• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Goodbye Mandello - Guzzi

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
Ivar de Gier wrote:
I guess is the proper phrase. If the information received is correct, Guzzi is no longer making motorcycles in Mandello del Lario. What a blow that must be for that gorgeous town with its friendly people. And what a long way the brand has gone since 1919 and 1921. The original founders had a vision that the brand should help the town that made it so prosperous. They wanted to build motorcycles that were sturdy and easy to maintain. Reliable and the racing machines had to be innovative. The V-twin was designed as a machine that should be easy to maintain, easy to build, and easy to operate whilst giving moderate performance. When a dentist showed he could do magic with Guzzi, he got the job to do it, and he did. Just like Carcano was brought in at the racing dept. in the 1930s, just like Carlo Guzzi showed the father of Giorgio Parodi. The founders had their own philosophy how to build bikes and where to do it. It came out of passion, and that passion fueled the birth of so many machines, and led to so many incredibly impressive racing machines.

That passion wanted to keep the factory where it was born, full of tradition, and the only safe place left where the original ideas of the founders still would be brought into the models that so many times were perceived by their designers for their riders. Guzzi Production has left Mandello. Ciao Guzzi. It was fun, thank you so much for staying there so long and making such a wonderful destination for countless trips. Thanks for providing a place to meet new and old friends. A place to show my kids, like my father showed me, like his father showed him.

Guzzi as I knew always have known it, is gone. I just cannot get over it but I think I am one of the few. But I still keep dreaming and hoping for that new Guzzi that looks like a Guzzi, handles like a Guzzi, can be maintained like a Guzzi and is durable as a Guzzi. And maybe it will be produced in Mandello. But ah well people, it lasted 90 years.

It is odd how lifelong cornerstone values can simply change. I really wonder who really cares though. But the people that work for Guzzi in Mandello, so many of them so proud of the brand, sometimes people with the 3RD generation already working for Guzzi, so passionate and always helpful for the non local Guzzi riders visiting their village and their factory; they are the ones that really suffer as their livelihood is in danger. And for all of us that have enjoyed their incredible hospitality; have learned to really appreciate the brands’ history; and have learned about the incredible dynamics of the way it created friendships and even families worldwide; for all of us it has left an uncomfortable void of a time that you knew once was, but never will return again.

They should make a Motorcycle Mall out of the place w/ offices and Museum, sell bikes there w/ Augostini, a Cafe, etc. Cash in on thier history.

V700Steve wrote:
They should make a Motorcycle Mall out of the place w/ offices and Museum, sell bikes there w/ Augostini, a Cafe, etc. Cash in on thier history.

Just wondering; who are "they" ?:huh:
Mandello is a town, and it's Italian.

Anybody know the source from where Ivar de Gier got this information?

A guy involved in Guzzi classic bikes since ehhhh..... a long time.

Hmmmm, 1: Who is Ivar der Gler, 2: What was this published in?, 3: So where are they being manufactured?, and 4: Like Holt asked,How does he know? What gives Todd?
FBC

OK From what I could find out Ivar de Gier is a motorcycle historian ( either Dutch or Belgian, I saw both in print) who has an extensive Guzzi collection and posts on WildGuzzi and maybe a couple of other forums. Was unable to find where he posted that article or what was the source of the info. Still Looking.
FBC Oh yeah there were rumours of Guzzi being no more on some forums (say it ain't so ) Anybody know anything else?

Technically he was probably right when he wrote that, with the factory still undergoing modernisation work, for which it was closed at the end of May. Which is probably the reason we're seeing so many rumours that get unmasked as such and then pop up again in modified form, the last couple of months.

I'll see if I can get some reaction from a forum buddy living in Mandello.

Some one posted the same info at another forum, and one of the replies indicated that they had seen plans for condos and shops on the 'former' Guzzi site in Mandello. I have no idea of the veracity of the claim. It does seem unfortunate that we cannot seem to get a straight answer one way or the other. Reminds me of dealing with government officials.

I hope it is not true and that Piaggio at least realizes the marketing potential of keeping a Guzzi presence in Mandello - even if it is just a museum and design center. They can build them at a modern facility (maybe better QC) but keep the marque alive.

On the French forum, I read rumours about how the city government is trying to obtain the site, to build hotels and restaurants there (which might not be the worse usage). I've also read about how 4 100 million € offers to buy Guzzi have been turned down by Piaggio...

