• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Fuel level sensor showing full? Ever?

GrahamNZ

High Miler
A lot has been posted about the way the sensor often fails to tell the gauge that the tank is full. Has anyone here ever seen the gauge read full when the tank is absolutely full?

Mine has never shown absolutely full even after the bike has been refuelled while on the centrestand and the tank has been filled to overflowing. Yes, it does take a few km for the sensor to do its best, but even then, never shows 100% full.

I must just have a good one as it always shows 10/10ths full after filling up the tank, just takes a bit of thinking time to get there.

Indeed I have never had any issues with the guage - it works as advertised. Interstingly it cannot have anything to do with the dash as I am on my second one and the guage behaves exactly the same as with teh old dash, so any discrepencies can be definitely sheeted home to the sender unit in the tank.

Mine's the same - after I fill the tank it starts showing about 7/8 and takes about 5-10 minutes to reach full but it gets there.

Rob

Ditto here. It's just another quirk, I can easily have a 1/8 tank difference between arriving and starting the next morning and then again with the reading a couple of minutes into the ride. Sometimes it even claims I'm putting fuel back into the tank, going down a mountain braking on the engine :silly:

bobra wrote:
Mine's the same - after I fill the tank it starts showing about 7/8 and takes about 5-10 minutes to reach full but it gets there.

Rob

Mine also follows the pattern above.

Mine did that dance--then I got it fixed under warranty--and now it stays at 7/8ths as its maximum. WTF, Guzzi?

Mine takes the 5 minutes to reach full.

I did 368 kays on it last weekend, the low fuel light came on at about 330 kays, the needle just above empty, and the needle was just below when I filled up. Took 19.5l on the centre stand (18.87km/l). I don't know how much of the 3.5l left is useable - or even there.

Thanks for the feedback and link regarding the recall.

My sender tells the gauge that 7/8 and maybe occasionally 15/16 is as full as it'll admit to, and it takes about 5 to 7 km before it wakes up from about 3/4. Quite indicative at the bottom end which is where it matters I guess. Live with it, Graham!

loftyjohn wrote:
Hi Gang
[file name=011_2008_Motoguzzi_fuelsensor-20090810.pdf size=336570]https://www.guzzitech.com/images/fbfiles/files/011_2008_Motoguzzi_fuelsensor-20090810.pdf[/file]

It's a Known recall
This is not a recall, but clarification that the sensor must be replaced separately, not as a part of the fuel pump assembly.

Mine used to all way up after some time, but recently it tends to stay at 7/8.

I had my gauge and sensors replaced under warranty and all worked fine for a while. Then it started to not show full again. Ever.

Well, I thought nothing of it until I topped up my oil. Now it goes to full again. Does this make sense to anyone?

Robert

If it read the fuel constantly, then the gauge would change continuously, as the fuel in the tank sloshes around. Even so, I've observed my tank to get empty enough to see the low fuel light come on as well as indicating empty, and later to be reading nearly quarter full.

Not that inspiring when I don't know when the next gas station is.

I think mine stops at 90% right after filling her up and then quite quickly (1Km maybe?) climbs up to 100%.

Hi,
My fuel gauge sticks for the first few miles after a fillup, then jumps to 100% in a couple of steps. If I park using the side stand and have a partial tank, the gauge shows goofy indications for a mile or so, then "unsticks" and returns to the value before being parked. Been that way since new. I'm used to it by now.
24,000 miles and three years old
Warren Y

kiwi dave wrote:
I've observed my tank to get empty enough to see the low fuel light come on as well as indicating empty, and later to be reading nearly quarter full.

Not that inspiring when I don't know when the next gas station is.

So Dave, that's why on our Colorado trip out here in the wide open US West I was always looking for gas by 200 miles or so, sometimes a bit earlier depending on where we were, no matter what the guage said. Plus, despite what your GPS says about gas stations, sometimes they are defunct or closed or out of electricity or whatever. Just the way it is. No reason to risk running out of gas when all you gotta do is be just a bit proactive. 200 miles between stops for gas is plenty enough for me.

Back