• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

G1100 vs Sport1200 as a tourer (tank/luggage not accounted!)

Mi_ka

High Miler
Well, I may become lucky enough pretty soon and get my hands on a used Griso 1100 or a Sport 1200.
They are pretty different bikes so I want your views and comments.

I really like the Griso looks but the Sport is not an ugly bike at all.
I know that the Griso is a much sportier and capable bike than the Breva Sport despite the name.
I also know that the Sport has much more gas and luggage capacities but I will NOT take them into account for this thread despite their obvious touring usefulness. Also, both bikes will be fitted with a proper windshield so wind protection is no issue here.

I want to be able to do 300-500 kms in one day away from the highways, cheerfully attack nice roads when in the mood and generally be spirited fast but not in full banzai mode, well most of the times I get into the mood :roll: .

1. Is the Griso riding position/saddle good enough for 6 hours riding or the Sport is a better choice? (my height is 1.81 / 5'11'')
I would prefer the Griso but is the Sport more comfortable? Much more or a tad?
2. Is the Griso a much better handler than Sport when pushed or just a tad?
I would prefer a better handler than a more comfy one but is it a big tradeoff here?
3. Is the 1200 2V engine a big difference to the 1100 engine?
4. The difference in the rear suspension travel is a real plus for the Sport on bad roads or just a number?

I really look forward to your views/opinions! Many thanx!

Mi_ka said:
Well, I may become lucky enough pretty soon and get my hands on a used Griso 1100 or a Sport 1200.
They are pretty different bikes so I want your views and comments.

I really like the Griso looks but the Sport is not an ugly bike at all.
I know that the Griso is a much sportier and capable bike than the Breva Sport despite the name.
I also know that the Sport has much more gas and luggage capacities but I will NOT take them into account for this thread despite their obvious touring usefulness. Also, both bikes will be fitted with a proper windshield so wind protection is no issue here.

I want to be able to do 300-500 kms in one day away from the highways, cheerfully attack nice roads when in the mood and generally be spirited fast but not in full banzai mode, well most of the times I get into the mood :roll: .

1. Is the Griso riding position/saddle good enough for 6 hours riding or the Sport is a better choice? (my height is 1.81 / 5'11'')
I would prefer the Griso but is the Sport more comfortable? Much more or a tad?
2. Is the Griso a much better handler than Sport when pushed or just a tad?
I would prefer a better handler than a more comfy one but is it a big tradeoff here?
3. Is the 1200 2V engine a big difference to the 1100 engine?
4. The difference in the rear suspension travel is a real plus for the Sport on bad roads or just a number?

I really look forward to your views/opinions! Many thanx!

I ride an 1100 Griso (I am about 5'10"). It has the small Guzzi fly screen. I have a set of throw over saddle bags. My wife (on her V11) and I tour with no issues. Sometimes we camp, so we also bring a tent, sleeping bags, and other such things. I have no issues putting in 8 - 10 hours of riding a day. We do avoid the interstates, though. But I have done a day of interstates on it with the higher mileage that 80-90 mph brings, but as I don't find that to be what riding is about (to me it is not about the destination but the trip itself) I usually avoid the interstates. I guess that is why I don't ride a BMW.
I thought the Griso seemed sportier then the Sport, but not by a lot. The Sport seemed softer to me. With stiffer, better suspension on the sport it could be better then the Griso I think. But the one I rode was a bit of a marshmallow.
I also did not see a huge difference with the motor. Just the same but a little more. Whereas the 8V motor has a different character. I wish I had one.
Didn't even notice the extra travel at the rear.

I would buy the one that floats your boat. I don't think there is a big difference between the two as far as usefulness/tourability/sportiness. (for example, I would not have bought a Sport if Guzzi did not make the Griso)

Thanx for the feedback!

GuzziMoto said:
I have no issues putting in 8 - 10 hours of riding a day. We do avoid the interstates, though....
That is what I am looking for!
As we are of the same height, is fatigue localized at some body part or spread all over when touring on the Griso?
How tough is it for the hmm waist? back? (do not know the exact word for middle back body location... :? ) on this bike?

