• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Front caliper pistons not retracting !!!

guzzijimbo

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
Can any one through some light in to this dark corner: A 10 year old B11 that's done 50,000 kl, I noticed some resistance when I pushed it across the shed floor, with front wheel off the ground I found the pads were handing on to the discs, after some on bike testing I removed the calipers and pressurized them with air to find that they were doing the same thing with no possible influence from the master cylinder or lines. Both performing similarly.

I dismantled inspected, cleaned, lubricated and remantled, (if that's a word) the result was a slight improvement but still a long way from right. The discs are approx. 5mm I inserted a 7mm disc to prove that (not apparent) pad ware had not put the pistons in an awkward position, same result.

It's all new to me but the only explanation I can see is that the seals have swollen with age?? and are inhibiting the retraction of the pistons. Am I missing some thing !!???

Since you have done all the appropriate things (cleaning etc) have you ridden it at all ?....do the discs get overly warm over a short distance( 2miles) ?

They never move very far from the discs because of the very small piston movement at the lever end.

I had trouble with my Breva 1100 front brakes a while ago, it turned out to be a tiny spring in the dust boot on the brake lever. The rubber boot had perished and part of the spring had somehow got behind the piston and was causing it not to fully return (I'm talking 0.5mm) and therefore keeping the brake on, albeit lightly. After a short ride, brakes got hot the fluid couldn't return and the brakes went on harder until it almost locked up the front. I couldn't get just the boot and instead put a small washer to stop the spring riding over the circlip.

"I dismantled inspected, cleaned, lubricated and remantled,"
Re assembled would be the term.
Anyway, did you replace the piston seal? If not, do so.
I have never had a calliper still seize once it has been properly cleaned and the piston seal replaced.
What actually happens is the seal is sitting on a small ridge in the calliper and when the piston slides out, it deflects the seal ever so slightly.
When the pressure is released, the seal returns to centre and brings the piston (and pad) off the rotor.
Because this is a very small movement, it's critical the seal is good and the seat is clean...clean...clean.
Also, you can clean the inside of the calliper cylinder (gently) with 0000 steel wool to make sure the bore is smooth.

I'm with Kevin on this one. Caliper problems are usually the master cylinder. When they are tight against the rotor, do they detract if you open a bleeder? If so the issue is at the master cylinder.

"I dismantled inspected, cleaned, lubricated and remantled,"
Re assembled would be the term.

Well, I kinda like "remantle." Then, again, I did just write "kinda." ;)

Seriously, I think the OP was kidding comma but ...

See https://www.google.com/#q=remantled, which would seem to indicate some support for the commonsensical construction. :happy:

On the merits, really appreciate your comments and the others', as I get what clues I have about wrenching from such threads.

Bill

Nice work Bill, I like that !!!
I've restored many a caliper, usually from a poor state, this one looks like new inside, all the evidence points towards the seals being the culprit, it can't be the master cylinder as I get the same result on the bench. I've been reticent to buy new seals to date as they are bloody expensive for what they are and too often, (once is too often) over the years I've replaced the wrong part.

As Keith points out there is little room for error, and 10 years on... while they look perfect they may well be off their game.

By the way if you can dismantle why cant you mantle?

I am also having probs with front caliper seizing - all down to crud sticking the pistions. i got the bike just over a year ago and whilst i checked the pads i have not had the caliper off. just noticed that there are no seals on the piston external of the caliper - Brian Uk raised that. probably when piston has jammed up.

i need to get new seals but i dont know the caliper model - the seals are pretty expensive for what they are so i dont want to order up wrong ones

I am also having probs with front caliper seizing - all down to crud sticking the pistions. i got the bike just over a year ago and whilst i checked the pads i have not had the caliper off. just noticed that there are no seals on the piston external of the caliper - Brian Uk raised that. probably when piston has jammed up.

i need to get new seals but i dont know the caliper model - the seals are pretty expensive for what they are so i dont want to order up wrong ones

Jim,

If the resource section does not have the parts manual for you bike, Check Leo Tamer's site http://www.tlm.nl/en/parts/new-parts/partsmanuals/

Got the seals ordered, now cant get the bloody torx bolts out so that i can split the caliper. Is there a trick to this or just plenty of loose oil and a bit of bashing ?

Nice work Bill, I like that !!!
I've restored many a caliper, usually from a poor state, this one looks like new inside, all the evidence points towards the seals being the culprit, it can't be the master cylinder as I get the same result on the bench. I've been reticent to buy new seals to date as they are bloody expensive for what they are and too often, (once is too often) over the years I've replaced the wrong part.

As Keith points out there is little room for error, and 10 years on... while they look perfect they may well be off their game.

By the way if you can dismantle why cant you mantle?
My apologies if I pointed out the obvious but your OP did say "new to me" but then you say you have restored many callipers.
Anyway, if one goes to the trouble of taking a calliper off the bike then dismantle it, might as well replace the seals.
Then..er..remantle them and place them on your mantle to lift the mantle of responsibility off your shoulders :rofl:

Got the seals ordered, now cant get the bloody torx bolts out so that i can split the caliper. Is there a trick to this or just plenty of loose oil and a bit of bashing ?

Use a 50/50 mix of automatic transmission fluid and acetone as a penetrating oil. Last resort a little heat. Do be advised there is an o-ring between the two halves that should be replaced. Hopefully it is in the rebuild kit for the caliper.

For your information:

April 2007 "Machinist's Workshop" magazine comparison test wrote:
They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrates with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

Penetrating oil ...... Average load ..... Price per fluid ounce
None .................... 516 pounds
WD-40 .................. 238 pounds ...... $0.25
PB Blaster .............. 214 pounds ...... $0.35
Liquid Wrench ......... 127 pounds ...... $0.21
Kano Kroil ............... 106 pounds ...... $0.75
ATF-Acetone mix ....... 53 pounds ...... $0.10 (50/50 mix)

The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone.

Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this one particular test.

Thanks Brian, I was a bit worried about your sense of humor but I see I have no need for concern!!

The "new to me " comment relates to the fact that I've had success with the procedure described above on many an occasion and was perplexed and looking for something that I missed. There are no other suspects so new seals it is.

Thanks for your thoughts men. And Jim, follow John's advice, the home brew is a winner and go easy with the heat, nice hot water can't get you in to too much hot water.

Right, got the new seals fitted, but now cant get the front to bleed at all. Trying usual method, pumping levere, hold ,turn bleed screw, release air, tighten - but not gettng anything through, fluid remians in the reservoir.

Will try reverse bleeding tomorrow, told cold to do anymore todqy

Is the ABS anything to do with it,?

Get a 60 mil syringe and some tubing and inject brake fluid from the calliper bleed port up stream into the lines.
Make sure the master reservoir cover is loose and do it SLOWLY to avoid spraying brake fluid out the top.
I tried this on my last calliper re- build (re mantle?) and won't do it any other way from now on.
NOTE: this was not an ABS brake system.

Wow Big thanks Keith. I use "Ed's Red" for cleaning a lot and it is great.

25% ATF + 25% Acetone + 25% Kerosene + 25% Mineral Spirits

Now I don't have to screw around purchasing WD40 and all I have to do is make up a pint.

Back