• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Griso 1100 Performance

samann

Just got it firing!
Here's a question....If you install a fairly open slip-on, is there a benefit to also installing a free breathing filter such as a K&N or BMC? The bike seems to be running ok, even though I do notice some hints of black (rich) exhaust periodically.
Thanks in advance,
Scott

That's a personal preference thing to some extent. Some (including myself) prefer a free flowing filter even though it typically does not filter out as much dirt. Others prefer to run a stock type paper filter even though it does not flow as much as it gets dirty (the diference is not really much if anything when the paper filter is new).
In theory, the ECU should correct for the increase in flow during closed loop running and the mixture is a bit rich during open loop running so a free flowing intake as well as exhaust should be an improvement. All I can tell you is my bike runs betterl with a Right side exit pipe and filter then it did stock but still could use some tweeking with a PCV when it comes out.

Thanks for the input...Now, where to buy, best price? and what brand? K&N or BMC?
Thanks again,
Scott

Scott, the dyno has proven that a stock element or free-flowing version (K&N or eq.) delivers the same inside of a stock airbox. If you modify the lid, you will see the free-flow versions start to accel, esp. once the stock element gets even slightly dirty. K&N or BMC make good filters... and some will argue that foam is good too. Your call.

Modify the lid? Give me more; don't tease...Drill holes in the top? Open it up? Please give me some detail.
thanks!

samann wrote:
Modify the lid? Give me more; don't tease...Drill holes in the top? Open it up? Please give me some detail.
thanks!
I haven't yet documented it, but on the Calis simply opening the lid gave @5 h.p. surge in the mid-range:

https://www.guzzitech.com/photos/TE-Dyno-OpenAirbox.jpg[/img]

Either cutting numerous holes in the lid, or using the soon coming GuzziTech air-box lid eliminator (similar to below) will do the trick.

265_large.jpg

K&N Store Home | Search for Products | K&N Dealer Search | Cart | Order Status | Contact K&N

I have replaced my stock air box/battery tray with these units. Buy them on line not at a dealer. Dealer cost is $100.00+ each. K&N does not give the dealer a very good break on them.
If purchasing them make certain you remove the air sensor and affix it to the top,the hard fake carbon part of the filter. This way you will still get air measurements. I had build a battery box from carbon fiber and will soon be making more if interested. Cost is unknown at this point but will inform later, here again if interested.
My prototype is working out great but not refined in appearance for proper sell.

K&N Product Information for RP-5164
Universal Air Filters > Universal Air Filter - Carbon Fiber Top

K&N's Universal Air Filters are designed and manufactured for a wide variety of applications including racing vehicles, radio-controlled cars, generators, snowmobiles, tractors, and other applications. Regardless of the angle or offset diameter of the air intake, there is probably a K&N Universal air filter for your equipment. All filters are constructed with ultra-strong molded pliable rubber flanges which absorb vibration and allow for secure attachment and can also be stretched for up to 1/16" (1.5mm) to fit in-between sizes. K&N universal air filters are washable and reusable. [MORE]

RP-5164 Price: $72.22

RP-5164 Product Specifications
Product Style: Round Straight Universal Air Filter
Flange Inside Diameter: 1.938 in (49 mm)
Flange Length: 0.625 in (16 mm)
Flange Type: Centered
Height: 3 in (76 mm)
Outside Diameter: 3 in (76 mm)
Top Style: Rubber
Top Material/Finish: None
Filter Re-Oiling Amount: 0.18 oz (5 ml)
Weight: 0.4 lb (0.2 kg)
Product Box Length: 4.63 in (117 mm)
Product Box Width: 4.63 in (117 mm)
Product Box Height: 4.25 in (108 mm)

Available Information
Large Picture
Medium Picture
Small Picture

Accessories
22-8008PK - Air Filter Wrap

K&N Store Inventory Status
In stock

Copyright © 2009 K&N Engineering, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

I do not know if that will fit the Griso. I will study my filter closer tomorrow...meanwhile, if anyone out there knows if this will work; holler at me, please.
Thanks,
Scott
scootertrash@suddenlink.net

i tried removing the snorkel from my airbox on my g11 but that didnt seem to do much, but i am running the stock filters.

it just sounds cooler when you throttle it though.

The Griso does not take the same filter as the V11s. It takes the same filter as the later RSV Milles. If that filter can move enough air to net 120 rwhp on a Mille, it can move enough air to feed a 70-hp Griso.

I've a modded airbox on my V11 with a paper filter. On the same day, same dyno, I tested it with the set-up shown in Todd's pix. It did indeed pick up a few hp through the midrange, but the paper filter and modded box actually netted more peak power. I'm betting the better ring seal I have 20,000 miles down the road for having run a paper filter will be netting me more mid-range power than if I'd run a K&N and let all that dirt in. Gauze filters do not clog 'cause they're letting all that dirt into your engine.

If you cut your airbox, intake roar will increase substantially. Some people like this giant sucking sound. Others have been deafened by it so they no longer even notice it. I find it annoying, and the longer the day of riding, the more annoying it becomes. It's just another thing to consider.

Back