• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Flat tire fix " in a can" for punctured tire....

Speedy

Tuned and Synch'ed
Planning a trip out to the west coast in July and wandered if any one has tried these instant flat tire repair kits. At our local Canadian Tire store they sell a variety of types. One is a can that has a tire sealant and compressed air, presumably enough to fill a completely deflated tire, another kit has a can of tire sealant as well as a mini compressor (which plugs into a cigarette lighter plug, which the Norge is equipted) , I think this would be a better choice.
Any thoughts on any of these products would be appreciated, Also, if after using a tire sealant in a tire, would the tire have to evntually be removed, sealant cleaned out and a proper plug installed?

Those repair systems may work but never for me.

The Plug N Go kit looks like the one I'd go for.

Being a careful type, this is what I carry always because where I ride even cellphone coverage is often limited, so self reliance is a must.

Puncturegearcarried.jpg

The mini compressor comes from an accessory shop and cost very little. Invaluable to helf FIND the hole and then fully inflate the tyre.
I have so many unused plugs that I want to use them before going to Plug N Go.
The air bottles are used just for initial inflation after the hole has been plugged. It takes about four bottles to fully inflate a rear tyre.

Thanks Graham, I never thought of just using gold old fashion tire plugs, portable air compressors are fairly inexpesive, don't know if the power outlet on the Norge would handle the load of a compressor, but I would probably just convert the cigarette lighter plug to a couple of battery type clamps.
I don't plan on getting a flat tire ( no body ever does) but I know if I am prepared for it, then it probably won't happen. Murphy's other law.
Personally, I think the only thing good to come out of a can is beer,
Cheers mate....Speedy

Re:Flat tire fix

Speedy wrote:
Thanks Graham, I never thought of just using gold old fashion tire plugs, portable air compressors are fairly inexpesive, don't know if the power outlet on the Norge would handle the load of a compressor, but I would probably just convert the cigarette lighter plug to a couple of battery type clamps.
I don't plan on getting a flat tire ( no body ever does) but I know if I am prepared for it, then it probably won't happen. Murphy's other law.
Personally, I think the only thing good to come out of a can is beer,
Cheers mate....Speedy

Cigarette lighter is good for 10 amps, more than enough to run a small tyre compressor.

IMHO, beer is best out of a keg, second a bottle; can when desperate or when it's free. :laugh:

If you use the "goop" type products to fix a flat and then take it to a tyre dealer for a permanent fix, they will hate you!

The mess inside the tyre is unbelievable and cleaning it up is a major PITA, and many will justifiably charge extra.

I use "Stop N Go" tyre plugs and a "Cycle Pump" - perfect!

I have been using Slime in my tubeless Guzzi tires for literally decades. Be sure you get the right formula, one for tubes, another tubeless. Put it in right after tire is balanced & mounted. You MUST balance BEFORE installation of Slime. The idea is, prevent the flat from happening in the first place. Nearly always works, hardly ever get a flat, just see green spot on tread where Slime sealed the puncture. At worst (this happened once) with large, jagged puncture hole tire loses air/goes flat more slowly than it would have without the stuff, still safer than nothing. Any place I have changed tires, just tell them before they remove, have always appreciated notice, never ever charged me extra. Container says something about not using at high speed. Baloney, just lawyers talking. I've had several Guzzis up to 120 MPH with Slime in the tires, never been able to tell the difference. I love the stuff, won't be without it. Used "Ride On" 2-3 times, had to get it out, got between tire bead & rim, actually caused a leak where there was none otherwise, back to Slime. In all 6 tires on all 3 of my Guzzis as we speak, won't be without it.

I'm with Brian on this one....Ultraseal is great stuff. OK my tyre fitter isn't very happy if he's not warned about it before he removes an old tyre, but he actually recommended it as a good alternative to bulking up the luggage with a mini-compressor & plug kit......and my Griso doesn't have a power outlet (yet!). If you use Ultraseal its adviseable to check tyre pressure with the valve anywhere except at the bottom & to wait a minute for the stuff to drain down before putting the air line on the valve.....if you ignore this the Ultraseal will try to seal the valve!

The stuff to avoid at all costs unless its an emergency & no alternative is available are the aerosols that fix the puncture & inflate the tyre. If you use them you can't vulcanize a patch to repair the tyre afterwards.

Mike.C wrote:
If you use the "goop" type products to fix a flat and then take it to a tyre dealer for a permanent fix, they will hate you!

The mess inside the tyre is unbelievable and cleaning it up is a major PITA, and many will justifiably charge extra.

I use "Stop N Go" tyre plugs and a "Cycle Pump" - perfect!

What kind of cycle pump? Are you refering to a bicycle tire hand pump???

Will wrote:
I'm with Brian on this one....Ultraseal is great stuff. OK my tyre fitter isn't very happy if he's not warned about it before he removes an old tyre, but he actually recommended it as a good alternative to bulking up the luggage with a mini-compressor & plug kit......and my Griso doesn't have a power outlet (yet!). If you use Ultraseal its adviseable to check tyre pressure with the valve anywhere except at the bottom & to wait a minute for the stuff to drain down before putting the air line on the valve.....if you ignore this the Ultraseal will try to seal the valve!

