• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Gotta come to the USA *AGAIN!* Damn!

Penis Rotor

GT Godfather!
Well, after the demise of the Griso Pinko I Ummed and Ahhed a bit about what to replace it with but a few weeks ago I picked up an almost brand new Aprilia Mana GT-ABS in Florida for 8.5G's with 173 miles on the clock, (The Griso Pinko also has an equally stupidly low number of miles on it!).

Anyway, that means I've *got* to come over and ride it over from Dan Raidt's place in Florida to Jon's place in LA. Now I'm having me testicle off on the 5th of May but since that is only soft tissue I can't see me still being 'Hors de Combat' much over a month later so I'm planning on coming over early to mid June. No real plans at this stage but the most likely route will be up through Georgia and then onto Alabama. Next definite place on the itinerary will be to drop in and see Daniel in Witchita and after that there are no real plans but I've yet to get up into the mountains North of Denver so that
will almost certainly be on the list!

Anyway, as usual, providing it is mended by then :roll: I'll have Navigator on board and for those who haven't got a dealer nearby I'm more than happy to stop in and perform stuff like TPS re-sets, map upgrades and TB ballances in return for a chinwag and a beer. So holler out if you think you might be on or near my route and I'll happily drop in for a meet and greet!

Pete

Pete,

If you can come as far north as Huntsville, the guest room is open. I can show you some of the north AL roads and we can swing by the Jack Daniels distillery (about an hour ride on some really nice two lanes) which I'm sure is your kind of place. Also the Barber Museum in Birmingham could be to your liking. Send me an e-mail if you are interested.

It'll be a great trip, of course. When I rode out west, Daniel mapped out a route for me. I'm sure he'll tell you where to go. :shock: :D Knowing how much you like our "young" topography, you're gonna *love* the western mountains.
Quick recovery, Pete..

Sorry you won't be able to make it to the Ruptured Budgie Pete. I'm sure a week won't be long enough after your weight loss procedure. :lol:

I still have my little cheap GPS with US maps if you would like to borrow it. You would need a tank bag to slip it into. I don't have any fancy mounting gear.

Cheers

Rod

Rod, thanks for that but I just bought a Zumo 660. Jude has just started riding again with me and is relly enjoying it, that's part of the reson why I opted for a Mana in the USA. It just 'Works' for us. Since we're going to be doing a fair amount of two wheeled trekingit seemed sensible to get a proper bike GPS and simply buy the US maps etc. for when we come over there.

John? if I'm in Alabama I'm sure I can make my way up to Huntsville, (Now I'll have to find it on the map! :roll: :D ) So far I have no *real* ittererary. As I said, Georgiato see anyone there who are around, Wayne, Bill's going to be off somewhere else by the time I get there I think but maybe Cam'll be able to meet up some place in the mountains. Then on to see Nelson and Jan in B'ham but after that??? Maybe I can slip up to see you and then on to see Chuck in Indiana before swinging west and heading for Witchita. From then on?? No plans at all but as I said, the mountains North of Denver are somewhere I have yet to get to.

Last time we met was in South Dakota wasn't it? be good to catch up again, no doubt neither of us are any younger or prettier! :lol:

Pete

Hi Pete,

I went through Colorado and Utah a bit on my trip. Most of the roads are great. Even I 70 west of Denver has some spectacular sections with serious altitude. Mt Evans with a sealed road up to 14,000' is worth the detour. There is a couple of dollar park entry fee but that's nothing. If on a weekend watch out for all the push bike riders doing altitude training.

You have been to the US much more than me but if Jude is going then don't forget the National Park season pass. It was $90 for the vehicle for all the parks. At $15-30 each for a bike the pas is worthwhile if you are going to do a few.

I was fortunate to know a couple of guys in Colorado from the Morini list. They gave me some great road recommendations for CO and UT. I'm sure you will have lots of input from others but let me know and I'll send you some road numbers.

Cheers

Rod

pete roper said:
Last time we met was in South Dakota wasn't it? be good to catch up again, no doubt neither of us are any younger or prettier! :lol:

Pete

As usual correct on both!! Huntsville is about 2 hours north of Birmingham, or 3-4 hours west of Wayne's place. From Huntsville, Indiana is an easy shot if you want to take the slab, or good old US 231 will take you there eventually.

That would be *great* if you make it to Indiana, Pete.. we have a guest room and beer on tap. Sorry, no goats..

Manas aren't to everyones' liking John but I really rate 'em. They aren't the fastest, or the best handling but as a commuter or for whatI use it for, touring, they really are second to none. No, I'll never abandon my Guzzis and the G8 is a bloody fantastic bike but for touring, especially two-up, the Mana beats the Big G hands down. It's also ridiculously frugal, stone axe simple, stupidly reliable and has a great, (For me.) riding position. The only thing that lets it down is its suspension and for my purposes what it has is probably 'Good Enough' for now at least.

