• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Griso - Blowing main 30amp Fuse

steve6

Just got it firing!
Hi,
I have a 2008 Griso 8 Valve that keep blowing one of the 30 Amp main fuses ( its the one the links to the generator and the key switch, I can continue to ride it when the fuse blows, but can't re-start it when stopped ) When it blow, it can't be replaced without blowing the new one even with the key swith off. The time has varied between a couple of hours and a couple of days before the fuse can be replaced, when the bikes runs as normal untill it happens again. ( I can tell when it has blown by watcing the battery voltage display, drops to around 12v when blown).
I've tried taking into a Guzzi dealer to find problem but have not been to impressed with there fault finding or diagnostic basically saying they can't find the problem until it becomes perminante and its recoved to them.

Any one else had a problem like this or any idea's what it could be ? I've had a look at a wiring drg. and this fuse only seems to connect to the generator and key switch.

Would be grateful for any guidance.

Remove starter motor cover. Remove *Thing* that holds the earth straps. Clean paint and munt off *Thing* and straps and coat with terminal protectant, vaseline, whatever. Repeat cleaning at battery end of earth strap. Re-install *thingy* and starter cover along with wogged up cable.

see if that fixes it.

Pete

Based on your descriptions and my uneducated guess, I think the section of the Green/Red wire (circled in red) has short to ground intermittently.

Phang

Griso30Afuse.jpg

I bring a similar problem to the conversation with my 2012 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE - Blown 30 amp fuse, but my bike dies...
She up and died on me during my road trip from Providence, RI to Youngstown, OH, leaving me stranded on the roadside in Danville, PA. Here's what happened...

• I rode through light and heavy rain for 100 mi (at this point the rain stops, thankfully) then 35 mi of no rain but with wet roads. Stopped and fueled up.
• I continued on for another 155 dry miles, got gas, but then the bike would not start - all the control lights came on, but the engine could not even turn over. I checked and discovered a blown 30 amp fuse. I changed that and the bike fired right up, so I packed everything back up and made my way.
• I went another 88 miles and the bike died on me while doing 65+ mph. When I came to a stop on the shoulder, the motor was not running.
• I changed the same 30 amp fuse, but the bike would not turn over this time. At this point the battery is pretty much drained.
• The red service light finally comes on...

This is a new bike (picked her up March 9) and already my second major repair in only 2000 miles - the first being a broken clutch return spring which the bike came with.

Any thoughts...? 5 days with the mechanic and the only thing definitive is that the battery was dead :(

fyi - my profile pic is my griso stranded on I-80...

Brian - my thoughts exactly. It's the only 'single' solution that I could come up with that both surge enough to blow a 30 amp fuse and allow the battery to drain.

With that said, I suppose there is the possibility of one problem causing the blown fuse and prevented the battery to recharge while I drove. The first fuse blew just after I fueled up. What if the second fuse went 5 miles later, but took the battery the next 80+ miles to drain...?

Any more thoughts...? Thanks!

Hi,
Just to let you know that I did cure the problem of 30 amp fuse blowing, I had convinced myself that it was an alternator problem or a short somewhere, I checked every where without any luck. I eventually ended up replaceing the ECU ( £800) when I noticed the start of corrosion on one of the pins. This has cured the problem completly although I still can't get out of the habit of keeping the battery voltage on the dash, 13v+ when the engine is running fuse ok and battery charging, 12v or less , fuse blown battery not charging, don't stop won't re-start.
The location of the ecu is not great so riding in wet weather could cause a similar problem with the connector.

steve6 said:
Hi,
Just to let you know that I did cure the problem of 30 amp fuse blowing, I had convinced myself that it was an alternator problem or a short somewhere, I checked every where without any luck. I eventually ended up replaceing the ECU ( £800) when I noticed the start of corrosion on one of the pins. This has cured the problem completly although I still can't get out of the habit of keeping the battery voltage on the dash, 13v+ when the engine is running fuse ok and battery charging, 12v or less , fuse blown battery not charging, don't stop won't re-start.
The location of the ecu is not great so riding in wet weather could cause a similar problem with the connector.

Make sure the ground wire at the ECU has a good connection. Also it may be a good idea to make some sort of shield for the ECU. One of our forum members had his ECU fail after riding in the rain at a rally in North Carolina. Luckily he was in warranty. Dan, Feel free to comment.

This afternoon I checked in with the MG service manager in Wooster, OH, but no resolution yet.  They pulled the original battery to get it fully charged, but it only holds 13.8, rather than the 14.2 it's spec'd for.  So something degraded the battery...

With that info, I called my mechanic at Razee's in RI, and he quickly zero'd in on the voltage regulator as a very likely culprit.  He's seen some charging systems put out over 17 volts, which over a long ride (like RI to OH) can cause problems like what I have, from overheating causing blown fuses and overcharging causing the battery to degrade or simply ruin the battery...

