• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Griso idle adjustment - idling at 2000 RPM

jdelv

Tuned and Synch'ed
I just picked up my 07 Griso. 4500 miles. Staintune. It idles great warming up. Man I love that rotational effect! I rode it home 20 miles. When it was running after the ride in my garage the idle was at 2000 RPM. I noticed it first when I got off the highway after 15 miles. It wouldn't drop. I looked in the service manual for an idle adjustment screw. Couldn't find the info.

a) Why would it do this: idle fine, then high after a ride? Anyone experience this? Is this a mapping problem?
b) Can one manually adjust the idle or is that in the electronics somewhere? Need to see dealer?

Thanks,
Jon :?:

Idle adjustment is done by the stepper motor, there is no manual adjustment.

Go over the basics first and make sure there's nothing holding the linkage open.

Maybe try sychronizing the throttle bodies?

Step away from the linkage adjusting screws, unless the PO or shop messed with it. Sounds like the stepper motor or the idle Throttle body balance, There should be only one air bleed screw turned out.

Just a thought if the bike is new to you, is it possible that the fast idle control on the clutch side of the bars for cold starting has been left in the open position. Bike would idle nicely from cold with this open but then be racing once the engines warmed up. Worth checking.

d15nel said:
Just a thought if the bike is new to you, is it possible that the fast idle control on the clutch side of the bars for cold starting has been left in the open position. Bike would idle nicely from cold with this open but then be racing once the engines warmed up. Worth checking.

There is no manual idle control on late big blocks, only small blocks 750

Sorry didn't realise that. Thought it would be the same set up as my bellagio.

If you do a search for Stepper Motor you should find a bit of info. First thing I would do is make sure the issue is in the steeper motor. One way would be to unplug the hose that runs from the steeper motor between the intakes to the front left corner of the airbox and plug it. The high idle should go away with that hose plugged if the stepper motor is the cause. That is where the stepper gets air from. If that is the cause you can try to fix the stepper, remove it, or do what some including myself have done and put in a valve or switch to turn it off when not needed. I found the motor had more engine breaking as well as returned to idle a little quicker when the throttle was closed and that improved shifting as well as made me more comfortable riding the bike.
If the stepper is not the problem then it could be something holding open the throttle like mis-adjusted cables or something interfering with the linkage.

As already stated above, the idle is handled by a "stepper motor." Some bikes are problematic, some are not. I offer a kit to electronically shut off the air-flow, or there are several manual solutions on this Forum. Do a search here in this section for more info, or feel free to contact me direct.

I rode the bike today on several trips and it idled perfectly all day. I DID NOT ride on a divided expressway today. The 2000 RPM idle only happened when I got off the expressway after a good length ride on it yesterday, but it for sure was hanging at 2000 RPM.

Does that help with any troubleshooting?

So today, no problem. Bike will likely sit for the next few months of winter. Come spring I'll take it to a proper MG dealer to check over and do those things don't do like TB synch...and some of those fluid changes not necessary on the vstrom.

-Jon D

Odd, before you last post I suspected the idle stop screw, aka the sacred screw, both of my buddie's bikes have had issues with a high idle and in both cases it turned out to be the idle stop screw. You can check this by finding a related thread and looking at the pictures. Then you can take a look at yours to see if the yellow paint covering the allen socket has be damaged. On his Breva we manage to get the setting back pretty close to the factory setting - it runs like a top now.

Hope you find encouragement on this forum to tune your own bike, you'll be surprised how easy guzzis are to tune. I can tune my Breva in no time now, seems that they don't go far out of tune when checked at the recommended intervals. I find that the hardest part of the whole operation is getting to the valve cover bolts on my B11.

Yeah, that sounds like the typical stuck stepper issue.
That is the reason I added a valve to turn mine off and others have added Todd's electric valve.
It could have been a one off fluke and never happen again. Many people do not have issues with it. Or you could be like others who have that issue on a regular basis.

In a month I'll be back on the road with my Griso. At that time I want to be ready to isolate my potentially reoccurring high rpm situation to a stuck stepper motor. The hose is now in a position where I can use vice grips on it if this problem continues a next time.

So following GuzziMoto's simple mod here, I positioned the stepper-to-airbox hose like he did. The hose comes out of the top of the stepper motor, does a loop-de-loop and then plugs into the airbox. I took the left side body panel cover off, took the kink out of the hose, twisted it around (it's not clamped on the stepper motor), and plugged it back into the airbox after wrapping it around the outside of the intake, as you can see in the attached pic.

I can now easily add the on/off valve if necessary.

See GuzziMoto's pics too at this link:
https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/topic. ... pass+Howto

Attachments

• stepperhose.jpg
    stepperhose.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 762
jdelv said:
I just picked up my 07 Griso. 4500 miles. Staintune. It idles great warming up. Man I love that rotational effect! I rode it home 20 miles. When it was running after the ride in my garage the idle was at 2000 RPM. I noticed it first when I got off the highway after 15 miles. It wouldn't drop. I looked in the service manual for an idle adjustment screw. Couldn't find the info.

a) Why would it do this: idle fine, then high after a ride? Anyone experience this? Is this a mapping problem?
b) Can one manually adjust the idle or is that in the electronics somewhere? Need to see dealer?

Thanks,
Jon :?:

Mine was also idling at about 1,800 when warm (a new feature after coming back from the shop). What I found is that the zero TPS was at 8.7, in spite of the fact that my local shop had just replaced the ecu and "supposedly" set everything properly. I reset the TPS myself using the Ducatidiag software and it instantly took the idle to normal. It also behaved better at cold startup (fast idle for about 30 seconds; then slowed).

Thanks Jlyon99. If it idles stupid and blocking stepper hose off doesn't fix it, then it's your method I'll try next...won't get a chance to ride it for another 6 weeks... :dry:

8V and 4V parameters and ECU values are completely different.The two are not interchangeable. The fact that the TPS value was wrong on the 8V doesn't mean that the value will be wrong with the 1100. It may be, but for a variety of reasons. My feeling is that both of thses bikes may of had their idle stop screws messed with.

Pete

pete roper said:
My feeling is that both of thses bikes may of had their idle stop screws messed with.

Pete

In my case, the "lower" screw (as marked) was moved, but not the idle stop. Not saying the TPS "values" are the same; simply that the TPS setting being off seemed to have pretty clearly caused my idling issues. If not related, then an amazing coincidence.

Attachments

• Griso 8v_screws_12.18.11a.JPG
    Griso 8v_screws_12.18.11a.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 623
My Idle is quite high but I put a little plastic tap from a beer brewing set into the hose that goes to the stepper motor, you can find the hose just behind the left hand throttle body, about 15 mm thick, if you pull it off the air box to block the hose put some sort of cap over the pipe you pulled the hose off of. When I start the bike I open the tap and close it when it's warm.

hugzy said:
I put a little plastic tap from a beer brewing set into the hose that goes to the stepper motor. When I start the bike I open the tap and close it when it's warm.
Brilliant simple approach! Makes me yearn for a fuel petcock again (was that a clockwise turn for reserve, oops forgot I left it on reserve!). I will have to give it a go should my idle start wandering.

Back