• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Gear Whine 1200 Sport

JAS

Tuned and Synch'ed
I am a bit of a hypochondriac when it comes to my Moto Guzzi, but for peace of mind I wanted to ask about the gear whine with my 07 1200 Sport.

The bike has always whined a bit when it is cold, but is seems to have become a bit more pronounced lately (it maybe my imagination). I mean it is still a pretty small amount of noise, and appears only on acceleration. I don't know if it continues in the upper gears as the wind noise makes it too difficult to detect (can be heard in 1st through to 3rd). It is quite cold here in Canberra (Australia), so maybe this is a contributor?

Is a slight whine when accelerating normal for a CARC 6 speed box, or is this something to be concerned about? I have previously just chalked it down to character, and quite like the mechanical noise.

I have checked the final drive, there are no leaks, oil level is correct and there is no play in the bearing (well a very slight amount, but when Pete (Roper) checked he felt it was just something to keep an eye on).

JAS

Has it got any worse? If you'd like me to have another quick looksee bring it out but as long as it isn't getting appreciably worse it's probably normal. I can't hear the gearbox or CARC on mine but I wear earplugs and anyway my 8V makes such an unholy racket even if I wasn't wearing the plugs I wouldn't be able to hear anything over the sound of the gnomes trying to escape from the crankcase!

Pete

PS it is getting a bit chilly innit? -8*C last Saturday in Bungendore. I know that because when the temp hits -8 our pipes freeze!!!! :D

Is this a sort of ringing sound like what one can also hear from cars, for instance? My Norge has done that more or less from new so I'm not particularly concerned about it esp. as she continues to pull like a tractor (put me on a different make of bike and I'll stall the engine at least 10x before I manage to pull away :D). I just give a bit more clutch when the sound seems to be louder ... though that might just drown it out in increased engine noise :)

Pete: gnomes? Are you sure them ain't green hobgoblins instead? :mrgreen:

No, it is more of a whine that changes frequency as I accelerate. I have an old Datsun ute that does the same thing, and has done so since new (my father bought it new), though it is a bit louder....

The best I can describe is the gear whine from these two V11 videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPk4oXlVjTc and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hv5ccHV5K0

I understand the 6 speed in the v11 is of a totally different design to the CARC 6 speed, but the sound is similar under acceleration. The more I watch these videos, the less I worry about the whine, it seems a Guzzi gearbox characteristic...

Jason

PS Sent you a message Pete.

As far as I can say, that's more or less the sound I'm hearing on my bike too. With ringing, I just mean it's not a constant sound but rather something like the sound a tuning fork produces ... "pure" metal under mechanical load/stress?

After watching these videos and listenning to my bike, it seems to be normal noise I am hearing. Thanks for the replies.

Back