• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

FYI Re: 09 Norge rotors

JoeFaz

Tuned and Synch'ed
I had been feeling some "chattering" from my front brakes. Had them looked at and sure enough, the right rotor is measuring 1/2 millimeter or more of deflection. Left is fine and well within spec. Fortunately, the P.O. had the foresight to purchase an extended warranty so it's covered and they agreed to replace both to keep the wear even. I'll get new pads while they are apart. This is at just under 5K miles, too. So just FYI before your warranty runs out you might want to have that looked at. This is the THIRD Guzzi on which I have had defective Brembo rotors. :eek:

There has been a lot of talk on the BNS12 forum about warped rotors. All of the references appear to be directed at "Brembo" rotors. Thankfully my 2011 Norge rotors are fine so far. However, when cleaning my bike the other day, I noticed the front rotors are branded "Grimeca", and not Brembo. Of course the brake calipers are Brembo.

Are Grimeca and Brembo rotors one and the same, or have the rotors been sourced from two manufacturers?

Re: FYI Re: 09 Norge rotors - Grimeca

O.K, so I'll re-post my original question in a slightly different way....

Are Grimeca rotors common fitment to big block modern Guzzi's, and if so, are they subject to the same warping issues that affect Brembos?

There have been several threads and posts on this topic in the past. Usually the cause is not a warped rotor, but jammed/stuck buttons. Usually a good cleaning of the buttons with brake cleaner and somehow getting the buttons to rotate using hand tools or an electric drill will eliminate the brake issue. This is common for any brand of semi floating rotor.

The original problem of "warped" rotors was on Braking branded disks. I have these on mine (2007 1200 Sport) and have had no further problem with them after spinning the buttons in an electric drill - took a while but worth the effort.

Now up to 60,000 km without a problem.

Oz1200Guzzi said:
The original problem of "warped" rotors was on Braking branded disks. I have these on mine (2007 1200 Sport) and have had no further problem with them after spinning the buttons in an electric drill - took a while but worth the effort.

Now up to 60,000 km without a problem.

My '07 Norge had Brembo and they were warped after 20K milkes. It cost me approx. $600 USD to purchase new rotors.
Been OK since and I have also freed up the stuck buttons from time to time.

My Norge at 100,000 Ks has no trouble at all with front or rear brakes. A friend who has a norge, two chassis numbers from mine, has had two rear master cylinders and about 6 front rotors. He currently has only one operating at the front. His bike has about 95k kms.

That's the trouble with Luigi built Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday built bikes and depends whether before or after lunch (excess Vino?).

That's what makes them interesting I guess. Who wants conformity and reliability and consistency anyway
:oops:

Follow-up on rotors. New ones just came in, no longer made with gold centers, they are black now. Also, with the order were the ABS speed sensors. They sent two different ones and of course one doesn't fit, so back it goes. My mechanic was told that it has to come from Guzzi and that they will "check on availability and get back to him." ARRRGGGHHHH! The weather here has been prime riding weather and I just KNOW I'll get it back the day it starts to rain for the next 3 months! :evil:
Fortunately I've been able to be out driving my '78 FIAT Spider with the top down these last few weeks. :)

The original "warping" rotors were all Brembo. Braking or Grimeca has provided OEM for the last few years. All are very good rotors, they just seem to be susceptible to use/abuse, road grime, etc. Typically the buttons can be cleaned, or even a couple aggressive stops and most of the problems disappear.
If the centers are no longer gold, snap and post or send me a picture. I assume it will be similar to those on all of the new bikes.

I have an extra ABS ring, in stock, that bolts onto the brake rotor mount bolts that I can sell you if you are in a pinch and want to get going again. I stock the rotors shown below as an easy replacement for those who are replacing the rotors and don't want to get hammered by the price of the stock versions (seemingly much better then stock, OEM for the original Ducati 9XX series -- click on picture to link to the purchase page) for $139/per side. About the best deal out there for replacement Brembo rotors. They offer black, but they are substantially more money.

Cost me direct if any questions, or if I can be of help in getting the ABS ring to you; Todd at GuzziTech.com

Thanks, Todd. This is being done under extended warranty, so I'll wait and see what happens next. If there are any further lengthy hold ups, I'll give you a shout and see what we can work out.
Joe

JoeFaz said:
Follow-up on rotors. New ones just came in, no longer made with gold centers, they are black now. Also, with the order were the ABS speed sensors. They sent two different ones and of course one doesn't fit, so back it goes. My mechanic was told that it has to come from Guzzi and that they will "check on availability and get back to him."
Assuming you were just replacing the front rotors, you only need one ABS ring on the RH rotor. Have I missed something?

Brian UK said:
JoeFaz said:
Follow-up on rotors. New ones just came in, no longer made with gold centers, they are black now. Also, with the order were the ABS speed sensors. They sent two different ones and of course one doesn't fit, so back it goes. My mechanic was told that it has to come from Guzzi and that they will "check on availability and get back to him."
Assuming you were just replacing the front rotors, you only need one ABS ring on the RH rotor. Have I missed something?

"Speed sensors" is what I was told, Brian. That's all I know.

JoeFaz said:
"Speed sensors" is what I was told, Brian. That's all I know.
OK, I misunderstood. Sensors are obviously different then the slotted ABS rings. On the older Brembo rotors, the rings are bolted to the disks, and on the newer ones, they fasten using the rotor/disk bolts.
I offer the above Brembo disks for $139/per side, and the ABS (disk-bolt mounted) ring so that you do not have to drill/tap the disks or spend a fortune on the OEM rotor(s - unless they are now superseded, in which be sure to also get the newer style ABS rings).

Back