The stuff to avoid at all costs unless its an emergency & no alternative is available are the aerosols that fix the puncture & inflate the tyre. If you use them you can't vulcanize a patch to repair the tyre afterwards.

I used to use a product similar to that back in the 80's on all my bikes, it also ballanced the tires as you were riding. ( I can't recall the name of the product, but it sounds similar to what you have just describbed here) .
I don't know if Ulta-Seal is availible up here in Canada, I have seen "SLIME" up here at our local Canadian Tire store, but I think that I'll check with my local motorcycle dealer to see what they recomend for bike tires.
Thanks for the info Will, you guys have sure given me lots of food for thought on this subject.
Cheers, Speedy

In the early 90s I tried that slime puncture preventative, and while I don't recall having a puncture with it, front wheel bounce was a problem at "higher" speeds. Maybe at the much slower speeds I travel at now it would be OK. Interesting that it can be washed away.

GrahamNZ wrote:
In the early 90s I tried that slime puncture preventative, and while I don't recall having a puncture with it, front wheel bounce was a problem at "higher" speeds. Maybe at the much slower speeds I travel at now it would be OK. Interesting that it can be washed away.

+1, And they can goop up air valves making it hard to deflate a tire, I prefer the compressor and plug kit.

Again, I've been over 120 mph many (well, maybe multiple rather than "many") times with Slime in one or both tires on 3 different Guzzis, never been able to tell the difference with or without. Like I said, I do have the wheels with new tires spin balanced BEFORE I put in the Slime. The compressed air used to fill the tire generally clears out the valve post Slime installation. As Will said, when checking/filling afterwards, never have the valve at the bottom, much better around 2/10 O'clock. On occaision a bit of the goop has gotten in to the valve core/stem & prevented a good seal, & required some compressed air to blow it out. The cheap compressors that work off a car cigarette lighter have always been sufficient. Maybe 2-3 times over the 20+ years I have been using the stuff I've had to pull the valve core, slowly, let all the air out, run an opened paper clip & a bit of air through there, that's it, just replace the valve core & inflate, always works. The problem with waiting to get a flat-is, well, you get the flat. And that can be dangerous, even very dangerous, depending upon the circumstance. Never ever had a problem deflating the tire. Maybe if you incorrectly do so with the valve at the bottom. You should always have at least one of the valve caps with the built in valve core puller, anyway. A quick calc gets, oh, maybe 50-100 tires I've used this stuff in over the years.

Well I decided to check in my local bike dealer in Fort Mac and spoke with a very knowledgeable chap who has been in the business for many years and I always trust his advice as he has yet to steer me wrong.

He does not recommend using any type of liquid sealant in any motorcycle tire, reason being. This liquid sealant, over a period of time, will react with the metal alloys of the wheel rim. It will cause corrosion to form on the inside of the rim. He has had to replace customer's rims because of this problem ( not a cheap thing). Also many of the tires he has replaced over the years that did have these types of sealants installed, it was very difficult to get the stuff off the rim and tire. Now I can't say how this would affect a tube type tire, I never thought to ask.

He did say that in a pinch, go ahead and use the sealant in a can "tire fix" but really limit you speed and have the tire repaired or preferably , replaced as soon as possible.

Hi thoughts on using tire plugs, same advice as using puncture sealants, use it if you have to, limit your speeds and get it repaired or replaced asap.

Good advice, especially at some of the speeds I tend to cruise at.:blush:

Anybody had any negative issues using tire plugs or sealants as mentioned here?

Between you and me, I did purchase as small 12 vdc air pump and a tire plug kit.B)

In-tyre sealants are not for me for the reasons given and because of other issues, including affecting balance at "higher" speeds.

If I need to use an external plug I have the tyre removed and an internal Quill type fitted ASAP. If the tyre is more than half worn or the plug is near a sidewall I'll opt for a new tyre. A few times I've had to ride a fair way using an external plug, without a problem, but then limited speed to no more than 120kph.

The Stop n Go system is the one which impresses me most but so far haven't got around to buying a kit. If I lived in North America I'd have bought one long ago.

Bought a slime kit with small compressor and various electrical connectors in a handy
zip up case.
tossed the slime and put in some plug seals /tools.works like a charm for $60 aud

I have used the sticky shoelace system which Stop and Go now market. Excellent results every time. They have been sold in France for years under various names. I also bought a tiny electric compressor, but have never had to use it on my own bike yet.

Ialso used Ultraseal which works well as apreventative, and I found absolutely no issues with balance in the wheels either, unless you try to balance the wheel AFTER you put in the Ultraseal, which really doesn't work.
I did have a problem with a leak round the rim on my 20 year old SPIII which may have been the Ultraseal, but may have been starting to go long before. So I removed the tyre, cleaned the rim and sprayed with clear laquer. Tyre seals perfectly now.

Back