According to the member living in Mandello, assembly still takes place in Mandello, but he also claims that the factory site has simply become too small. So we'd be looking at a victim of Guzzi's success, if so, maybe we shouldn't complain too loudly!

I read somewhere that Piaggio feels that for Guzzi to be profitable they need to build and sell 14,000 bikes a year and they feel it best to group production at Aprillia. At least that's how I remember the article...

It would be best to see Guzzi continue as a brand and it's totally sad to see the end of a love affair and 90 year romance. I think anyone who is interested in Moto Guzzi will feel saddened... Triumph seems to have made a similar transition... If Guzzi does similar to what Triumph has managed then the cost of the loss of Historic tradition will at least make some sense... I hope the money guys understand the real cost associated with lost tradition. It is part of the reason....what makes them feel crafted...and I've found confusion at the "Luigi must have had a bad day" type of comments but maybe there is something I've missed...at least Luigi has a name...he's not a machine is he?

I read another article about Cobblers, those craftsmen who fashion fine shoes made to order. These guys have made their craft a lifetime passion, a similar love affair and romance but young Italians do not want to learn these trades and are less interested in these older traditions and so it is difficult for these men to find apprentices to teach their crafts.

Ettt whatta gonna do?

Vivo

As a relative newbie (3 years owning my B11), I could care less where the bikes are made as long as:
1. They are still made with the quality expected
2. Dealer support remains
3. Parts are readily accessible.

I didn't buy the bike because of its history. I doubt most of the new purchasers did. I bought the bike because it appealed to me on different sensory levels. Of course my wife, who is Italian, told me to buy it. I actually use it as my daily ride.

I do not wrench, and have had zero problems since purchase.

I agree with Pete's observations in other posts about the Mandello facility. If MG is to remain a viable marque, it needs to be produced in a modern facility.

We can all wax nostalgic about history, but if MG is no longer produced due to economies, we will be crying in our Chianti.

Ultimately I would like to see the marque survive and agree with Oca's 3 points. If they can't be viable with production in Mandello, that's a shame, but I'd rather keep them around than become history!
fbc

Ok, I just got off the phone with Toresan, Chief press officer for Guzzi, I'm fluent in Italian so I don't need to decipher broken English:

1. The Guzzi employees are back at work this week in Mandello, assembling motorcycles.
2. As of last December, Moto Guzzi as a company doesn't exist anymore, it has been completely and officially been absorbed by Piaggio
3. Guzzi sales are down 39% from last year, companies in Italy have the option to lay off it's workers for short periods of time at a reduced salary to save money during slow periods. If anyone has been paying attention, Aprilia has had more of these temp. layoffs this year than Guzzi has. He doesn't rule out any more for the Guzzi workers later this year.
4. All of the European motorcycle manufacturers were recently in Brussels looking for financial help as was given to the euro Auto industry recently.
5. As i was on the phone with him he was printing a news report saying that the Guzzi workers were planning various strikes at the plant.

That's all, I'm not claiming that I invented Moto Guzzi, but this is information from them directly and they are more Moto Guzzi than anyone right now. Anyone wanna call the Guzzi office (in Italy) themselves feel free the number is +39 02-76212649.

AlexM
(Todd knows me & Daniele)

Please also see my latest posts in the GMG2009 thread...

Welcome, Alex. Some kind of first post! ;)

So, what was your impression of Toresan? Somebody who cares about the marque and understands historical value(s), or Just Another Manager who cares about very different abstract things, if at all? In the interview I read with him (in a French magazine), I rather thought he cares ... but then he's on a PR position...

The decision to close the factory was made long ago. Knowing how fond our connection is to the factory, two higher ups at PGA separately took the trouble to phone us on the same day about a year ago to express how sorry they were for us to have to hear that the factory would be shuttered. Then they realized that this was not for public consumption and clammed up.

What we are experiencing right now is the slow insertion of the knife, which any p.r. person can tell you initiates a predictable trajectory among fans of a marque that begins with everybody being shocked and saying how horrible that would be and that whatever company it is would never be so stupid as to do that, which then moves on to, "Well, I think it might actually be good for the marque" to finally "We're so glad you're doing this because better machines will result." Works everytime, especially among the newbies. The scooterization of Guzzi will be complete in a few years.

Anyone who questions what Ivar has to say is just too new to this game to know or just isn't paying attention. That's just the truth from someone who's been in it long enough to know.

Back