• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

General Observations

seb

Tuned and Synch'ed
So, I have clocked another 3000 or so miles on the Norge since the last maintenance period. On the previous ride of 3500 miles, I was running the Bridgestone tires installed in Roswell, NM and using the EBC brake pads from some 15,000 miles ago. I got 10,000 miles on the Bridgestones and that was about 1000 too many miles so let's just say they comfortably managed to last 9000 miles. For this trip, I had Michelin Pilot 2T's and this time I balanced using the Dyna Beads. This is a dynamite combination. The Bridgestones were a good tire but they were really, really noisy. The Michelins are much, much quieter and handle just as well. The shop in Roswell did a great job balancing the Bridgestones but the Dyna Beads work really well and they are so easy: just pour them in and forget it. Top speed on the last trip was 112 MPH and the ride was smooth, smooth, and smooth. Now here's to seeing how long they last.

I also changed the brake pads for the last trip. I had really thought that one or more front rotors were warped. The bike had been previously equipped with the EBC 6800 HH units. I put on the EBC FA244 and what a difference. Braking is now really smooth and no more pulsing. Perhaps those more knowledgable in the ways of braking and brake pads can 'splain this to me.

The Guzzi-Tech Stepper Motor Kit finally got rid of the annoying idle problem and that really helps after a high speed run down the highway suddenly ends in downtown city traffic. I have noticed that under severe braking the engine dies. I am not sure that is related to the SDK so maybe someone has an explanation for this phenomenon.

I have the Moto International bar risers and the CalSci windshield. The windshield is, in my opinion, much better than stock. I am getting ready to install some Heli-Bars to see if they offer anything over the Moto International bar risers. An extra 1" back would really help I think.

Hi Steve,

I have a RED-RED 07 Norge also, I'm over on the east side here in Spo-Tucky WA... I too have installed a tall CalSci windshield and found it makes a tremendous difference in comfort and buffeting on the Beast.

I just installed a set of Mike Bui's 1.5 risers and they work great for me. Now all I need is a modified seat to complete getting comfortable. The stock seat is too forward canted, too narrow and too low.
It's either a new Russell saddle for me or having my stock seat modified by an upholstery guy I know who has already done this for my V-Strom successfully.

I will be looking at tires soon so I am glad to read the the Pilot 2's are a good tire to look at.
Thanks for posting info on the brake pads...:^)

If you ever head over this side, and there are plenty of great roads here give me a heads up!

seb said:
The Guzzi-Tech Stepper Motor Kit finally got rid of the annoying idle problem and that really helps after a high speed run down the highway suddenly ends in downtown city traffic. I have noticed that under severe braking the engine dies. I am not sure that is related to the SDK so maybe someone has an explanation for this phenomenon.
Thanks, and it could be related though I've never experienced this problem personally on my Norge. Is the bike is solid state of tune (valves, throttle bodies, TPS set)?

I did a 25,000 mile maintenance before the last trip. Among other things, the valves were adjusted, all 4 plugs were changed, and I used the VDSTS to set TPS. I did not synchronize the throttle bodies. I am going to do a test when it stops raining. I will turn on the stepper motor and see if I can make the bike stall under a hard stop.

seb said:
I did a 25,000 mile maintenance before the last trip. Among other things, the valves were adjusted, all 4 plugs were changed, and I used the VDSTS to set TPS. I did not synchronize the throttle bodies. I am going to do a test when it stops raining. I will turn on the stepper motor and see if I can make the bike stall under a hard stop.
Very good, keep me posted. If it stalls with it on or off, I can certainly say that it is fueling related.

GT-Rx said:
Very good, keep me posted. If it stalls with it on or off, I can certainly say that it is fueling related.

I'd agree. FWIW I've yet to see a bike here do this. We don't have the carbon canister and re-breather stuff on Norges. While I can't see how it does seem that this has relevance somehow.

Pete

I'm thoroughly enjoying my 2007 B11, bought new 1 year ago. I just finished a 1 week 2100 mile trip (now at ~ 14000 miles) through WA, OR, NV, and CA and am very pleased with the Heli-bars risers and Corbin seat. The Guzzi Tech compensator (replaces stock catalytic converter) and SBK megaphone pipe connector are solid and sound great.

I couldn't be happier! Thanks Moto International for selling these bikes at such huge discounts and providing such high quality service.

GT-Rx said:
seb said:
The Guzzi-Tech Stepper Motor Kit finally got rid of the annoying idle problem
I have about 1300 miles on a new 2008 Norge I bought in August. Love the bike, but have experienced this sketchy idling issue you guys have mentioned. I've seen these Stepper kits for sale, but am wondering if I were to install a Power Commander, would it make the Stepper redundent. Can you guys help me here?

Also, would appreciate advice on which risers offer the best rearward positional modification (without replacing lines and cables).

Thanks!
Scott

I now have 1,300 miles on the Heli-Bar risers. They are a significant improvement over the Moto-International risers. They bring the bars 1.75 inches back, up, and narrower. They bolted on with the stock cables. I quite like the feel. Pricey damn things!
I also have a custom seat from Rich's Custom Seats (http://www.richscustomseats.com). I have about 12,000 miles on this seat and it is without a doubt the most significant improvement that I have made to the Norge. This seat has allowed me to easily do back-to-back 500 mile days. Not cheap either!
The other little goodie on this bike is the Rostra cruise control. I can't say enough about how valuable this thing is.

S....

Back