• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Griso 8V SE or Multistrada 1200S Touring

You remind me of me a couple of years ago. I saw the Griso 1100 a number of years ago and fell in love with the bike. However, I thought about touring and buying a more practical bike so I bought the Multistrada 1100S. Nothing like the new MTS, but it was a very capable bike. It was nice in the twisties and with matching hardbags, I could carry quite a bit. However, I never loved the bike. I sold it in the summer and finally bought my Griso. I bought a 2010 red 8v, and I will tell you that I absolutely love it. Most of my riding are day trips, but I don't see any problem touring on the Griso. It is extremely smooth and comfortable and with shaft drive, I don't have to worry about chain maintenance. I put on a Givi mini-fairing and screen, which does a nice job of deflecting wind. I bought a Coretech rear bag that holds quite a bit. I intend to buy the Hepco C-bow soft bags to use for longer touring.

Bottom line: Follow your heart or you will be looking at the Griso again in a year.

OK, I'm think I'm convinced, I just have to quit overthinking it and be real in what I want. I can't get over the wonderful style and looks of the Griso 8V, so that's that. I'll keep you posted....

I have been riding my Griso 8v for 18 months, and never tire of it. People regularly stop and LOOK for a long time or chat if I'm nearby. Just got the 10,000km service done...nothing to report, change the oils etc and keep riding. But the loaner, what a reminder about the little touches that make G8v fabulous. As for comparing with the faster Jap machines, just watch them in your mirrors at the traffic lights. At legal speeds, they're toast! Slower to get away from the start, and often tricked by the missing 2 cylinders. OK, you'll hear the rev limiters as they pass you eventually, but any copper in sight will be after their license, so who cares about the stats on paper. Best of all, particularly brought home to me whilst on the loan machine (not a Guzzi) was the fabulous sound as you thunder down the highway, with that Guzzi grin, the wind QUIETLY rushing by, that awesome rumble from the engine eating up the curves and straights. Keep the throttle as wide as you dare, its much better at power than just coasting. Keep your eyes peeled!! for 'roos and hairdryers!!

As others have said, you can tour on just about anything. Over here if I'm flying solo I usually take the 8VG.

5005495483_8fe4208f8e_z.jpg

Although it is only kitted up that heavily for rallies.

Lightweight 'Motel' type touring can be done easily, as shown here with Pinko, (Sob!)

4723062975_bc80f5966f_z.jpg

But for touring with Jude? Well I bought this.

3299881074_c19662e612_z.jpg

And it works superbly. So much so I'm thinking of buying one of the GT versions for my next 'American' bike to replace Pinko. Problem is I've fallen in lust with one of these...

5197188745_8865fd4b8a_z.jpg

Probably the LEAST suitable bike for touring imagineable!!! But you only live once :twisted:

Pete

PS. I've been invited to attend a training course at the importer for the first time in six years this month! Main topics of discussion? The 1200 Doso and the RSV-4. Goody!!!!!! Big-wigs from Italy are supposed to be in attendance so I'll take my stick and an ear-trumpet and shout a lot! That'll impress them!!!!

Is the Mana good touring around?
Convenient for both?
Nice ride?
Average speed where you feel comfy? On open road and in the twisties?
Thirsty with the CVT? Average mileage between refills?

I was called by a customer to help dyno it on our dynos and it seemed pretty weird but interesting quantity.
Write a mini review if not a prob!

Mi_ka said:
Is the Mana good touring around?
Convenient for both?
Nice ride?
Average speed where you feel comfy? On open road and in the twisties?
Thirsty with the CVT? Average mileage between refills?

I was called by a customer to help dyno it on our dynos and it seemed pretty weird but interesting quantity.
Write a mini review if not a prob!

Sure, I can rant about the Mana till the cows come home! :lol: Firstly I should point out that I'm a great fan of automatic bikes and scooters which makes me a bit outside the 'Mainstream' of motorcyclists who see scooters as sissy and automatic bikes as the conveyance of wankers. If the thought of either offends you? Stop reading now!

