• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

gas smell

fat albert

Just got it firing!
Hi Guys
I have a 2012 Norge and when parked in the garage over nite I have a really strong gas smell in the Morning. Any ideas were to start? This has been going on for some time.
Thanks Jack

I had a leak at the fuel pump mounting plate gasket, but it only started leaking after I had changed the fuel filter. :eek: Lift the tank and check out the fuel line, fuel line disconnect and the gasket. If that's not It, I'd l'd look at the evaporative emission control system. This system screws up some times and pressurizes the tank but I don't recall anyone saying that it cased a leak or odor.

I wouldn't store the bike in the garage if you have a water heater in there.

I had a leak from the fuel pump flange on a B750 that hadn't been apart. That is the most probable source. Another way to check is to place a clean paper towel under the tank but above the airbox.

If it is leaking, install a new gasket (they aren't cheap) and also use loctite 518 IAW the package instructions. That means you will also need an aerosol can of Loctite cleaner and primer. I've corrected a couple leaks from the plate with this technique. Be advised, the price of the gasket will shock you. Also the small bolts need to be pretty tight, but if too tight the tank threaded inserts may pull through.

Hi fat albert
Several years ago on my Breva 1100 there was the smell of fuel when parked in the garage, I noticed there was a "weep " from the fuel pump assembly, I removed it but the rubber gasket was fine. It still leaked a little after reassembly so I put some none setting hylomar on the bolt threads that hold the pump in place. That fixed it and its been fine since.
Cheers Kevin

Hey! Hey! Hey...!

Just replaced the fuel assembly gasket on my Breva for this issue -- $42 shipped.

fat albert said:
Hi Guys
I have a 2012 Norge and when parked in the garage over nite I have a really strong gas smell in the Morning. Any ideas were to start? This has been going on for some time.
Thanks Jack

Are you the second owner of the bike. Is it possible that the previous owner pulled the canister and vent valve. With the warmer weather it will start to smell of gas as it is nolonger filtered by the canister My Stelvio does it now that the canister is removed......perfectly normal.

Just thought I would throw that in there..........

canuck1969 said:
Are you the second owner of the bike. Is it possible that the previous owner pulled the canister and vent valve. With the warmer weather it will start to smell of gas as it is nolonger filtered by the canister My Stelvio does it now that the canister is removed......perfectly normal.

I had the opposite!

With the canister, it would keep the fuel tank pressurized and I would get gas vapors and smell in the garage (in the Fall). Now that I've removed the canister, the fuel tank vents with no restrictions and I do not smell any gas, even with the garage at 85*+.

Tom

Then you had something weird happening in your bike before you pulled out the canister. Your vent valve may have been damaged. With a canister, the vent valve will release pressure from the vapors into your charcol canister. I wouldn't think you would be able to smell the gas through the filter First summer with the stelvio in the hot garage with the canister and no smell at all. Removed the vent and canister and no restriction between the tank and atmosphere so you would smell gas fumes.

Did you remove the vent valve also??

toma nova said:
canuck1969 said:

I had the opposite!

With the canister, it would keep the fuel tank pressurized and I would get gas vapors and smell in the garage (in the Fall). Now that I've removed the canister, the fuel tank vents with no restrictions and I do not smell any gas, even with the garage at 85*+.

Tom

Thanks all for your help. It appears that is the gsk. Bolts wre a little loose i will tighten and keep my fingers crossed.
Thanks again
Jack

canuck1969 said:
Then you had something weird happening in your bike before you pulled out the canister. Your vent valve may have been damaged. With a canister, the vent valve will release pressure from the vapors into your charcol canister. I wouldn't think you would be able to smell the gas through the filter First summer with the stelvio in the hot garage with the canister and no smell at all. Removed the vent and canister and no restriction between the tank and atmosphere so you would smell gas fumes.

Did you remove the vent valve also??

I did remove the vent valve when I removed the canister - now it is free flowing from the tank vent to atmosphere (and back). I agree that the vent valve was bad and / or the line pinched - I routed a new line during the canisterectomy.

With the canister, I had pressure released when I opened the fuel filler, now no pressure buildup.

Tom

Back