• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Gear clanking and upgrading the headlight

schaeffer

Just got it firing!
Hi all,

New Guzzi owner here, picked up one of the last 2015 V7 Specials in May. Two items I am looking for input on.

First, when 600 miles rolled around after getting quoted $350 for the breakin service I did it all myself......since then for the past couple of weeks I get an intermittent loose sounding rattle low in what seems to be the transmission. Not only Can I hear it but I feel It as a slight clunking amidst the vibration of the engine. No performance issue with the bike in any way and this sound/rattle only happens at times (5% of drive time) usually at idle or low speeds. Any thoughts on what this might be or what I could check? I have 800 miles on the bike. Did the breakin service items at 600.

Second, other than the LED replacement kit on Todd's store any other full headlight/housing replacement kits for increased but legal lighting anyone can recommend.

Cheers

Schaeffer

A lot of Guzzis (most) have weird clutch noises.

Is this happening at idle?
Does it change when you pull in the clutch lever?

Sounds like the input shaft of the gear box rattling the gears. Normal if the rattling at idle in neutral goes away when you pull the clutch lever in (disengage the clutch). Will also go away if you rev the engine slightly in neutral as that smooths out the pulses of the engine. The rattle will get louder as the bike ages. Again, harmless.

If it still rattles when you pull the clutch lever is, then it could be of concern but I am betting on it being as above.

Canuck and Trout, alas disengaging the clutch has no impact on the sound. The sound and vibrations comes and goes irrespective of clutch status. Though I have only noticed this at idle or low RPMs.

have you re-torqued the exhaust pipe to cylinder head connections. must be done often. is the exhaust pipe hitting the frame?
every nut bolt and screw needs tightening. including the tail light lens's.

Dang! Sorry man I'm not sure at this point. Not the best advice in the world but I would tend to ride it and keep an ear open for any change to the worse side. Over the years I've gotten so i trust these Guzzi's more than any other bike to give plenty of warning before going bang.

So, the sound was not there before you did the service?

Are you sure it is from the gearbox and not from the valves. Is it possible that you adjusted a valve on the loose side and you are just hearing normal valve tappets.

You will get a sort of cyclical sound coming from the engines. I think the V7s still run with flat tappets (not up on my V7s). With te larger Carc bikes that run flat tappets, you will get a cyclical tap as the tappets spin on the cam.

See if you can isolate the sound. If you can post a video it will help to determine if it is something to be concerned with, or normal Guzzi sounds.

have you re-torqued the exhaust pipe to cylinder head connections. must be done often. is the exhaust pipe hitting the frame?
every nut bolt and screw needs tightening. including the tail light lens's.
Will review all bolt and screws this weekend. Thanks for the rec.

So, the sound was not there before you did the service?

Are you sure it is from the gearbox and not from the valves. Is it possible that you adjusted a valve on the loose side and you are just hearing normal valve tappets.

You will get a sort of cyclical sound coming from the engines. I think the V7s still run with flat tappets (not up on my V7s). With te larger Carc bikes that run flat tappets, you will get a cyclical tap as the tappets spin on the cam.

See if you can isolate the sound. If you can post a video it will help to determine if it is something to be concerned with, or normal Guzzi sounds.
I don't think it is the valves as I would recognize that sound. This issue did start after the break in service but not immediately. Will see if I can get a video of the issue recorded and posted. Really appreciate your time and input.

Schaeffer

Back