• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Griso feeling question

Adam Davis

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Famiglia
This is a weird comparo, and BMW is BMW. If you’ve owned them for any time, you’ll know what I mean by that. I have (owned several models, c1980-1996 models), and would never go back. I hate the paralever front end, electronics integration, and don’t get me started on parts cost and dealer arrogance of people working on their own bikes. I reluctantly accept R9T's at the GTM shop.

The Stelvio was made as a direct GS competitor, and is a much better street bike IMO. It's fun on unpaved roads as well. A dirt bike it is not.

If you love Guzzi, you’ll buy Guzzi. If you love Guzzi and stray, you’ll be back. If you don’t love them, there’s tons of superior machines out there on paper, and make better sense.

Happy Ho-Ho-Holidays

Tell me this Todd please. Is it a normal characteristic of the "stock" SE Griso 1200 to want to dive and squirrel loose in soft dirt or mud. Or is it how I have my forks set? It's been everything I had to keep control and not drop or crash as soon as tires met the soft stuff on it....I do understand the grizz is a street bike, but God damb if it doesn't want to hurt me whenever I have to go off the pave, forced or otherwise.

Adam

Is it a normal characteristic of the "stock" SE Griso 1200 to want to dive and squirrel loose in soft dirt or mud. Or is it how I have my forks set?

The Griso is delivered with excessive compression dampening. After research and experimentation, I ended up winding mine right off. Now it points where I want it to, not where it wants to go.

At the risk of opening a can of worms, I hated the stock Metzler tyres too. Replaced with Michelin PR4 GT front and rear. Tyre choice is very personal, but in my case the replacements are a world apart.

Despite all this, it is not a dirt bike, there are others that are made especially for the purpose.Whether the V85TT is up to it, we will just have to wait and see.

Is it a normal characteristic of the "stock" SE Griso 1200 to want to dive and squirrel loose in soft dirt or mud. Or is it how I have my forks set? It's been everything I had to keep control and not drop or crash as soon as tires met the soft stuff on it....I do understand the grizz is a street bike, but God damb if it doesn't want to hurt me whenever I have to go off the pave, forced or otherwise.
Unfortunately, they are terrible. The weight, height and geometry just make it dig in. The old Tonti was fantastic on and off road. The geometry and CG of the Tonti is what my GTM builds are most similar to.

The Griso is delivered with excessive compression dampening. After research and experimentation, I ended up winding mine right off. Now it points where I want it to, not where it wants to go.

At the risk of opening a can of worms, I hated the stock Metzler tyres too. Replaced with Michelin PR4 GT front and rear. Tyre choice is very personal, but in my case the replacements are a world apart.

Despite all this, it is not a dirt bike, there are others that are made especially for the purpose.Whether the V85TT is up to it, we will just have to wait and see.
Kiwi D,

That's a trip you're saying that you switched from Metzeler to the GT 4s. Me too, outside of getting a quick puncture and some help here repairing it at my destination. (TY Trout) All within 400 miles of putting them on, mind you....the feel and dive into a turn is so impressive in conjunction with the glued feel is amazing. It was raining the first two days of me running around here in Gainesville which was comfortable while searching out products/contacts to help repair leaking tire. I had no idea this quality was in reach and for only roughly 20% more in price...yeh anyway, no tire thread created here.

My fork is dialed in now and took about three resets full clockwise then back out .25 at a time, primarily compression.Went much faster with Sachs rear. Total time bout 1 week, maybe longer for final tune.

Went off road once encountering a turn, not aggressive enough upon entry into it and just ran off edge onto a short shoulder drop of 2 foot (gradual) and she started plowing. I mean the front dropped down to axle and the oil cooler bottom edge stopped it dead cold, then mudded up my right cylinder fins and the rest of that side. And I then supermaned it landing a few feet ahead of speared bike in that same soft mud perfectly. And let me tell ya, there is such a thing as a good biff....and rode it away after undigging it. Pride only scuffed up a bit....(especially when you know what lean angle it called for and would of held the line under power, and just didn't execute it).

All other mentioned incidents are me taking the bike off road for turn abouts or dirt roadway shortcuts. It is just a front heavy machine I guess. I will always try to avoid, avoidables in future.

Til I get me a new TT, if it's in ALL the cards.....

My Griso was delivered with the Metzeler Roadtec Interac 08. Great on flat smooth surfaces but scary if you run into cracks or rough road especially in a corner. I use my Griso as a fun ride but I am not an "aggressive" rider so I decided to install the Metzeler 01. These tires completely changed the handling of the bike for the better. Smooth ride and no scary suprises on the corners. I highly recommend them.

Back