• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

GReddy 10W-60?

Greyo

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Does anybody know anything about the GReddy GR-1 10W-60 synth oil?
Is it any good?

Says it is made for motors 1.8l and larger what difference that makes I don't know but they are not or at least I did not find where it is recommended for an Oil/Air cooled Motorcycle engine and the SG rating is NOT listed (Zinc Phosphorous) for flat tappet motors which you will find in every V-Twin Guzzi except the Hydro motors circa 2002-2004. There is enough good quality oil readily available on line out there that meets the specs,,Agip,Motorex,Motul and RedLine has come out with a 10w60 product as well.

draidt said:
... There is enough good quality oil readily available on line out there that meets the specs ... RedLine has come out with a 10w60 product as well.
Thanks so much for your input.

Is any of you guys using the RedLine 10W-60 on an 8V engine?

Greyo said:
draidt said:
... There is enough good quality oil readily available on line out there that meets the specs ... RedLine has come out with a 10w60 product as well.
Thanks so much for your input.

Is any of you guys using the RedLine 10W-60 on an 8V engine?

Me!

Been using Redline 10W-60 since first oil change, bike has 8,200 miles now.

Phang

Ignore the black bottle 10W-40, those are for another bike.
oil.jpg

Thanks much for your input, Phang!

By the way, looking at the pics on your posts, you seem to have the cleanest/neatest garage area ever!
(at least, compared to mine, which offers one of the best examples of ever-increasing entropy of an isolated system...).

Me too, and I also have been using it since the first oil change. Now at ~19,500 miles. No pics from here - the garage is unworthy :oops:

Hi Greyo,

I wish I can afford a house with a proper garage here.

I live in an apartment and the bikes are at the basement car park. The backdrop of the picture above was in my living room just across the dining table :mrgreen:

Oil were placed on top of my favorite little "Assistent" tool cart.

Phang

PDSCN6331.jpg

Phang gets his Assistent to tidy up. Right Phang? :lol:
Hey Mowhawkeye I cant take photo's in mine as there is no room to even stand up :dry: :dry: . As soon as I make any space another bike just magicaly appears :?: :?: ;)
Plus if I don't have sumpthin to work on other items move up the list

Living in a 123sqm (1300sqft) apartment (probably the size of the kitchen in average American home), I need to be creative and neat in stowing my tools and other bike stuffs. Otherwise the entire house will smells like a grease pit and I will be sniffing petroleum vapor while sleeping :mrgreen:

PDSCN6333.jpg

my local mechanic claims 20/50w is good enough. I live in tropical humid and hot conditions.
Is there any value in this advice ?

motorider said:
my local mechanic claims 20/50w is good enough. I live in tropical humid and hot conditions.

If you search the forum, there was a post with back up information that Mobil1 15W-50 maintained viscosity over time better than the Agip 10w-60. That said, for the 2 valve engines, I personally would run the Mobil1, especially since heat isn't as big an issue on the 2 valve motors, if a 4 valve engine under warranty, I'd use the factory specified. After warranty and more research is done on oils, I'd have to make a decision. Also under no circumstances would I use a non synthetic oil in a 4 valve engine, even for break in. The heat generated is just too much for non-synthetic oils. Luckily all my bikes are two valve engines so I don't need to make that decision.

motorider said:

You need to find a new mechanic.

motorider said:

If this is an 8V I suggest finding a mechanic who has bothered to look at the motor's design harder than simply giving it a casual glance.

Have a word with Phang. He's well up to speed on this by now and is in your neck of the woods.

Pete

Hi motorider,

I just found out that we are in the same “neck of the woods” :mrgreen:

When I bought my G8VSE new, I was told 20W-50 is fine too.

10W-60 is specified in the owner’s/service manual and there is a service bulletin (010-2006) released in 2006 emphasizing the use of 10W-60. I can't think of a better reason to use something different from what Guzzi recommended.

Phang

Motorider rides an 8V (Stelvio).

Phang said:
10W-60 is specified in the owner’s/service manual and there is a service bulletin (010-2006) released in 2006 emphasizing the use of 10W-60. I can't think of a better reason to use something different from what Guzzi recommended.

Phang

From the Service Bulletin that Phang cited and linked to:

850-1100-1200 SERIES (Breva Griso and Norge):
Engine oil: RACING 4T 10W-60 For this type of engine, we warmly recommend that you use this type of oil since it guarantees ideal pressure values even at very high engine temperature.

The phrase in bold is apparently a poor translation from the Italian. Consider the phrase "we strongly recommend," and you will have the general idea.

Back