• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Fuel system issues

Swordteacher

Just got it firing!
So I finally got a chance to buy the Bike of my dreams a 2012 Griso with just 2800 miles on it. Got it from a guy who picked it up because he likes Guzzis and it was a one owner bike whom he new the guy who bought and sold it. He checked it over, rode it a bit, put a new rear tire on it, changed the oil and installed a battery tender.

It was super clean, started right up and ran great. I flew to Miami and picked it up to ride it home. I rode north for a while in the rain, (couple of hundred miles) found a hotel and then rode 400 miles the next day in the clear and the heat. Was running along fine when it appeared to run out of gas. I managed to get up an on-ramp and it died not to be restarted.

I managed to get my wife to bring the Van the remaining 300 miles and we got it home. I spent the 5 hours waiting scouring the forums to determine possible problems.

I started at the fuel system expecting to find a bad filter, but it turns out someone had already done the in-tank repair. I did however find something. Inside the tank was a bunch of what I would assume is corrosion on the aluminum plate that the fuel pump is mounted to. I also found a large amount of grit of some type in the gas. I cleaned everything, ordered and put in a new filter, checked the pump, and blew the filter out to see if any particles had made it through the system. It looked as though something had as the exit port of the filter yielded some small particles. I pulled the injectors, and the left side injector broke.

I looked around and found a pair of IWP-189 injectors for the Griso, which it turns out are not the injectors that were originally in it, they were six hole and these are 12. I assumed that the new injectors would work though I might need to do some adjustment. I tried starting but the engine quickly hydrolocked. I took out the spark plugs and turned it over to remove any gas and it appears that the cylinder that was hydrolocking is still pushing fuel through the injector even though there is no spark. The other cylinder seems to be normal.

As far as I know, the engine is stock, and one that has the roller cams from the factory after they changed. I need to do the dash sealing, I saw some condensation in the dash after the ride in the rain.

Does anyone have experience with the corrosion. I am assuming it came from having water in the tank. Also am I looking at a bad injector fresh from the factory? I am drying it out and getting ready to try a start again tomorrow.

I only have about 600 miles on this bike but I love it as much as I though I would. Please help me get it running again.

Start by putting in the correct injectors. The ones with 12 ports will flow more fuel that the original 6 ports. I would also flush all the fuel lines before connecting the new injectors to make sure you remove all grit. As to the not spark on one side, download teh schematic for the bike and make sure that coil has power and is getting the trigger signal (loss of ground).

I was unaware that the six port injectors WAS the original setup. So many things have been fixed on this bike in its poor 2800 miles. Can you give me the number for the correct injectors? Like I said these were listed as the correct injectors for he model and year. Will be checking to see if there is a grounding issue or if the injector is firing even when the spark isn't detected.
Thanks a bunch!

I was unaware that the six port injectors WAS the original setup. So many things have been fixed on this bike in its poor 2800 miles. Can you give me the number for the correct injectors? Like I said these were listed as the correct injectors for he model and year. Will be checking to see if there is a grounding issue or if the injector is firing even when the spark isn't detected.
Thanks a bunch!

Nor sure where you got the information on injectors. To be sure, just order from a Guzzi dealer to get the correct injector. The injector is part number 976555. Or better yet see if a dealer has one in stock and can tell you the number of ports.

Fuel system is back up, but that isn't the problem. :-(

So what is the problem? If you have a cylinder hydro lock, that means the injector pumped a bunch of fuel. Another possiblilty is the ECU is commanding the injector to stay open, which I haven't seen before.

One of the injectors I purchased leaked right out of the package. I tried with the old injector that was still good started right up on one cylinder. I checked the compression on the right side and got nothing-zip no compression? Took off the rocker cover and turned it over and found that the timing chain was moving but the cam shaft wasn't. I plan to pull the chain tensioner tomorrow and see what is up. I am hoping it is just a pin shearing that I can replace. I am wondering if trying to start it when it was hydrolocked caused the pin to shear?

One of the injectors I purchased leaked right out of the package. I tried with the old injector that was still good started right up on one cylinder. I checked the compression on the right side and got nothing-zip no compression? Took off the rocker cover and turned it over and found that the timing chain was moving but the cam shaft wasn't. I plan to pull the chain tensioner tomorrow and see what is up. I am hoping it is just a pin shearing that I can replace. I am wondering if trying to start it when it was hydrolocked caused the pin to shear?

Maybe, but I doubt it. The bad thing about these in head cams is there are many holes on the cam sprocket. Getting the correct one to the pin in the cam may be difficult. I've not read the procedure for timing the cam, but I'm sure it is no cake walk. This may be a procedure best performed by your Guzzi dealer.

Wish that I had a guzzi dealer, closest one is 8 hours away. If I can find the manuals, I can get it going with some help. There are only four holes and since I didn't see a bunch of pieces I expect to find a piece of pin in each side.

Wish that I had a guzzi dealer, closest one is 8 hours away. If I can find the manuals, I can get it going with some help. There are only four holes and since I didn't see a bunch of pieces I expect to find a piece of pin in each side.

Manuals are in the download section.

I found a manual, took off the breather cover and found that the gear had come off the cam bolt had been torqued off. I guess it had backed out enough to let the gear pin un-mate from the cam. The spinning of the gear eventually broke the bolt. Looks like a new cam as well since the gear Galled the crap out of it and the piece of the bolt is still firmly inside. Damn.

I found a manual, took off the breather cover and found that the gear had come off the cam bolt had been torqued off. I guess it had backed out enough to let the gear pin un-mate from the cam. The spinning of the gear eventually broke the bolt. Looks like a new cam as well since the gear Galled the crap out of it and the piece of the bolt is still firmly inside. Damn.

That repair is not going to be fun. It may be worth the excursion to a dealer.

According to the numbers, this bike came rollerized from the factory, but the numbers are low enough that I have to wonder if it had been built as a tappet bike and then it was changed at the factory. Luckily it is the right cam and I have made sure not to mess up the timing gear. I just can't afford the time to take the bike to Houston to the dealership. I would lose two to three days of work and all the miles and hotels and stuff. I am just going to have to fix it. So who knows where I can get parts? Harpers doesn't seem to carry anything for this bike.

Back