• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Fried ECU Sport 1200 8V

stinga

Tuned and Synch'ed
G'day,
Took my bike for a ride about a month ago to Perth and during the ride it rained for about 1.5hrs and was dry for the rest of the trip back to Merredin of 3.5hrs during which the bike ran great.
After about a week I gave the bike a wash because we had came across some road works during the last ride and the bike was cover in road grime and gravel mud. When I wash me bike I cover the ignition switch with masking tape and never use a pressure washer only tap pressure and elbow grease. Also I try to avoid getting to much water on the dash and the ECU plugs. Bike was put in the shed and over here its summer time and the temp in Merredin is usually around the mid 30s to the mid 40s Celcuis.
After about another week I had another trip back to Perth, so the bike was packed up with the panniers and off I went with the temp showing 41 on the dash. After about 30ks I stopped on the edge of the road under some shade to check that the new Zard muffler wasn't causing any problems to the panniers. During this lil stop I left the donk running and after all seemed ok so I jumped back on and took off again but only got about 25 meters under acceleration when the donk just shut down so coasted to some more shade. :evil:
The dash was showing the death red triangle and an icon showing that the ECU was unplugged, even the neural light wasn't glowing even though it was in neutral. Pulled seat and checked the all the fuses and the battery connections, even disconnected and reconnected the battery but sill same dash reading. Rang Mario the guru from Thunderbikes over here and we went through a few extra things but sill no good. There was a couple of error code, 5 and 8 I think, but Mario said they wouldn't be a problem so I cleared the memory log and tried again but sill no go. :cry:
So it was now a rescue mission and a trailer ride for the Sporty to Perth, this is the first time for me in 20 years of riding Harley's and jappers. :roll:
Just want to know how many other 1200 Sport, Norge and Breva riders have had the same problem and weather this is a regular occurrence and what the did to prevent this happening again, I am looking at getting an umbrella so I can deploy it while riding in the rain and washing the thing. :roll: B).
All jokes aside this is pretty disappointing for a vehicle that's is suppose to be ridden in all types of weather. :evil:

I only know of one Griso that had this happen, but the Griso ECU is in a more exposed location. Did you discover corrosion on the ECU connectors, including the external ground wire? I believe the ECU frying is caused by loss of a good ground connection, but this is only a theory on my part.

I have had this happen on my Sport I think your ecu is ok its just a bad earth from the ecu.
Instead of trying to get to the original earth point on the ecu I just loosened the mounting point bolt and put a spade
between the bolt and ecu then I took it back to the negative on the battery, I also soldered the spades to the earth wire.
All was good after that.
Ray.

Thanks for the reply and I think you both might be onto something with regards to the poor earthing. I brought the bike as a NOS back in May of 2013 with 230ks, and warranty is the reason I took it back to the shop, on the clock since then I have done 14000ks of trouble free riding with the help of Todd's O2 optimizer.
I have always disliked that blue earth wire on the right side and when I checked up on the bike the other day that wire and the loom on the left side looked to have been recovered with insulation tape, so maybe they added an extra and better earth strap.
Didn't push the issue with Mario because on the day he was going through a family trauma and any way got the ol black 97 1100 Sport and Harley to play around with. B)

Thanks

Steve

ps every time I add a post or reply to a post after typing I have to high light the text the select copy first because some times it can take up to 3 goes before it takes have ya got any ideas on that :evil:

G,day all,

Well picked up the bike 4 weeks ago,13/2/14, and have done another 2000ks and its running fine :D but about the only problem is it pulls a lot harder at about 9/10th of throttle than at WOT. So I am assuming that they installed the new ECU without setting it up properly.
Was told not to wash it so much because Moto Guzzi might not come good if it suffers the same problem, FFS what a load of shite its not my fault that they cant build an all weather product. If it happens again one of Todd's ECU's will be goin in it sooner than first planned :lol:

Once again thanx to all who read and replied.

Steve

One of the problems is that the multi plugs always seem to be plugged in dry. In time you can get corrosion, especially if the temperature is high, and also humidity.
Spray the pins with a good electrical contact lubricant and plug in, that way you keep the moisture out. Do the same with every other connector you can find on the bike, and all the switch gear.
I even spray it down the ignition switch. In the UK I use a product called Servisol, but I don't know what is available in your part of the world.

Back