To answer your questions;

Is the Mana good for touring around? Yes. It's superb. As a lightweight tourer it is second to none. It's two minor failings in my book are that the seat is too hard and the suspension is not as good as it should be. The seat is quite livable on longer rides by adding a sheepskin. The suspension, while disappointing if you are looking at it from the standpoint of someone who values good suspension as being, (Along with brakes.) THE most important thing on a motorbike is perfectly adequate as long as one doesn't expect the machine to handle and behave like a sportsbike! Respect its limitations and it is fine. It is also a wonderfull bike to ride in traffic due to the lack of clutch and E-CVT.

Is it convenient? Certainly! Mine has the full 'Factory' baggage and coupled with the 'Glove Box' where the tank should be it has VAST carrying capacity. With all the bags on it will start to wallow around a bit, especially if its windy, once you're over about 140kph (85mph) and this is, once again, mainly due to the non-adjustability of the suspension. Most of the time I just keep the top-box/tail trunk on mine and this gives me plenty of carrying capacity for my *Everyday* needs.

Nice ride? Yup. Once again with the proviso that you don't ride it like a sportsbike. There are three different 'Automatic' modes, 'Touring', 'Sport' and 'Rain' plus the 'False Manual' mode they call 'Sport Gear'. Mine spends 95%+ of its time in 'Touring'. In this mode it has adequate acceleration to see off most other vehicles on the road in the 'Traffic Light GP' but is smooth and feels very relaxed. 'Sport' simply means that the servo motor that controls the movement of the front pulley, (The back one is controlled by 'Conventional' centrifugal variators.) compresses the belt, Moving it 'Out' and therefore raising the 'gearing' higher in the rev-range than in 'Touring' making for sharper acceleration but with a trade off in vibration and fuel consumption. To be honest I think it achieves little and the vibration bugs me so I don't use it often. 'Rain' mode is a sort of softcock, torqueless mode that I think also 'softens' the engine's power delivery in some way, (Spark retardation maybe?) but I'm not sure. It's horrible. Designed to protect morons from themselves I'd guess. I never use it. Ever. 'Sport Gear' simply uses the servo motor to 'Lock' the pulley into one of seven positions giving the 'impression' of a seven speed, 'Clutchless' transmission. The TCU, (Transmission Control Unit) won't alllow you to select a 'Gear' that will over-rev or 'lug' the motor but within those parameters you can 'Shift' either by using the 'Conventional' shift lever by your left foot, (which operates microswitches.) or two buttons on the left hand handlebar switch. Picking your shift point is achieved by observing a row of LED's across the top of the dash that progressively light up as the revs rise, four greens and then a red! You hit the 'Upshift' when the 4th green comes on! especially in the lower 'Gears' if you muff it it's slam into the rev limiter real quick and then the whole machine bucks and jumps about. It takes some getting used to but it can be fun!!!!! As I said though. Most of the time mine stays in 'Touring! Oh, and in any of the 'Automatic' modes you can still 'Downshift' using the lever or buttons and make use of more engine braking but when you apply throttle again it will drop back into 'Automatic' mode.

Where does it feel comfy? Absolutely anywhere between 20kph and about 140! Maximum speed is probably about 200kph probably but it DOES get very squirrely if you hit the wrong series of bumps at anything much over 140. From about 5,000km it has been a bit juddery on take-off, especially when cold. I think this is simply down to the clutch shoes being a bit grabby. The belt moans too when cold nowadays but its not far off replacement I think. Neither of these things worry me in the least. Generally if I'm riding with Jude I stick to around 110-115kph on the 'Open Road' and even luggaged-up there is plenty left in hand for overtaking. One of the things that jude really likes is that unlike a 'Conventional' bike there is none of the lurching fore and aft as one experiences with gear changing.I simply twist the throttle, she leans back on the top-box and we start reeling in horizon. Nice. Comfortable! Ideal for a touring bike!

