• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Fuel filter PSA

NJNorge

Just got it firing!
GT di Razza Pura
A few months back, I bought one of Todd's metal fuel filter conversion kits for my '15 Norge...finally got around to pulling the tank off today. Feeling good about the job...PITA draining the tank with my siphon, but got that done. No trouble with the "quick disconnect" fuel coupler...things going well. Pulled the pump assembly out to find that...the factory filter in my bike is an all-metal Mahle unit!

I bought it new, so no chance that it was done by a previous owner, and the only time it's been worked on by anyone other than me was for its first service. I double checked, and there was no documentation on the repair order that the filter was replaced. I guess at some point, our friends in Mandello Del Lario came to their senses and started installing a more suitable filter in the Norge...not sure about the rest of the line.

Hopefully, this saves someone from pulling everything apart unnecessarily!

BTW...I have a metal filter conversion kit available! If someone out there can use it, I'm happy to send it to you...just pay for the shipping.

Same story here. 2013 Norge. The original owner, who bought it new in 2015 from GP Motorcycles, informed me that the fuel filter switch needed to be done. I opened it up and found the Mahle 145 all metal filter.

since I have the tank off the bike right now can you tilt it forward and look in there and see the pump/filter?

N8V 2013 Fuel Filter suspected problem. Returning from a nice ride through Skyline Drive, Blue Ridge then over to Ohio's Triple Nickel I started noticing a hesitation at constant rpm. At first it was difficult to distinguish from the rough surfaced roads but now I'm sure. Not apparent in acceleration. It is a rather constant cycling hesitation the run smooth. Was not apparent at the start of the ride. So my thought is the fuel filter. Reading through this thread makes me wonder. 1). does my 2013 in fact have the metal/plastic filter. ... will have to find a cheap scope to check. 2). Can metal filters become blocked or partly restricted? if in fact mine does have an all metal one. 3) In changing out the filter do I need anything other than the clamps that Todd includes with his filter kit? I've seem mention of changing the piping. finally 4). the tank gasket... at $73 is the most expensive part of the operation. has anyone reused them?

1. You don't know until you look.
2.They can get dirty but highly unlikely to be your problem.
3/4. That's all you need. Reuse the gasket. Don't over tighten the mounting bolts. Firmly snug is all you need.

If the filter has popped, you should be able to see the fuel swirling when you look in the tank with the bike running.
What RPM are you cruising at? You should stay between 4 to 5,000 RPM. At low RPM you will get a surging feeling with the stock/lean fueling.
Personally I don't think you have a fuel filter problem. There would be much bigger issues.

To re-use the gasket clean with Loctite cleaner. Then apply Loctite 518. I've tried to re-use gaskets without doing this and it doesn't always work without using the 518 product. A very small amount on both sides is all you need. I like to do a task only once.

1. You don't know until you look.
2.They can get dirty but highly unlikely to be your problem.
3/4. That's all you need. Reuse the gasket. Don't over tighten the mounting bolts. Firmly snug is all you need.

If the filter has popped, you should be able to see the fuel swirling when you look in the tank with the bike running.
What RPM are you cruising at? You should stay between 4 to 5,000 RPM. At low RPM you will get a surging feeling with the stock/lean fueling.
Personally I don't think you have a fuel filter problem. There would be much bigger issues.
yes at lower RPMs is it noticeable, from 2K to 4K. not under acceleration. I cruse at about 4 K though on the country roads about 3.5K. perhaps I should not be running to top gear. I'm not sure surging is that much better description but maybe it is a throttle issue. I'm still waiting to get the bike in for a TPS reset so my tune up is not really complete. As I've commented before I have the mechanical work completed, air filter, plugs, valves, throttles balanced but I have not way (yet) to reset the TPS.

Back