• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Gear Lube and Tranny Fluid

GBrag

Just got it firing!
Color me a new (used) Griso owner (8V 7K miles/2009). Checking the documentation for a number of MG models I see that the recommendation is to replace the Gear Lube (at the rear wheel) and Tranny fluid (gearbox) every 6200 miles. Does everyone actually do this? Given the dry clutch it seems a bit of overkill for the tranny. And for the gear/axle it seem really over the top, C'mon, own up here. What is actually done? (ok, other than the Warranty bunnies).

As a 07 Griso owner, I always follow the MG manuals recommendation. Please don't be cheap and ruin a piece of art work. You'll waste more money on a poor Hollywood movie then the cost of a litre of fluid.

It's really easy to change the gearbox and CARC fluids. So I don't see any reason to skip it at the specified intervals.

GBrag said:
Color me a new (used) Griso owner (8V 7K miles/2009). Checking the documentation for a number of MG models I see that the recommendation is to replace the Gear Lube (at the rear wheel) and Tranny fluid (gearbox) every 6200 miles. Does everyone actually do this? Given the dry clutch it seems a bit of overkill for the tranny. And for the gear/axle it seem really over the top, C'mon, own up here. What is actually done? (ok, other than the Warranty bunnies).

You're correct; sort of. I don't change the oils every 6,200 miles.
I never follow manufactures recommendations for changing fluids.
I want my vehicles to last longer than the warranty; so I've been changing all three oils in my Griso every 3,000 to 4,000 miles.
And I change all fluids on all my vehicles more frequent than recommended.

But what do I know; my last motorcycle only had 260,000 miles and was still running perfectly when it hit a deer,
my last pickup only had 235,000 miles and was still running perfectly when that dumped truck ran a stop sign and hit me,
and my pickup before that one only had 230,000 miles ........., etc ...

Oil is cheap; motor (or tranny, or final drive) rebuilds or new vehicles are expensive.

BTW; Congrats on the new(to you) ride !

GBrag said:
Color me a new (used) Griso owner (8V 7K miles/2009). Checking the documentation for a number of MG models I see that the recommendation is to replace the Gear Lube (at the rear wheel) and Tranny fluid (gearbox) every 6200 miles. .

Be careful of which oil goes where. Not sure about the Griso, but the Stelvio manual refers to the Carc (rear wheel) as the Transmission and the Transmission as the gearbox. Double check you are putting the right fluids in the right place.

For as little fluid as it takes and as easy as it is to do, I don't see a point in postponing the fluid changes.

EDIT: Draining the gearbox will be even easier if the air canister is removed. Just sayin'. It's the one thing I found to be a bit of a pain with the procedure on my G1100 -- trying to make a 'funnel' out of a milk jug that would divert the gearbox oil and direct it into a container. I wasn't entirely successful in my attempts. But I've since removed my canister, and so that problem is gone.

IIRC, the B11 manual calls for a replacement interval of 12500 miles. I change mine when I do the motor oil, usually between 4 and 5 thousand miles. Also, use the higher grade of the two spec'd by MG in both units.

Ditto on previous comments, increasing intervals doesn't hurt, it's relatively cheap, and allows for more frequent thorough inspection of the fluid.

The Norge manual says to change the gearbox and CARC oils every 12,500 miles,but to halve this if riding in very dusty conditions. Maybe they assume that's what a Stelvio is always doing.
Never been one for being anal about these oil changes. My car manufacturers do not specify an oil change interval for the manual gearbox, only to check the level.
Hence it is still going strong at only 150,000 miles. Last one lasted well over 350k miles and it was the engine which gave up.

Yea, I guess if you want you could change the trans and bevel box oil every 6200 miles (or less) but the manual says to "Adjust" the fluid that often and by that I am pretty sure they mean check the level and add if required.
The change schedule in my manual for the trans and bevel box is every 12500 miles or every two years. You can change it more often then that but unless you are using cheap oil (which I don't) there zero to be gained by that. If it makes you feel better then fine, just don't expect to see a difference in how your bike runs or how long it lasts.
I think they all have the part about dusty conditions and halving the scheduled distance.
I think the OP mis-read the manual. They are poorly written.

Personally I can't see any reason why you would change the gearbox and carc at oils 6,200 miles other than the fact is quite simple and won't cost a lot for the oil.
Double that interval should be more than adequate if you are using a quality product, unless of course you are losing oil or it is contaminated causing it to be over stressed.
I base this on experience with Automotive Transmissions and Differentials which are far more highly stressed than our bike components and run change intervals up to anything from 30,000 to 60,000 miles without issues and many modern transmissions and differentials are sealed for life and don't even have provision to check the oil. The only reason you change it in these instances is if there is a leak.
I won't leave mine that long for the simple reasons outlined in my first sentence but I believe that some of the recommendations for my Griso are unrealistic in the real world (fork oil for instance). As GuzziMoto noted you need to read the recommendations in context it doesn't always mean replace everything, what you need to be concerned about is that there is a sufficient quantity and quality in the bike components.
Now Engine oil is a different story and I believe that the recommendations are realistic in light of the stresses my engine endures especially in the hot Australian climate.
Just my thoughts.

Mark

Thanks all. First I would never even think of skimping on quality, ratings or length of time on engine oil. Nor did I have any real plan to do likewise on the others. (and thanks for the flogging for even thinking that.) I was more interested in the thoughts about to the NEED to change these fluids (regardless of how easy and cheap). Comparing to other bikes, and cars, it does seem a bit much.

The fork oil changes are also interesting, in that I have never seen anywhere changing forks seals "just because". Or fork oil as frequently. I was kinda looking for some knowledgeable discussions and reasoning, but it appears the answer is "just do it and shut up,stupid.". Never been a fan of that, so I will keep asking these stupid questions. :p

Back