Fuel consumption? If I stick to the speed limit (100kph.) it'll return about 4.3L/100km I think, (I'll have to double check.) in my 'Normal' mode of riding, with a big screen and luggage, it'll be about 4.7L/100Km thats with me holding between 120-130 and keeping my eyes peeled for coppers! How it compares to something like a Shiver I don't know but itis a delightful engine SOHC, 4VPC with twin plugs and it is fed by a single, quite small, throttlebody. It is NOT designed as a 'Performance' vehicle but it excells at what it does. If I want to behave like a hooligan? The Griso is a far better and more accomplished tool for that job and I'm teetering on the brink of buying an RSV-4 but the Mana is a lovely thing. Oh, and ts brakes are better than the Griso too!!!!! :shock:

Servicing? What servicing? You don't have to look at the valve clearances until 30,000km! Belt change is 'Scheduled' for 20,000Km but the TCU 'Reads' belt wear on start up and when it reaches a critical wear point it will illuminate the 'Belt' warning on the dash. If you leave it too long eventually it reahes another super-critical wear point and the TCU sticks the machine in 'Rain' mode and won't allow you to use any other mode until the belt is replaced. I'm up to 23,000km on mine now and so far I haven't seen the 'Belt' warning, as I said though. I ride mine gently most of the time in 'Touring' mode. Come 30,000Km, or at belt change, whichever comes first, I'll be giving it the 'Full Monty' service with valve lash, coolant change, belt etc, etc. but so far it has been impregnably reliable and is ridiculously easy on the chain! In 23,000 Km I've adjusted it twice!!!! At this rate I'll get 100,000 km out of it! Brilliant!!!!

No, It's not everybody's cup of tea. I'm not for a moment suggesting it is, or that it is some sort of 'Great White Hope' of the future of motorcycling. what it is is a very interesting and enjoyable alternative that is outside the mainstream a bit. I love mine and wouldn't be without it for quids!

Pete

:woohoo: Kudos Pete!
Much more of an answer I could ever expect!
I hope there will be an opportunity for me to buy you drinks if you ever find yourself around here (Athens, Greece).

When touring two-up I think that the last thing you should really care for is attacking corners.
It is much better to chat on the intercom about sight-seeing with the girl on your back and enjoying the landscape together. As long as the bike is pleasant enough and adequate for the job, with nothing worrying you..
So the Mana seems top for this! Aprilia should sell this feature, not only city convinience.
Although I am sure it will be pretty boring touring only on your own with this bike.

I had twice the unpleasant and dangerous experience of belt snap at speed on a scooter I owned and I must say that the belt warning you mention is really a cool feature as a broken belt may mean a disastrous rear wheel lockup. Belt snap has happened after no felt warning a little after the mileage it was supposed to be replaced. First time, it just released power delivery. The second time, it locked for a second as it tangled in the case and I was lucky I was not leaning at a corner. Ok, I was all the time full throttle on this 150cc four stroke moped but it was strange that it snapped just after replacement mileage - like expiration date...
So they have found a way around this danger and that is very reassuring!

The only thing you have not told me is the mileage between refueling stops which I suspect it will be high for such consumption.
And 130kph for touring two up is just fine!

Sorry. between fill-ups? About 300 before the light comes on from memory, (I'll check.) but then there's about 3 litres left so getting on for 400km before you run dry I'd reckon. I have no intention of finding out!!!!! :lol:

Pete

pete roper said:
PS. I've been invited to attend a training course at the importer for the first time in six years this month! Main topics of discussion? The 1200 Doso and the RSV-4. Goody!!!!!! Big-wigs from Italy are supposed to be in attendance so I'll take my stick and an ear-trumpet and shout a lot! That'll impress them!!!!

nice! will you get to blat the RSV4 somewhere - you know for 'tuning' purposes? :D

Back