I'll also share your input with the tech, as anything is possible until the problem is resolved and my griso runs without issue...

Thanks again for your help!!!

On the CARC bikes (except Bellagio) the voltage regulator is integral to the alternator. So if you have an over voltage conditions, it is replace the alternator.

well worth spraying ECU connectors and any others you find with a suitable electrical contact oil such as Servisol or whatever you can find in your part of the world.

John, Brian & Steve - Thank you for all your input and suggestions.

Given everything that's been suggested, I think it's time to insist the tech replaces the alternator, if he hasn't already made that determination. In addition, I'll make sure he gives all those vital connection points a once over, confirming they are tight and in good condition, and that he protects them with electrical contact material of some sort.

Thanks again for all the help!
Matt

john zibell said:
. One of our forum members had his ECU fail after riding in the rain at a rally in North Carolina. Luckily he was in warranty. Dan, Feel free to comment.

The location of the ECU on these bikes is truely absurd. I've considered simply encasing the thing in a rubber bag or something, but am concerned about heat or lack of ventilation. I'd be very interested in what Dan came up with...

John - I posted the same call for help on the wildguzzi forum and Dan's chimed in on that thread a few times. George from the same thread (2012 Griso 8V SE - Blown 30 amp fuse) put the link (wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=47878.40) describing Dan's ECU fail and resolution. I used the shotgun approach for diagnosing my Griso problem.

7 days on and the tech who has my bike hasn't nailed it. I'm not ripping on him, I'm just discouraged and thinking I'll be driving her back in a rented van for my MG dealer service crew to resolve.

Even with that, I'm glad to get this experience under my belt - it's part of the motorcycle adventure. And, I've learned a lot about the other issues MG owners have experienced...!

mattm said:
. 7 days on and the tech who has my bike hasn't nailed it. I'm not ripping on him, I'm just discouraged and thinking I'll be driving her back in a rented van for my MG dealer service crew to resolve.

Even with that, I'm glad to get this experience under my belt - it's part of the motorcycle adventure. And, I've learned a lot about the other issues MG owners have experienced...!

I definitely admire your positive attitude on this. For what it's worth, I had my ECU recently replaced under warranty (only one cylinder firing), but it took my shop several months to figure it out, and the process included having MG first send them a "test" replacement ECU to see if that solved the problem. For several weeks while waiting for "my" new ECU to come in, they'd let me borrow the test ECU for some weekend rides.

By the way, I've done a little research, and the following products seem well respected (see http://store.caig.com). I've purchased them from Amazon and will apply ASAP:

1. To clean contacts: DeoxIT DN5 Mini-spray

2. To protect contacts: DeoxIT Shield S5 mini-spray

Wow, months to figure it out - that puts 7 days in perspective. Honestly, I'd feel a lot better if it was my MG dealer doing the work.
After talking with the service manager where I have my bike, and looking back over the days and lack of progress, I'm thinking they haven't "worked" on it until today. Kind of a bummer considering they know I'm 600+ miles from my home and I have to be back by May 25 (cue the background music...)

Thanks for posting info on the products you found. I'll be purchasing them and giving my bike a thorough going over.

Have you run into any other Griso specific (or non-specific) issues...?

mattm said:
Have you run into any other Griso specific (or non-specific) issues...?

No, the ECU has been my only trouble. The months in the shop, however, really brought home the fact good MG mechanics are not in necessarily in every shop that sells the brand. My guy normally worked on Vespas, so you can extrapolate from there. If they're not making reasonable progress, I'd probably just transport it to someone I trusted.

Jlyon99 said:
john zibell said:
. One of our forum members had his ECU fail after riding in the rain at a rally in North Carolina. Luckily he was in warranty. Dan, Feel free to comment.

The location of the ECU on these bikes is truely absurd. I've considered simply encasing the thing in a rubber bag or something, but am concerned about heat or lack of ventilation. I'd be very interested in what Dan came up with...

The ECU ground strap connector had a loose crimp, Water got in there and corroded the connection overnight and it fried the ECU, replaced under warranty and that connection is now silver soldered

Just got a call that the bike is all fixed. Their final analysis is a battery that was never fully charged, and since it was never fully charged it didn't work properly. And, Yes, it was the cause of two blown 30 amp fuses. I've never heard of such a thing, but I'm no MG mechanic either. How does that sound to y'all...?

mattm said:
Just got a call that the bike is all fixed. Their final analysis is a battery that was never fully charged, and since it was never fully charged it didn't work properly. And, Yes, it was the cause of two blown 30 amp fuses. I've never heard of such a thing, but I'm no MG mechanic either. How does that sound to y'all...?

Great !

I do believe I and several others suggested they try a new "Properly" charged battery.

Back