• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Front rotor or wheel problem

LArider

Just got it firing!
Hello folks, this is my first post about my new-to-me '13 V7 Special. I bought this bike used and had it freighted to its new home across country.

When I first rode the bike I noticed that while braking at low speeds the front brake would roll free then grab the rotor. It makes me think that either the rotor is dented or warped or the wheels need to be trued. I can see how this might happen with the bike perhaps ratcheted down too much for too many miles.

Has anyone had similar symptoms and how did you address them? I can't visibly see any dent or warping on the rotor, nor on the wheel. Should I go ahead and order a new rotor? I'm open to suggestions, thanks.

Since you are in LA, I suggest you have Todd look at it. It may be just as simple as bleeding the front brake. Contact Todd via e-mail Todd<at>guzzitech.com He is close by for you.

I had the same issue on my Stelvio. Assuming you also have floating discs and they are not warped, it could be that the expansion buttons are seized up. Do a search and you will find a method of cleaning them. You can also take a rubber mallet and gently hit the disc all the way around to loosen up the buttons. The rotor should move slightly when you do this.

Failing that, what finally fixed my issue was replacing the pads. The rotors were perfectly straight and my buttons were free so scratched my head for a bit to figure out the problem. I cleaned the pads and the problem decreased. Replaced the pads and problem went away. They had 40K KM on them but still looked fine. Who knows....but it worked. May have had some contamination that I could not clean out.

Last edited:
Same issue on a Norge at 9000 miles - had to replace the discs in the end. A known problem on the Norge but I have not heard of this on a V7.
Can you find out if the bike had the problem before it was freighted? (may be difficult I realise). If it was OK before freighting maybe the rotor got bent. Check the run out of the rotor with a dial gauge mounted on the fork leg.

AndyB

Same issue on a Norge at 9000 miles - had to replace the discs in the end. A known problem on the Norge but I have not heard of this on a V7.
Can you find out if the bike had the problem before it was freighted? (may be difficult I realise). If it was OK before freighting maybe the rotor got bent. Check the run out of the rotor with a dial gauge mounted on the fork leg.

AndyB

Difficult to check run-out on floating rotors.

Still worth checking run out - if one position on the rotor is consistently high or low (even after rattling it) it shows there is a problem. Can be seized bobbins as others have said - or on the Norge I think the fault could be non uniform frictional properties around the rotor.
AndyB

Guys, the bike is new to him, and was transported by a "handler." My bet is the rotor is bent.

Before you spend money on new rotors get some brake cleaner and scrub down the pads and rotors with some green scratch pads. Mine looked like it was the rotors but after cleaning the pads and rotor (and then eventually new pads) the problem went away. You may just have contamination on the rotors or pads. Won't cost you much and worth a try especially because it only happens at slow speeds. Mine only did it at less than 5 mph....everything above that was perfectly normal.

If the rotor is bent it should show up if you measure.
It could be bent from being shipped.
Pad contamination or pad deposits on the rotor could cause pulsing.
I would measure the rotor for run-out first. After that, if it measure straight, I would clean the rotor and pads as canuck said, and maybe replace the pads if they seem at all odd or worn.

thanks for all the help and welcoming me to the the Guzzi fraternity by sharing your knowledge. Rotor was slightly bent and will be replaced over the weekend. I've been refraining my riding it which has been painful. I look forward to riding and learning more about the bike as I go. This forum has proven to be a valuable resource already.

Back