• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Fram PH6022 oil filter

Kurt Fischer

Rust never sleeps.
GT Contributor
The Fram application guide shows oil filter PH6022 for the Griso. Anyone using it? Any reason not to use it?

Thanks,

Kurt

Well, it'll fit. Problem is that FRAM filters have have a horrible cheap, glued element construction and poor bypass crack pressure control. That's why they are CHEAP, (And nasty!). If for some reason you don't want to simply plan ahead an buy the UFI filter from your usual supplier of choice, (Moto International, MPH, Harpers, Guzzi Classics, MG Cycle etc, etc.) at virtually the same cost as a crappy Fram you'll find a host of other filters listed on the various Guzzi web-sites. I don't know them because I can't be arsed. A UFI costs my customers $22AU and I make a profit on that. It's the filter suggested by the factory and they are good quality and lets face it, an oil filter is rarely the sort of thing you have to replace in an emergency, side-of-the-road type operation. Why fuck about? You change it once every 10,000Km/6,000 miles. By using a cheap alternative you save what? $5.00 over 12000 miles! Brilliant! If you need to save the price of one and a bit beers over 12000 miles you need a Honda CT 110, not a Griso!!! :D

Pete

I keep a cut apart Fram oil filter for a Guzzi sitting around to remind me why I don't use Fram oil filters in any of my motor vehicles. I prefer filters that aren't made from cardboard. Google Fram oil filters and you will see what I mean.
Some companies spend more money on marketing then they do on manufacturing. Marketing does not clean your oil or keep your motor from becoming a giant paper weight as some bikes running Fram filters have become.
But in the end you need to do your own research and decide for yourself.

OK so I got three UFI filters and a case of AGIP 4T 10w60 and changed the oil & filter today on the Griso, and now I feel much better. All I need now is an AGIP sticker for the bike.

How often do you all change oil and filter?

Thanks.

whynot said:
The Fram application guide shows oil filter PH6022 for the Griso. Anyone using it? Any reason not to use it?

Thanks,

Kurt

NO,No, No ! Fram oil filters are garbage !

Uhm, yes, we already covered that: Fram = garbage, whereas UFI = all that is good and wonderful in the world.

So, I was just like wondering, how often people here on guzzitech change their engine oil, for example, do you change it, like, on average, every 3000 miles? Or, like, what?

Thanks.

I change between 2-3K and yes I am anal about oil, not telling anyone one else what to do. The UFI filters are not the be all to end all. They did have a problem with sealing at one time, they have been redesigned and the new version does not have that problem. That said another alternative is the Hi Flow filters sold by MI and MG and there is a NAPA and Mobil 1 alternative as well if price is your concern then by all means go with the Fram. The old commercial saying is pay me now or pay me a lot more later. The voice of having 2 motors a 6 cylinder Ford and Chrysler go belly because of F R A M oil filter failures. Sorry for the rehashing.

For a while, I had difficulty finding a 10-60 synth so used Mobil 1 20-50 and changed every 2 -2500 miles. Now used the spec oil and let it go to 3000 or so.
No science behind this... just habit

Before I retired I worked where the headquarters for the DoD oil analysis program is located. I know many of the technical people in this program. Most oil is changed way before it is necessary of even prudent. I've given them samples from my bikes when I changed oil at the manufactures interval. Their response always was "Why did you change it?" BTW, since the program inception the DoD has saved millions on lubricant changes, and been able to detect impending failures of components saving more dollars and potentially saving lives e.g. helicoper gear boxes.

Since I don't feel like taking oil samples all the time, I only change oils and filters at the manufactures recommended interval. To change more frequently is just a waste of oil and money.

Thanks everyone for sharing your views and practices. Good info. I did notice that MG Cycle sells both UFI and Hi-Flo oil filters, not much difference in price. I used Hi-Flo filters in my Ducatis (907ie, S4R), as recommended and supplied by Desmotimes.

If you are looking for a filter that's easy on easy off, K&N # KN171
this filter fits pretty much all standard Harley-Davidson. With the abundance of Harleys, should be easy to get.

Thanks, I've been looking for a K&N. The K&N web site shows the KN171 for Harley, but no application for MG. Does it look any different from the UFI? Like is the sealing surface gasket a different width (the FRAM is a lot narrower than the UFI).

whynot said:
Uhm, yes, we already covered that: Fram = garbage, whereas UFI = all that is good and wonderful in the world.
Don't know about UFI but I have read horror stories with Fram filters fitted on Subarus...

Back