Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase these. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Fuel Tank Pimples

Discussion in 'Griso-Bella Chat & Tech' started by PJA0916, Dec 22, 2014.

1. PJA0916

PJA0916 Just got it firing! GT Famiglia

I have a 2013 Griso with the black and silver paint and sticker job. Maybe people with older Griso's may have had this problem. What can be best described as pimples are showing up in the silver paint. They can barely be felt on the paint surface if at all. It would be as if circular flush rivets were used to assemble a metal tank and the edges of the rivet started showing through the paint. They are all circular, are showing up in random places and are increasing in number. I would try to post a photo, but they are very difficult to see in pictures because they only show up on the silver. And if this was not bad enough one of the black stickers is starting to bubble up and will not stay attached to the tank. My dealer has sent photo's and a description of the problem to the Piaggio group to see if they will replace the tank since the bike is still under warranty. I have looked at 2014 models and have not seen the problem, but it did take about a year for the defect to start showing up on my tank. And I thought after going through 6 tanks on my Ducati that I would escape fuel tank problems with this bike. So has anybody else experienced this on their Griso? Please, no jokes about my tank starting to look like the face of a teenager!

2. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

It is a tank issue. It has happened to others. If you search the forum you will see there have been other cases. It sounds like the dealer is doing what he should.

3. PJA0916

PJA0916 Just got it firing! GT Famiglia

The dealer is doing a good job, my fear is that Moto Guzzi will not replace the tank. The dealer had similar problems with Aprilia fuel tanks and the Piaggio group would not authorize tank replacements in those cases. I wanted to see if anyone else was able to get a new tank.

4. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

5. wildgeezer

wildgeezer Just got it firing!

My black 07 had them when I bought it. I personally think it's caused by ethinol in the fuel. I bought a new tank from F1 and now I won't run anything but non ethinol. They haven't reappeared in a year now. Knock on wood they won't again.

6. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

My black 07 (bought in 06, first one sold in Md) has no pimples and only runs on ethanol fuel.
    General consensus is ethanol is to blame, but it is odd that yours would with some exposure to ethanol and mine, which due to Md law, always runs ethanol has no issues. Seems there are other factors involved beyond whether or not the fuel has ethanol in it.

Stevie likes this.
  7. abbienormal

abbienormal High Miler GT Famiglia

A friend had a KTM 990 Adventure and the decals on the tank all bubbled and started some peeling, Consensus was ethanol. KTM said the next one will probably do it also if you don't coat the tank. He sold the bike but bought another KTM. Must be like owning a Guzzi.
    A lot of people with vintage fiberglass tanks that the ethanol eats use Caswell tank sealer. A friend just used it to to seal a rusty tank on his TS185 and it worked great plus it is supposedly unaffected by ethanol.
    http://www.caswellplating.com/restoration-aids/epoxy-gas-tank-sealer.html

8. Resom

Resom Just got it firing!

I have a 2014 Griso (Black/Silver)... My bike is 17 months old with 10,000 miles on the clock. My tank is starting to develop "bumps" too. This sucks! I've experienced this "tank swelling" with Ducati's and MV's also.....what a nightmare! I have had a total of 3 tanks replaced by those manufacturers. MV actually has "new" tanks that don't swell... I guess Acerbes finally came up with a plastic formula that ethanol doesn't attack.

Anyway, was your problem resolved by Guzzi?