I've just bought it a set of panier racks and a tail rack which are being sent to Dan's place in Florida so I can just bring my Mana luggage from Oz. Along with the 'World's Ugliest' tail trunk thingy from Mutazu! It only cost $115 but it comes with its own baseplate so I couldn't go past it. Problem is its so ugly its the sort of thing that will make babies cry if they have their prams parked next to it! Tough titty! I can't see it when I'm riding and its big enough to take a folded corpse! :D

I'd probably better ask Daniel but I was thinking of tackling Highway 50 across the Nevada Basin this time around. Anyone done this? it's supposed to be spectacular?

Pete

pete roper said:
...but I was thinking of tackling Highway 50 across the Nevada Basin this time around. Anyone done this? it's supposed to be spectacular?
Pete

There aren't too many choices across Nevada: I-80, US-50 and US-6. I-80 doesn't have much going for it (being a freeway). Between US-50 and US-6, I prefer US-50. Both will have you riding very long stretches of flat desert, but I find US-50 the more interesting and with a few more small towns along the way. US-50 follows (mostly) the route of the pony express and an early routing of the Lincoln Highway (the first transcontinental road). Great Basin National Park is worth a visit (for the caves). US-50 also has an advantage of putting you in a good position to select any number of routes across the Rocky Mountains.

Some US-50 pictures:
image079.jpg

What to do when your U-joint fails 25 miles out of Ely? Answer: take a picture.
image051.jpg

Spending the night in a wheat field west of Delta, Utah.
aug012.jpg

pete roper said:
I'd probably better ask Daniel but I was thinking of tackling Highway 50 across the Nevada Basin this time around. Anyone done this? it's supposed to be spectacular? Pete

Yeah, Pete, I've done 50 from Cali back to Colorado. Officially "America's loneliest highway." 50 Is a great way to get across Colorado.

If you're doing Rocky Mtn NP, a good plan would be to head south after exiting the west side of the park on the famous "Peak to Peak" highway 40. Work your way south thru the mountains until you reach 50 somewhere around Cañon City. Then taking 50 west will take you thru the Arkansas River gorge, over Monarch Pass and around Blue Mesa reservoir, all Colorado landmarks. At Montrose, don't head north on 50 which will only dump you out on Interstate 70 at Grand Junction, but rather head south on 550. 550 is the infamous "Million Dollar Highway," one of the most spectacular roads in the state. At Durango, head back west for a cruise thru Utah's canyonlands. Much better than droning down I-70 :pinch: You can always reconnect with 50 further west in Utah or Nevada.

Cheers, Larry

pete roper said:
I'd probably better ask Daniel but I was thinking of tackling Highway 50 across the Nevada Basin this time around. Anyone done this? it's supposed to be spectacular?

I chose Hwy 50 as my route to the 2004 National at Mt Rushmore (via Yelllowstone). It sure is America's loneliest highway in my experience.

But just when I thought I'd rode to another planet, along came this guy who left the road in spectacular fashion right alongside me!

Hwy50incident.jpg

He suffered a blowout in his right front tyre. I still shudder to think the consequences if it had have been his left front tyre.

photo_1288844159474-1-0_4.jpg

austral.jpg

Pete, you got to dump the goat if your flight is making an emergency landing in Singapore. Pillion riding livestock on a motorcycle will get caned in Singapore.

goat.jpg

So Pete, I hear this rumor you might go to the Virginia Rally...

...I might have to make it down there, just to be social and all...

:)

As long as the bollock is fixed, (I go in on Thursday!) and I'm sufficiently recovered, (Which I'm pretty sure I will be.) The VA Rally will be a go-er! :cool: .

Be good to catch up. Give Jen our love.

I'm assuming that I'll ride up with Dan and anybody else from down Florida way who wants to meet up. Gary mebee? Anyway. Hopefully se ya there!!!!

Pete

pete roper said:
As long as the bollock is fixed, (I go in on Thursday!) and I'm sufficiently recovered, (Which I'm pretty sure I will be.) The VA Rally will be a go-er! :cool: .

Be good to catch up. Give Jen our love.

Well, obviously best of BolLUCK... and all that.

As of now I'm planning on VA.

Jenn and Smudge (I'll tell ya about Smudge) sends their best too.

Picking up another bike in a few weeks (Italian, not Guzzi despite certain forces pulling me that way), have no idea which one I'll ride to VA - maybe the Harley just cause it fits in the least.

Anyway HANG IN THERE!

Uh, wait, maybe not the best way to say it...

:twisted:

I read about the aquisition of the Deadcat. As you know I'm not a fan :lol: . Did she try a Shiver? Might be a bit taller in the seat but from memory that wasn't a problem for Jen. I really rate the Shiver. I reckon its got one of the absolute BEST motors designed for a bike in decades! A model of elegance and simplicity. If they made a 'Factory' version with top of the range suspension I'd be all over it like a rash! I reckon I cold *Just About* cope with a 'Modern' 750 twin sportsbike but I turned tail and ran, I think sensibly, from the RSV-4 :mrgreen: . Lets face it. It's a 28-33 year olds bike. Not a fat bloke in his fifties bike! Although I still go weak at the knees every time I see one! Maybe in three years time, as a track bike, as long as I can take my Zimmer frame into the pits!!!!! :laugh:

Pete

Back