• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Flats . . .

John Warner

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Soooooooo.
Just over 28000 miles (9200-odd with me).
Is it the high ZDDP Oil I've been using, the Higher Oil Temps (Cooler covered in cold weather), or both?
Or maybe they've been replaced before?

FlatsI

Like I have said several times, don't believe everything you read, especially from certain individuals.

Could perhaps be the higher oil temps, or the ZDDP oil, or just the fact that you got a good set of tappets. What do the cams look like?

Not all bikes are the same. I have seen bikes with 60000 km on them, knocking like a bag of hammers in a dryer and still went on for another 5000km before changing out for rollers (although I would not recommend that)

If that were my bike, I would check the other side to see if there is any damage. If it looks the same or even a little wear, I would button it up and keep riding. At some point you will have to convert (maybe), but for now, I would just ride the hell out of it and keep doing what you are doing. If you want to buy an A Kit and put it on the shelf for future use then do it since at some point they will no longer be available. Worse case, you sell the kit.

As far as DLC damage to the bike, only one or two reported cases that I have ever heard of and frankly it was pure speculation as to what caused the damage.

Just my 2 cents....in that kind of mood today....:D

Already have a Kit, bought it from Agostinis when I was over there last Sep.
Cams look fine, no marking at all.

There must be some factor(s) that prolongs the life of the Tappets, there's too much variety in failure mileages for it to be just random 'luck' so-to-speak.
Tempted to keep running them for now, as it's so quick and easy to check them . . .

It will take you almost the same amount of time to put in the rollers as putting back the flats, especially since you should inspect the other side also. All that is left to do is remove the rockers and install them on the new assembly. That assumes it is an A kit (don't remember what year bike you have). C Kit will be more involved.

Since you already have it out and have the kit might as well go ahead and change it. You will eventually need to do it. It is not like you are going to wear out the rollers any quicker. They are a better design.

John, who told you A kit. B Kit maybe, but even that is rare on an 09. That would be the first 09 (NA or Europe) that I heard of with an A kit????

Are you sure.........

Last edited:
Do you have a floating or not floating head cover?? Bascially, do you have a gasket for the sparkplug tube on the valve cover or a tube.

Upload 2017 3 8 13 21 20

Mine has the Tube, O-Ring in the Bore of the Cover.
Has the drilling marks on the Heads next to the Date Casting.
Could be a 'B' Kit . . .
What's the difference?
The Drilling means it doesn't need the Valve Spring Shims ('C' Kit?).

RockerKit

I've fitted the R/H Kit already, all went together OK.

As long as it is a non-floating cover and has the drill mark on the heads the B kit is correct. You lucked out on that one. No shim needed which is rare for an 09 Stelvio.

The cam box casting is different between an A and a B kit. The A kit is to accommodate the floating valve cover with the gasket and the B kit is to accommodate the plug tube. Not sure if the cam profile is a little different also.

Looks to be a B kit from the picture. Should have a PN of 1A002063.

Upload 2017 3 8 15 16 42

Back