Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

GAS TANK PIMPLES

Discussion in 'BNS12 Chat & Tech' started by ncassidy, Jun 18, 2010.

1. ncassidy

ncassidy Cruisin' Guzzisti

When I bought my Norge in 2007, it was brand new. I brought it home in January so was not able to ride it until the weather got better. I noticed that the gas tank had 3 blemishes on it that were under the paint. They sort of looked like pimples of varying size, but no damage to the paint, so I thought that the tank had not been sanded out enough, no big deal, hey it's Italian. Anyway, the other day, in the right sunlight I noticed more of these blemishes. They were not there before, so they have cropped up from under the paint. Still no damage to the paint. Now it is getting me to wonder if the gas in the tank is having some effect on the material the tank is made of. Wondering if anyone else has had this happen to their Norge.

2. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

It sounds like you may have a porous tank. I've not heard of that recently with plastic tanks (ran across some in the 70s on dirt bikes), but it can happen. Did you point it out to your dealer when you were still under warranty? If not, you may have to spring for a replacement tank on your own dime. Doubtful the fuel would erode a good plastic tank. My guess is that there are imperfection in the plastic from when it was made and the fuel is making its way through, or the tank wasn't properly finished and the paint is just lifting over time. If it was just a poor pain job, you may be able to just repaint instead of replace. Painting plastic is tricky.

3. Mi_ka

Mi_ka High Miler

Do the modern plastic tanks sport some kind of internal material (i.e. special internal paint) to stop the gas fumes escaping through the walls or are the plastic materials used evolved past the porous problems of the past?

4. draidt

draidt GT Reference GT Contributor

Ethanol gremlin got you. Tank probably was not treated correctly to prevent that. So far I have 1 dimple on my Norge .

5. Bill Hagan

Bill Hagan GT Reference GT Famiglia

Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia
    I have a new "treated" tank. Guess what? Yup. Some dimples. :(

At 40K grin-filled miles, I am trying to keep this in perspective. Trying. :woohoo:

6. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Out of curiosity, I just checked my 2006 Breva. No "pimples". Is this just a Norge phenomenon or are there Brevas out there with the issue? I would think both would have the problem since they are so similar.

7. Mike.C

Mike.C GT Reference

Ni pimples on my Breva tank.

8. Roblatt

Roblatt High Miler

none on my breva either

Robert

9. azccj

azccj Cruisin' Guzzisti

30K miles on my 07 Norge and no pimples so far, I hope it stays that way. :S

10. Mackers

Mackers Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Checked my '06 black Breva - no pimples.

11. Cat City Rider

Cat City Rider Cruisin' Guzzisti

07 Norge. Zit free

12. NeroGuzzi

NeroGuzzi Cruisin' Guzzisti

My B11 has a couple of pimples. I've been keeping an eye on them. They don't seem to be getting worse.

13. rturo

rturo Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

06 Breva UK fuel, No sign of any pimples

Had some problems trying to brim fill her over the weekend which i dont usually bother doing - got blowback and quite a bit of petrol on the paintwork. Thought it best to cut the top surface with paint restorer and wax n seal- paint now like new again. Is this luck of the draw or is there a pattern - certain fuel in some locations?

Art

14. Saint Nut

Saint Nut Tuned and Synch'ed

I haven't counted how many pimples on my 07 Norge. Quite a few. Since the bike was new to me in May, I just assumed that the factory paint quality was poor. Anyway, I ride with a tank bag so not much of the tank shows anyway.

15. Captain Oversteer

Captain Oversteer Just got it firing!

I went out to the shed with a bottle of Stridex for my Black B11 but, I didn't need it. No pimples,,, so far...

16. ncassidy

ncassidy Cruisin' Guzzisti

Could you send me the bottle of stridex? My tank looks like an adolescent with acne problems. Actually, the tank is not that bad, it did come with 2 rather large blemishes under the paint and I just thought it was a poor finish job, but now other smaller pimples are showing up, so I have to wonder if the fuel is having an effect on the tank. My biggest fear is that the pimples may pop and spew white goo all over the gauges. :woohoo:

17. xenarchi

xenarchi Cruisin' Guzzisti

Same same with my Breva. It was spreading until I crashed the bike. Some of my dimples were quiet large really. Maybe half the size of a US penny.

18. Cat City Rider

Cat City Rider Cruisin' Guzzisti

Kinda extreme for a mild case of acne isn't it?