• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Fitting points to a 2000 V11 Bassa motor

Moto-Uno

High Miler
Have a chance at a V 11 motor and am considering buying it . But I'd like to fit a points ignition distributor
to the motor . It appears to have a cover bolted on the cases exactly where a distributor used to go on the
Tonti framed bikes . Is this possible ? Does the cam have a drive worm on it ? Or is an earlier cam necessary ?
Thanks for any experienced info . Peter

I don't think it is completely machined to accept the distributor. Also I'm not sure if the camshaft has the drive. If you have access to the engine, you could remove the plate and see if the drive is there. Also an older designed cam may not be optimal for the 1100 engine. Hopefully someone may know for sure.

Thanks for your response . I guess if anyone has the time , it's only two bolts and then we can
see for sure if it's possible . Peter

The FI cams do not have the drive for the distributor. In my research decades ago, it wasn’t worth the time and $.

Well I have the cam from my old LeMans 2 . Now what I need to really know , is the hole under the cap on the crankcase drilled through to the cam ? I'm not totally unfamiliar with fabrication . Peter

All F.I. motors up through ~2002 or so were open to the cam, yes. Once they stopped casting the hole, they dropped the bolted-on block off plate.

The FI cams do not have the drive for the distributor. In my research decades ago, it wasn’t worth the time and $.
This makes 100% total sense, and what I was thinking, as the worm gear cut on the cams would add significantly to their cost for no reason as Moto Guzzi will never be able to return to breaker points ignitions.

For the life of me, given the spectacular reliability and performance of electronic ignition systems nowadays, why would you want to do this?

I’m truly curious.

When you're finally officially old , it'll make perfect sense :) . I have pretty much everything to do the mod , now that I have found the info I need . To clarify , I'm going to be getting just the motor from the wrecker , that's all that's available an all I want. This motor will be going into my long yellow custom and I certainly wouldn't want to be accused of being some hipster that just bought his way into motorcycling! Plus I kinda enjoy the way the Eldorado climbs through the mountains here . It won't be that powerful, but it'll sure be faster than what's in it now. Peter

I am officially “old” Peter!

I can make a filling feast of some bread, butter, olives, and a piece of fruit.

I have 3 sons all near 30 years of age.

It takes me 10 minutes to pee, as I start and stop 7 times every time, and by the time I’m finally finished, I have to go pee again 15 minutes later. 😆😆😆

Yep. I’m old.

^ :D Well then , you're getting close , my kids will be past their 30's in 1 and 2 years . So I hope my affection for points and carbs
is understandable . Retirement has been a treat , but I miss tinkering around with old school technology ! Peter

So I hope my affection for points and carbs
is understandable . Retirement has been a treat , but I miss tinkering around with old school technology ! Peter
My point above is that it's not cost effective to convert a F.I. motor to carbs. If you want to run carbs, I recommend leaving the ECU to handle timing, and just add carbs if you want to go Back to the Future. ;)

Ah yes , but I only have access to the motor , no additional parts , electrics etc . I have carbs , distributor assemblies
and a couple of tonti cams with and without tach drive . Peter

When you're finally officially old , it'll make perfect sense :) . I have pretty much everything to do the mod , now that I have found the info I need . To clarify , I'm going to be getting just the motor from the wrecker , that's all that's available an all I want. This motor will be going into my long yellow custom and I certainly wouldn't want to be accused of being some hipster that just bought his way into motorcycling! Plus I kinda enjoy the way the Eldorado climbs through the mountains here . It won't be that powerful, but it'll sure be faster than what's in it now. Peter
It appears you are dropping this into a loop frame Eldorado. Be aware you many need to modify the front fender somewhat so that it clears the alternator cover on compression.

In my 1995 Quota 1000 engine only the top bit of the distributor hole is machined so the o-ring of the cap has a seating surface. Deeper down it is irregularly cast with only an small opening on the forward side showing the cam that has no worm gear.
I guess the machined surface can be used to set up a mill, centric and under the right angle.
If you look up SWF igitions and put the site through google translator, this is a Dutch guy that makes cheap ignitions that can be crank fired, even though they are not listed in the pics. People on the forum there are very satisfied with the quality and service plus you have the choice between set curves or fully programmable and any coils of your choice.

I am officially “old” Peter!

I can make a filling feast of some bread, butter, olives, and a piece of fruit.

I have 3 sons all near 30 years of age.

It takes me 10 minutes to pee, as I start and stop 7 times every time, and by the time I’m finally finished, I have to go pee again 15 minutes later. 😆😆😆

Yep. I’m old.
This is what the Kaminsky Method called "Peeing in Morse code":wasntme:

It was the accumulation of parts I'd been buying on Ebay (a head here , a crank there) for about 5 or 6 years .
The transmission was pretty much the same thing . In the end it was mostly a T-3 ( with oil filter) . Enough power
to get it up almost 150 kph , just don't be in any rush to get there . It's got me and my wife up to Prince Rupert in B.C
and south to a rally in Oregon and most everywhere else around B.C . This possible motor should hasten
my arrival anywhere we care to go :) . The only real problem was the driveshafts I was making , the first
couple failed after a few thousand kilometers ( always close to home , never had to push or tow it) . The
third one has been in it for years now , practice makes perfect ! Peter

Back