• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Fuel Leak

bronco_breva

Tuned and Synch'ed
I am getting a fuel leak from the drain pipe on the right hand side behind the gearbox. Its only a couple of drips but it happens every time i park up. This pipe splits into 2 under the seat, I presume one goes to the drain hole by the fuel cap, Where does the other go?? Any ideas. The drip happens even when the tanks not full.

Bronco

I don't know how the tubing is routed in the UK as you don't have the charcoal canister to contend with like we do in the US. I am going to assume there is an anti tip over valve in the fuel venting system over there. It's either facked up, not mounted in a vertical position or there is a kinked hose somewhere. When did this start to occur, after the tank was remounted for any service ? Did it do it when brand new ? If so Luigi has been known the fit the anti tip over valve backwards. It is basically a one way valve that will allow air into the tank to replace the volume left by the fuel as it is being used with air but will not let fuel run out through the vent tube in the event of a tip over. Do you get a vacuum rush when opening the fuel cap ? That would be a dead giveaway something is amiss in that system.

Left tube is from the fuel cap well. Right is the fuel tank breather. This one can be trapped beween the tank and airbox top if not routed properly.

Graham

I lifted the tank today no sign of trapping, fiddled about a bit, disconected and reconnected the pipes - nothing blocked, replaced the tank making sure the pipes where to the side of the air box and all's well, no more drips. (the wife says "except the one in the saddle")

Many thanks for your help.

Bronco.

Re: Re:Fuel Leak

bronco_breva said:
I lifted the tank today no sign of trapping, fiddled about a bit, disconected and reconnected the pipes - nothing blocked, replaced the tank making sure the pipes where to the side of the air box and all's well, no more drips. (the wife says "except the one in the saddle")

Many thanks for your help.

Bronco.

Hi Bronco,

have the same problem now on my bike, parked in the direct sun. Was there anything more exact discovered on the problem? Or did you really just fiddled about and re-connected pipes and the prob was gone for good?
Thanks!
Alex

bronco_breva said:
have the same problem now on my bike, parked in the direct sun. Was there anything more exact discovered on the problem? Or did you really just fiddled about and re-connected pipes and the prob was gone for good?
Thanks!
Alex

Sorry Alex, no secrets, all I did was fiddle around a bit. I can only presume the pipe was trapped, there's not a lot of room under there and as you lower the tank you can't see the pipe's final resting place.

Bronco-Breva

thanks
i did not think of secrets. It is just strange that fuel drops because of knicked pipe and stops dropping if you free it up :D

i am now very curious what happens inside the tank, before both overfill pipes come our underneath. And is there anything inside of the 3-way joint?

And who invented that nice looking plastic rings on the openings of the frame tube on both sides of the 12s. And the 2 bolts which penetrate into this tube, holding me from using it as a mount for support to keep bike vertical for service.

Alex,

The only explenation I can think of is; If the overflow pipe is traped and you over fill the tank, rather than the petrol running out it stays in the pipe to leak out slowly later. Also once you get off the bike and park it,it may reduce the pressure off the pipe as your not sitting on the seat which in turn pushes down on the tank.

Bronco-Breva.

Back