• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Griso airbox: Tricks to reinstalling airbox ?

ett

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
I have a 2010 Griso 1200 with 130k miles; on which I am in the process of replacing the shock.
I've manged to partially remove the airbox to gain access to the shock, replaced the shock, and am now in the process of attempting to reinstall the airbox.

When I say "partially remove the airbox".
I mean I could disconnect everything attached to it and tilt it up towards the fuel tank.
But I could not fully remove it from the Griso due to the snorkels not fitting through the frame.

While it only took about 15 mins to physically replace the shock. It has so far taken me several hours of attempting and failing to reattach the airbox.

Line up the snorkels, attempt to push onto motor, no go, double check everything, attempt to push onto motor, again no go, double check everything, run my fingers around the lip of the shorkels to verify they are not folding over, attempt to push onto motor, again no go, spend several mins to see what else could be preventing airbox to push back into place, etc ....

Through out all of this I managed to break the drain line that attaches to bottom of airbox.
The top inch of it ripped off. :(

After several hours and making absolutely no progress; I am stuck.

Are there any tricks to reinstalling the Griso's airbox ?

Thanks,
--ET

Too late now, but the shock can be completely removed without touching the air box, sorry to say. You just need a long extension wobble socket. That said, no easy tricks to get it back on, and worse with age as the plastics and rubber harden. Best to you with it! Patience and time is your only friend here.

Too late now, but the shock can be completely removed without touching the air box, sorry to say. You just need a long extension wobble socket. That said, no easy tricks to get it back on, and worse with age as the plastics and rubber harden. Best to you with it! Patience and time is your only friend here.
Anyone want to buy a 2010 Griso 1200 - some assembly required ?

The EV series is also a difficult procedure to get the airbox back in. I use a rubber lube on the shorkels to help slide them into position. If you don't have rubber lube, vegetable cooking oil should work also. I hope this hint helps you.

The EV series is also a difficult procedure to get the airbox back in. I use a rubber lube on the shorkels to help slide them into position. If you don't have rubber lube, vegetable cooking oil should work also. I hope this hint helps you.
Thanks. I had been using grease and then the lube I use for installing tires.
Late last night (7pm eastern); I thought I got the airbox seated. But it did not seem quite right.
It did not sit level under the seat. And it was a struggle fastening it via the two bolts at the back.

But that was the closest I had gotten and it was late.
So I struggled with installing the battery; another stupid design flaw.
It always takes a couple dozen attempts to install the battery WITHOUT the flimsy, rubber, battery box folding under the battery.
And started the Griso.
It started and idled just like normal.
BUT as soon as I gave it any throttle; the motor would sputter and die.
So clearly the airbox was not seated correctly.

So early this morning I took all apart and have been trying to re-install the airbox again. This time using canola oil.
Sad to say it's making no difference.

Been at this for 6 hours so far today.

I've have noticed one thing today.
When one snorkel is inline with throttle body; the other snorkel is off by 1/2 inch.
And when I split the difference so they are each off by 1/4 inch; the back side of each snorkel folds inwards.

Kind of makes you wonder how they get it together at the factory. I've always said the engineer that designs something should be made to work on it.

Don't give up. It will go back together but even if it looks wrong once you get both snorkels started just try to drive it home. In that process they should straighten out.

Got the airbox installed !

Today's weather helped A LOT.
It was in the 90's today. Which means in my poorly vented, unshaded two car garage/shed; it was easily in the 120's.
So the rubber snorkels were much more pliable.

When I got off work, I headed out to the garage and tried again.
After several attempts of getting closer than I did all weekend; but still not succeeding.
I finally said screw it and took a risk.

Instead of trying to use my fingers to seat to snorkels onto the throttle bodies.
I used an old, flat handled, rounded end, toothbrush.

I seated each snorkel as best I could on the edges that I could see and feel with my fingers.
Then I rammed the end of the toothbrush around the inside edges of each snorkel.
I could hear the toothbrush cracking as it bent around the backside of each snorkel and throttle body.
I really thought I was gonna tear the snorkels. But I guess I didn't.

I eventually got the airbox and battery installed.
I started the Griso. It fired right up and idled normally.
BUT that is all it would do.
Giving it any throttle resulted in the motor bogging down and stopping.

After much cussing and head banging; I found the cause.
Sometime during installing the airbox; I had knocked free the throttle linkage to the right side throttle body.
So I pushed the linkage back into place. After which the motor began running properly.
Keeping fingers crossed this linkage doesn't give more problems in the future. 🤞

Took the Griso out for a ride. It never misbehaved.
And the new GTM MShock; even at stock settings; is 1000x better than the stock shock.

I bet once I fully dial in the shock and forks; the Griso will ride like a completely different creature. :)

Thanks everyone for the helpful responses !

--ET

Congratulations on getting her back together. Those plastic rose joints on the Griso can be an issue. Todd at one time had replacement items. Try using the contact tab in the store to ask if any are still available.

Back