GuzziMoto said:
The Sport seemed softer to me.
This is my point: The Griso is supposed to be sportier and the Sport softer.
Is there any real fatigue gain on the Sport?
If any fatigue gain exists on the Sport, would it be too much lost on control when looking into serious cornering ? :evil:

I have a feeling that the Sport is a big bike for big guys to manipulate around a twisty road (almost like a super enduro on motard wheels) while the Griso manages to hide its length and mass and is of more appropriate dimensions for guys like me.

Only way to tell is to try them both. FWIW while I like the 1200 Sport its frame and suspension is, once they are both setup right, inferior to that of the Griso. I also think that none of the Breva/Sport variants are blessed in looks while I think the Griso is one of the most astonishingly good looking motorbikes to have been sold for years in a brutal, minimallist sort of way.

Bagged up I did many a long day on my 1100, I continue this tradition on my 8V's and intend to continue to do so in the foreseeable future,

476219371_af107d28e9.jpg

3076243745_fc753061fc.jpg

Griso can be asked to corner acceptably, even when bagged up.

4631286296_4c111a5ca0.jpg

:D

Pete

I'm 5'11" but carry a lot of my height in my legs (if you see what I mean). I found the seat to footrest distance very cramping on my G11. Fitting the Buell lowered footrests made a huge difference, even though they only lower the pegs by about 3/4". I found that positioned me better in the seat as well.

I have the small MG screen fitted and suspect it makes no real difference at all, I tend to find cowering behind the tank bag works better. I use mine almost exclusively in longer hauls out on mainland Europe - up to 300 mile days, and it's pretty good. At the back of a small group of riders led out by a Monster 750, I've just about enough power to hang on in there. Personally I prefer charging through open sweeping bends to the real tight stuff, but the bike is very capable.

I'm with Pete, I bought the bike because it was/is the best looking production bike - by a country mile. In yellow naturally. And damn it it's a Guzzi too.

Mi_ka said:
Thanx for the feedback!

GuzziMoto said:
I have no issues putting in 8 - 10 hours of riding a day. We do avoid the interstates, though....
That is what I am looking for!
As we are of the same height, is fatigue localized at some body part or spread all over when touring on the Griso?
How tough is it for the hmm waist? back? (do not know the exact word for middle back body location... :? ) on this bike?

GuzziMoto said:
The Sport seemed softer to me.
This is my point: The Griso is supposed to be sportier and the Sport softer.
Is there any real fatigue gain on the Sport?
If any fatigue gain exists on the Sport, would it be too much lost on control when looking into serious cornering ? :evil:

I have a feeling that the Sport is a big bike for big guys to manipulate around a twisty road (almost like a super enduro on motard wheels) while the Griso manages to hide its length and mass and is of more appropriate dimensions for guys like me.

No, Fatigue for me is not localized to one area. At the end of the day I am tired but not sore.
My back is fine with the seating position. Since it uses handlebars you can change them if it is not comfortable for you. Narrower bars would be nice for me but it has not been enough of an issue to bother.
The Sport has a shorter wheel base and that is likely the biggest difference between the two, other then the better suspension on the Griso ( and the looks ).
Like the others, I bought my Griso based on looks. I did not even ride it before buying it.
Prior to buying it I had ridden a V11 and a Daytona. The Griso is a fun bike to ride, but it is not as sporty and sharp handling as a V11 or a Daytona in my opinion. It has a larger feel to me, likely from the massive wheelbase. But it is one of the coolest bikes I have ever seen.
As far as the seat to peg issue, I can see that being an issue if you have long legs and/or you lack flexability in them. I try to keep my legs as flexable as I can but I do have bad knees so there are some issues with them but not riding the Griso. But if you do have issues then you could fit the lower pegs.

pete roper said:
...I think the Griso is one of the most astonishingly good looking motorbikes to have been sold for years in a brutal, minimallist sort of way.
This is what hit me in the first place. It strongly reminds me of what a motorcycle is in my mind - we were a bunch of kids around 8 years old (ca. 1980) when we were comparing the quality of parked motorcycles based on the number of the exhausts and on the speedometer :)
The Sport looks good but in, ehh, a transvestite kind of way :blush: - classic engine lines vs modern "naked style" body not fully blended in harmony.
But if it had any big edge over the Griso for my intended use, I would like to know it, hence this thread.

pete roper said:
Griso can be asked to corner acceptably, even when bagged up.
Could the explanation for the photo be, ultra large feet/shoes? :lol: (just kidding of course!)

Many many thanx folks! :)

Back