.
:lol:

Just a quick note to confirm the brown seat for the SE is NOT leather. Which is bummer, but in Phoenix leather may not be such a good idea. Vinyl will age more gracefully.

Still, it looks damn good. Still looking at having a custom seat made and have not come up with a better color.

rboe said:
Just a quick note to confirm the brown seat for the SE is NOT leather. Which is bummer, but in Phoenix leather may not be such a good idea. Vinyl will age more gracefully.

Still, it looks damn good. Still looking at having a custom seat made and have not come up with a better color.

Even the center panel is not leather? boo. I've contacted a local upholsterer that specializes in motorcycle saddles as well (to see if reupholstering my saddle would be cheaper than buying the SE saddle), and I'll be bringing her my saddle tomorrow to find out. I may have her do my seat in the deep, saddle brown leather that I've been wanting. As long as it's taken care of, leather will certainly age better than vinyl. All I keep thinking of is the beauty, color and character of my parent's well used horse saddles; and how great that will look on a mean bike like the griso.

The Mad Hatta! said:
rboe said:

Even the center panel is not leather? boo. I've contacted a local upholsterer that specializes in motorcycle saddles as well (to see if reupholstering my saddle would be cheaper than buying the SE saddle), and I'll be bringing her my saddle tomorrow to find out. I may have her do my seat in the deep, saddle brown leather that I've been wanting. As long as it's taken care of, leather will certainly age better than vinyl. All I keep thinking of is the beauty, color and character of my parent's well used horse saddles; and how great that will look on a mean bike like the griso.

The centre section isn't leather, it's made of some kind of synthetic stuff but the rest of the saddle is. Even Guzzi describe it as "premium leather". I've treated mine and if it isn't real leather then it's a bloody good imitation. Overall it's a great looking addition to the black bike.

The Mad Hatta! said:
GRIISO8V said:

Attachments

• DSC_0137.JPG
    DSC_0137.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 598
GRIISO8V said:
The Mad Hatta! said:
rboe said:

The centre section isn't leather, it's made of some kind of synthetic stuff but the rest of the saddle is. Even Guzzi describe it as "premium leather". I've treated mine and if it isn't real leather then it's a bloody good imitation. Overall it's a great looking addition to the black bike.

The seat has a black elastic band which is stapled to the base so I can NOT inspect the edge of the seat. But the strap is visible and it's synthetic. Certainly looks to be the same material as the seat and it does not feel like leather. Now that said; it looks damn good and will be less of a maintenance issue than real leather.

I've had my saddle at an upholsterer for a few weeks, and should be getting it back today. The center panel on mine IS black leather, and it will be staying. The two side panels and the strap are being replaced with a beautiful dark chestnut leather. I bought some URAD leather conditioner and URAD Mr. Jojo leather weather-proofer to take care of it. I'll post pics when I get it back.

Oh yea, as I suspected, that SE saddle looks great on the black bike GRIISO8V!

Back